View Single Post
Old 02-14-2021, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I'm in Miami now. There is actually a Pittsburgh accent. Bill Cowher is the poster child for that accent. I don't think I have one but a few years ago I went to an eye doctor here in Florida and he asked me if I was from Pittsburgh. I was shocked. He was from Pittsburgh and picked up on it. We both had not lived there for a quarter century.
Yes we say pop too. TN is also part of the Appalachian valley.
Its hilarious you say sweeper because NO ONE knows what the hell I am talking about. I thought that was only a W/PA thing but apparently not.
Now here is the kicker. Even though I grew up only an hour from the W/VA border, we really thought they were inbreds and had a million jokes about West Virginia. Remember the MTV show Buckwild? It was the Jersey Shore of W/VA. It actually got cancelled because it was so controversial. Anyway, about 15 years ago when it was on I was flicking past the channels and it was on. All their crazy stuff I was like OMG, we did that too. That's when it hit me, OMG we are the same!
Now the million dollar question. Do you know what tick tacking is?
I grew up(HA) in central Indiana. I have a house there and a condo in Nashville, and go back and forth every couple of weeks. It's only a 3.5 hour drive.

I went to France in high school, and there were a bunch of girls from New Jersey who told me I sounded like a big hillbilly. That instantly made me aware of my accent, and I lost it. Although if I'm hanging out with redneck guys, I use it for them.

I say pop more than soda, but catch myself saying both.

I have a good friend from WV, and we joke about it a lot!

I don't remember Buckwild. I live under a cultural rock(notice how I specialize in listening to 40yo bands?).

I've never heard of tick tacking? Fun with Tic Tacs(candy mints)?