Thread: FM takes on…
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2022, 07:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default FM takes on…

I know a lot of people don’t like it when the big 3 do covers, but I’ve always enjoyed Blue Letter, Farmer’s Daughter, and Seven Wonders. I’ve read that These Dreams by Heart and I Get Weak by Belinda Carlisle were originally intended for Stevie, which got me thinking about songs Lindsey and Christine could have recorded that would have fit their voice and style.

I can’t help but think Christine would have sounded so good singing We’re All Alone by Bob Scaggs and later Rita Coolidge. I also think she would have nailed Midnight Blue, originally by Melissa Manchester. Both songs feature piano, another plus.

For Lindsey, I could see him singing Stand by REM. In fact, I really think a lot of Michael Stipe’s songs with REM could be performed incredibly well by Lindsey. I just recently noticed that Stipe seems to have been influenced by Lindsey’s music- Shiny Happy People as compared to Holiday Road, for example. Likewise, I could totally see Stipe singing I Know I’m Not Wrong or Book of Love. Lindsey’s writing style is so different from Stevie’s, but he makes Crystal sound so good. I wish he would try more sweeping songs, with an actual story, kind of like Go Your Own Way. I don’t think of Lindsey as a storyteller in that regard, but GYOW is a story. Imagining Lindsey take on Invitation to Life by REM kind of sends a chill up my spine… in a good way, of course!

I just wondered if there were any songs by other folks you could picture FM performing, or the individual members.