View Single Post
Old 07-20-2022, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
There are multiple shots of her up close painting, laying, and carrying a painting.
I’ve always thought “Hold Me” was a much-better-than-average video, with lots of little production touches and colors that took you on a little journey into a famous painter’s style. Just watch some of the other MTV videos from 1982 to appreciate how hip “Hold Me” is. In 1982 all the bands were doing the same thing in their videos: standing on a pretend stage and lip-syncing or acting out stupid little mini-dramas, heavy spotlights from behind, wind and fog machines, petroleum jelly or stockings over the lens to make everything look gauzy, dancers in stiletto heels (all the cliches that “Love Will Show Us How” was poking fun at). Michael Jackson was doing videos that were actually good, as everyone knows, but who else? Springsteen did an excellent video for “Atlantic City” which ignored all the conventions and cliches, but that was a rare exception in the early 80s. Most of the dreck I watched every afternoon after class was like “Don’t You Want Me Baby” or “My Angel Is a Centerfold” or “Who Can It Be Now” — videos that were only tolerable because the song was cool. Now they’re all just corny nostalgia. But “Hold Me” is good corny nostalgia, visually.

Edit: Peter Gabriel, “Shock the Monkey” — excellent.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 07-20-2022 at 06:09 PM..