View Single Post
Old 04-30-2005, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
I thought there was an auction for cassettes on ebay several years ago that was stopped for awhile and eventually the guy got the auction through? Is that wrong? I always assumed, maybe incorrectly, that the person who purchased the cassettes, transferred them and put them up for free download. similar to what Nancy will do if she wins.
It's like with Stevie Nicks: different batches of songs come from different sources, in different ways. But the studio material that was gonne be his album at that point was not sold -- it was put up for everyone to grab online. Plus, a few months ago, Brian or Neil or somebody got the lossless version torrented. Unfortunately, I think those torrent sites shut down a few weeks later.

Most of us are probably somewhat split on this whole issue, which is really a couple of issues all in one: Should you infringe on an artist's copyright? Should you buy unreleased material that you yourself get for free? What if you pay some source for it ... is it ethical to recoup your outlay?

I hope everyone would at least agree that you're a big jerk & of no use to anyone if you just download stuff that's free online (file-sharing or Web sites) & then turn around & start burning products out of it just to make some fast money on eBay. That's the absolute lowest of the barrel, & it includes scum who swipe photos off Web sites & then sell cheaply copied photo-paper duplications as "real" photos.