View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I mean, you have to appreciate the humor of Lindsey demanding more creative control of the recording process, they give it to him, he takes considerably more time tweaking and adding extraneous parts while boxing them out, and then bitches about how they were just partying. Like, what the hell else were they going to do while sitting around for days on end?!? The longest project I was ever involved with in the studio was nine days. The overdubs were brutal. Luckily, there was a lot of alcohol.

WYWH is a masterpiece compared to the other schlock you mentioned. I would have loved a live version. At least the piano intro lived on with Silver Springs.

And, yet, Christine, who also showed up, didn’t have any filler. Even “Mystified” has a charming, clever retro vibe.

And, that’s maybe the perfect snapshot of the crux. The creative visionary said he had 60 songs ready to record and he went with “Family Man” and “You & I, pt. II.”

ETA: And then he disappeared for five years, making fewer public appearances than Punxsutawney Phil.
I can only imagine the hatred Lindsey would have endured back in 1987 when he left FM, not to mention the accusations of being dried up because of the lack of material being released afterward. Maybe he just needed a break, but I suspect others wouldn’t have been so kind.

Tango is usually hailed as being good because of Lindsey’s work and production, to which I say, then what about When I See You Again and Family Man? Call Big Love, Little Lies, Everywhere, Seven Wonders, and Isn’t It Midnight excellent (which I do) but then throw in WISYA, FM, and maybe even Welcome to the Room (which I think usually gets a pass because once we learned it was about her stint in rehab, it kind of made sense), and Lindsey should get as much blame as he gets credit.

Something I have always wondered about, ever since I read someone’s firsthand account of being at the MTV taping of the Dance, was how the intro to Wish You Were Here is pretty much lifted from Silver Springs. I remember the guy wrote he and his friend thought they were going to perform WYWH when they started the opening riff and were shocked when Stevie started singing SS. I mean, was it unintentional on Christine’s part, or a subconscious swipe? Was Christine inspired by SS? I actually think it’s cool, that they sound so much alike at first, just wondering how that might have came to be.