View Single Post
Old 04-17-2023, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Some fun facts:

Say You Will debuted at #3 and was certified Gold shortly after its release. I forgot it debuted so high. However Stevie's TISRL debuted at #5. They had clever ways to get albums to chart with pre-streaming sales(notice I said streaming, not digital). After the first week both albums fell like a rock. It was actually considered a disappointment which is sort of funny. 500k sales of an album today would be insane. Yet back then 500k sales was disappointing. Let that sink in for a moment. The most bizarre moment of the SYW documentary is when Mick talks about all the bickering with Lindsey and the band gave Lindsey most of what he wanted, Mick says "If the album sells only 500k copies, Lindsey is going to be very disappointed." Sure enough that is what it sold.
The music industry passed them by. Rock stations were rare and the songs were not pop hits. There were classic rock stations which only played the old stuff. So SYW was music without a home....only core FM fans ate it up.