View Single Post
Old 08-28-2023, 08:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I believe the strings were Christine’s arp string ensemble, which she played herself. I could be wrong. Certainly, the ase is frequently used on Heroes.

The effect of matching riffs, first played by the guitar and then by strings is a kind of call-and-response unison—and it’s very powerful here. That was often used by Green and Kirwan (ie: Like It This Way, World in Harmony, portions of the Madge jams). And, on Rolling Man from Mr. Wonderful, the horns and guitar play off one another this way, too.

In his Penguin Q-A, Weston breaks down a bit of his contribution to Why. He wrote the intro and claims to have arranged the guitar riffs while Christine was focusing elsewhere in the studio on “a trifle concerned with her part.” He believed he should have received partial arranger’s credit for the song.
According to the album a guy named Richard Antony Hewson is given credit for strings. He has worked with many artists including the awesome Jigsaw for their hit single "Sky High" which was just a year or so after Why. I love both songs. The strings offer great effect on both songs. Would it not be wonderful to have sat down with Chris and asked her all these questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Anthony_Hewson