View Single Post
Old 03-18-2005, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Some folks would wonder why we waste any time at all talking to relative strangers, day in and day out, about some senior citizens who record pop music.
Because we're weird.

Quote:
But, as I've said before, the flaw in your argument is the simple fact that I was NOT a die-hard fan the first time I heard "I Sing For The Things"... and 'Mirror' was only the second new Stevie solo album that was released in my early years as a fan, so the songs contained therein could have VERY easily turned me off of her, never to return again (as has happened over the years with many singers I previously "loved").

But I DID relate to songs like "I Sing For The Things" and "When I See You Again" and "Ghosts," even without being a decades-long diehard. And I didn't have to be a rich and famous straight woman in her early 40s to relate to them... I related to the very real longings, desires, fears, etc., that she was singing about. I related to trying to "just get through the day," and I related to depending on music and art to fill the emptiness I was feeling in my own life as I struggled with my sexual orientation and being ostracized by my peers.
I'm glad you take pleasure in them, honestly. As is painfully obvious, I do not. I am of the mind that as soon as an artist begins to write songs about being in a band or being a singer or being famous, they don't have much to offer me. I find it self-indulgent on their part and have no use for it. I don't care if you talked to your famous friend last night or if he wouldn't write your damned songs. It bores me. The underlying feelings are universal, of course, but the ways in which they are being presented turn me off and therefore make me lose interest.

The dude from Franz Ferdinand has a great quote on this very topic, but I'll spare you.

Quote:
I became a diehard because of my love for those songs... not the other way around.
What's your excuse for That Made Me Stronger?

You've told me before that you listen to Stevie to get to know who she is and her life experiences, I do not.

Quote:
As with "Joan Of Arc," you don't agree with my interpretations of Stevie's songs, because you've got her in a little box that you never let her out of.
No, I just think they're bogus interpretations.

Quote:
Nothing in life has any more meaning than that which we attribute to it.
Dude, rent I Heart Huckabees.