Thread: RIP David Bowie
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 09:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
"David Bowie?! I met David Bowie. He had nothing to say to me. So, no, it isn't about David Bowie."

-- Introducing SARA in Buffalo NY, July 2, 1983

"Like David Bowie, Nicks has spent a career turning her private fantasies into an elaborate pop mythology. And even when she gets carried away, she still has that soulful ache in her voice"

- Rolling Stone Magazine, 1998
Oh dear. I do see similarities between them though and in a more recent interview she was reported as saying 'I'm a big fan of David Bowie.' They were both quite ethereal and I think Stevie may have a few personas. Perhaps artistic representations of different sides of herself.

They would have all had mutual friends. FM and Bowie both recorded albums at the Honky Chateau. Both started in England in the 1960s. But they may have been into different scenes at that time.

Bowie's long time producer Tony Visconti has said that he was actually planning a new album and even though he knew he was terminal, he thought he had more time. There are some stories that he has already been cremated - the family won't confirm or deny. They're giving away very little to the media, but have announced there will be a private service.

From his official FB page:

Quote:
THANK YOU

The family of David Bowie is currently making arrangements for a private ceremony celebrating the memory of their beloved husband, father and friend.

They ask once again that their privacy be respected at this most sensitive of times.

We are overwhelmed by and grateful for the love and support shown throughout the world.

However, it is important to note that while the concerts and tributes planned for the coming weeks are all welcome, none are official memorials organized or endorsed by the family.

Just as each and every one of us found something unique in David's music, we welcome everyone’s celebration of his life as they see fit.
It is nice to see him being recognized. Always thought it was a shame he went a bit off the radar when so many present acts seem heavily inspired by him.