Thread: Chart Article
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2023, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
We know Mick was still doing coke well into the 90s. Stevie was out of rehab for cocaine in 1986. Christine said in an interview with, I think The Guardian, in 2013 that she stopped doing cocaine in 1984 during the recording of her solo album. Lindsey and John, I haven’t found any info, but we do know that Lindsey had a trailer set up in his yard during the recording of Tango so the other band members could go indulge in their vices. I can’t imagine this was only for Mick, so I would assume John and Christine may have partook in the cocaine at some point during Tango. I get the impression that Christine was just doing it for fun or like for old time sake to make a little joke out of it. John was probably doing it more with Mick. John was also a big drinker so he was probably still drinking a lot back then. Christine was still drinking a lot well into her post 1998 retirement because she said in her BBC documentary that she was drinking and fell and injured her hip or back and got hooked on painkillers for a while. So I’m sure she was still drinking during Tango too. She also said in an interview at one point during her 2014 come back that everyone in the band had quit drinking and this is the first time she’ll be performing without a drink.
Mmm... maybe she did it for a couple shows lol. I think they were trying to present an image where they had all put the naughty stuff behind them. and i think they really wanted to! But FWIW i heard on 2014 tour Stevie, Mick and LB were all quite straight, but J and C...occasionally struggled.

As anyone who knows me is aware, I adore John and Chris...but I do think sometimes they were both full of **** with regard to what they were saying publicly as opposed to what was really happening. Which i guess isn't really surprising. Over the years they would say in various interviews that they were all healthy and no more substances etc blah blah... but i think a lot of that was untrue, or maybe true if only for a brief while.

It's pretty common knowledge that John was/is 'an alcoholic.' He was constantly trying to get it under control but never quite succeeded... and i don't think he was the only one in that boat-- I'm not so sure Chris was not an alcoholic as well. Esp out on the road, where there was loneliness, and pressure to be good, and a desire to feel confident...even though they had the best of intentions...i think it was easy to slip back into bad habits.

--Lis