View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I have no doubt that the instrument track is from one of the nights in St. Louis (1979), as advertised. If you’re inclined, compare the tempo with the tempo from the video. Should be pretty darn close, if not identical. The opening vocal stanza is not the studio — it’s an exact match with the live vocal. The discrepancy makes you scratch your head: if you are rerecording the vocal in the studio, why wouldn’t you do the opening stanza too? I think there was a lot of cocaine around — things that happened in 1979 and 1980 were as inexplicable as anything that happened in the band in 1967 or 1971.

Perhaps the album vocal is from one night on tour where Stevie had some chest cold, and was included so as not to duplicate the plans for the video documentary. If Richard Dashut is still compos mentis, someone should ask him.
Maybe the opening stanza of Sara was not changed because its the best opening stanza ever. Of every live version of Sara, THIS is my favorite. IMHO, I dont care for the long drawn out fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre. I attribute that more to her solo version of Sara. IMHO, the shorter stanza, the better.
Although the opening stanza matches the vocal exactly through the entire song IMHO.