View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like the glamor shots fine, as a change of pace. But these artistic beauty shots would be even more stunning if they captured the real essence of a person, rather than making them look like something else.

When Hurrell did the old stars, I loved how he caught a part of them that was there, but not always seen. To me, Joan Crawford always looked harsh and I never thought of her as romantic, but he did pictures of her with Franchot Tone that were so lovely I wanted to make a poster out of them. He brought me in touch with a side of her that existed in her early movies, but that I had not previously been aware of.

Now with the Hollywood actors, since they did look that way in their movies, it was great to bring the same thing to still photos. However, with rock stars, I'm not sure you want them to look like Hollywood actors from a 1930's film.

If he'd brought out more of Christine's natural elegance, rather than transforming her that would have been even better. But I cherish the shots we have.

Michele