Thread: FM takes on…
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2022, 07:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonchaser View Post
I've always loved this song and looked into this. From the article I found, Trevor Rabin wrote the song for Stevie and she actually went in to record it back in 1982. She was pretty far along and even changed around some of the lyrics. While Stevie was working on it, Trevor played his version for the drummer from Yes. The drummer thought the song sounded like a big hit and was furious that Trevor gave it to Stevie. He convinced Trevor to go back to Stevie and ask her for the song back.

The timing in the article seems odd since Yes released the song in 1987. I always thought it was meant for Rock A Little but if the article is correct it would have been for the Wild Heart.
I've heard that story too. It was written for her during a time Stevie did not have much interest in music (unfortunately). Her RAL era was a disaster. She still had a vault of incredible songs but no one to shape them because few could tolerate the all party no work philosophy. It was a sincere gift to her and she blew it. Instead the record company found these cheezy sugar pop songs for her to sign instead, just to finish a record that was long over due.
The story of the sound man that was posted here several months ago about the ham sandwiches really crystalizes this era. They waited all day for Stevie to show up late at night to sing HAEWAFY. The studio had to be ice cold and she shows up in a giant mink coat late at night and then sends someone out to some convenance store for wonder bread and deli meat. There are no good delis open that late so they got the cheap stuff and she made sandwiches for everyone at 1am. She could have catered a nice affair. But her point of reference was when the Mac was being creative and staying up all night recording and she made sandwiches. In her mind, she was going through the same process. But sadly this was just her mind rationalization. She just was high and the album was almost an inconvenience for her.
Its probably a good thing Yes got back the song. She probably could not see or care what the song was. That was not her interest during this time.