View Single Post
Old 01-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hey, if you can show me that the Irish were taken from their homeland, tortured, forced to live in their own defecation for months on end, were barely given an ounce of food in weeks, were whipped and brutalized dozens of times each month, were hung just for being black, were believed to be monsters here to rape women, and countless other atrocities, I'll be happy to listen.
I don't think you can really compare what two completely different peoples went through like this. You say they weren't taken from their homes, but during the famine they were starved out...then even if they survived the way over to America, they were working in effect, as slaves and sent into war to die for a country they didn't know...not to mention being considered the most vile humans on the Earth (next to the blacks). Let's just say both cultures suffered through much.

Quote:
I submit they are both equally as horrible but at least the slaves got fed, housed, and cared for. The Irish essentially were brought here to die had no such "luxury;" they were considered an expendable resource while the slaves were considered an asset. In fact, the North basically bribed the Irish males getting off of the boats in New York to become citizens right there and then and then shipped them of to fight for the Union Army in the Civil War; which I assert was the same as sending them to their deaths
Very well said...let's just agree to remember both peoples were brutally treated in different, but terrible ways.

Shamus