View Single Post
Old 07-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Fritz

I hadn't read this particular post of yours and I want to respond to it. Thanks for the compliments on my writing. The reason that any Fritzs music had not leaked out before was because I merely sat on it for all these years (I have given my reasons for this elsewhere). After Fritz disbanded, I didn't want to share that music with anyone, and frankly didn't think any other group or singers could have done justice to the songs. That's the good news. The bad news is I had always hoped in the back of my mind that we would reunite and reissue that stuff--I wasn't going to do it on my own, without their blessing.
In 1967 I was the only composer in the band, later, the others would help with the overall arrangement of the music. AS THE MAIN COMPOSER I WOULD KNOW IF WE EVER AUTHORIZED ANY COMMERCIAL RELEASES.
Yes, that was Lindsey's first time in the studio--his voice vibrato is prominent (not shaky), but such is his talent that he handled everything like an experienced pro. If he was nervous it didn't show. Actually, it was the first recording experience for all of us. Everybody did very well--we were well-rehearsed before we went into the studio. That music was never meant to be released to the public. We were considering signing with that company but later changed our minds. Those were demo tracks. I talked to the engineer of that time just last week. He is a straight-forward and honest man, so I have ruled him out. I hadn't thought about our manager. He was sent to jail in the late 80s or early 90s for embezzlement. But I don't think he was with us yet in 1967 (I may be wrong). Let's face it, in the music business its very easy for managers (or anybody who handles money) to squeeze a little extra for themselves and not tell the musicians. This happened on my very first gig (w/Bob Aguirre), as a sophmore in HS playing a set at a roller rink. Guy was trying to make off with my $15--we stopped him before he sped away!!!
There are other recordings from the later periods. I have most of them. The one biggie that has escaped us was a reel-to-reel tape taken off the board at the Fillmore, San Francisco. We did two auditions there and ultimately, four nights with headliners, Chicago. I think the tape was from one of the auditions, perhaps the second one. ITs a great recording, but the chap who initially held that tape has passed away. Name was Preston Hollander. That is a very historic recording--we're talking 1970. That in itself would constitue a whole album. There is enough Fritz material for about three albums--and I'm talking the best--after the "fat" has been trimmed. It represents material from a band that worked together for three and a half years.
I agree with what you say at the end, and it is something I tried to impress upon Lindsey when last we met (June 27, 2004) only not in your words, which more aptly state the case, and that is, that the Fritz material definitely does "enhance their legacy." I told him, "this is a part of you your audience hasn't heard yet." It is an important part. Let's hope my words sink in and reverberate. There was enough artistry and craftsmanship in those songs (1967-71) that I know will be well received by the public. I am hoping Linds will make some time available for this.
But meanwhile, can ya help me find out more about Karma Records, Jeffrey?

Thanks,

Javier Pacheco