View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
???To dupe the public isn't the smartest marketing tactic. Tusk was all over the radio then, so people were informed the album was not what they expected. Sara, and to a lesser extent, Think About Me were also staples on the airwaves. Lindsey was very forthcoming about not wanting to make a Rumours two. In hindsight, the album has grown immeasurable respect over the years, so the artistic risk eventually paid off in artistic merit. It just took a decade or two to season well, viewed with a fresh perspective. Having that album in their discography makes the band all the more interesting/dynamic.
I think Tusk was a bit ahead of it's time, too. When it first came out nearly everyone was like "Wha..?" (although it did get a good review in Rolling Stone).

To me, the one weak link on Tusk is actually McVie. She does have some gorgeous songs on there - I'm thinking "Think About Me" and "Brown Eyes" - but none of her Tusk songs have the pop music hooks that she had in her songs on Rumours or on Mirage or Tango.

On Mirage, Lindsey is the weak link. It's probably from being burned on the commercial "disappointment" that the label and band felt about Tusk, which everyone blamed on Lindsey's punk-ish streak.

On Tango, the weak link is Nicks. Her self-penned songs don't hold a candle to her previous work.

So for me, ever since Rumours, every album that had the McVie/Buckingham/Nicks songwriting triad has had one of the writers not up to their usual standards of material.