View Single Post
Old 12-19-2021, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I think this is a slippery slope of a topic… the same could be said of so many different singers. I mean, Pat Benatar, Belinda Carlisle, the Bangles, the Go-Go’s, Elton John, Foreigner, Def Leppard, Heart, etc. I have no idea how many of them toured with, recorded with, wrote music with, or just in general worked with people of color, but I’m sure an argument could be made for each and every one of them pro and con when it comes to this topic. Including Lindsey and Christine. Stevie has had people of color in her touring band, and I think FM has as well. I don't know anything about Stevvi Alexander but I know Stevie’s had minority backup singers as well. Her main two have always been Sharon and Lori, but I’m sure she jumped at the chance to have Marilyn Martin singing backup, I mean she’s incredible! She wasn’t about to let Sharon go, she’s been with Stevie since 1981, so letting Stevvi go doesn’t have to mean Stevie is racist- otherwise, she wouldn’t have used her in the first place.
How about letting Lenny Castro go?
If you read my post that you responded to, I wrote that Clapton and Stevie both have men of color in their touring bands.
One can play on stage and hire a person of color and be a racist. Look at Milo Yiannopoulous... he married a person of color and Milo's s*** of the Earth.

Clapton went on a rant on stage spewing racist words. You can find the reports online.

But the point of "otherwise, she wouldn’t have used her in the first place" can't be guaranteed.

Stevie released Show Them the Way and used the names of monumental, frankly saintly, black men to sell her song. She disrespected Dr. Martin Luther King (just another night in the presence of Martin Luther King; threw his name out as a jingly pop lyric in the song: Just another night!... Martin Luther King; a song would set them free?!!! - is it tone deaf or cluelessness?) and "my old friend John" Lewis...who the f does she think she is???

She is my favorite artist of all time. But she's enjoyed privilege and shelter her entire career.

Last edited by UnwindedDreams; 12-19-2021 at 09:42 AM..