View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Law & Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Aside from that, the actual music is a little polarizing. I don't mind that at all. I love different stuff. But it also contains my least favorite Lindsey song ever: "September Song," a tune so uninspiring to me that I try to pretend it doesn't even exist.

But it also has some really, really cool stuff that I dig. So I'd love it if you all could join me in a little discussion- general or song-by-song. I'm going to start with the very first track of course...
"September Song" is a cover from the early 1940s. I always imagined that it was a song he grew up listening to, or was one of his parent's favorites. It has been covered by numerous artists and groups over the years, including Frank Sinatra (3 times), Nat King Cole, Jimmy Durante, Maurice Chevalier, Pat Boone, Andy Williams, Mel Torme, Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Willie Nelson, Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Eartha Kitt, Patti Page, Lena Horne, Rosemary Clooney (George's mother), Dion & the Belmonts, The Platters, and Peter, Paul & Mary. The most interesting might be from Lou Reed, who recorded two decidedly different versions and James Brown, for a Jazz album. I realize that isn't going to make you like it, but obviously it has a rich recording history.

Johnny Cash's cover of "A Satisfied Mind" written in 1955 is many people's favorite song.

Not to be anal, but "Bwana" was performed in Cincinnati, not Cleveland. He utilized a comb with tissue paper over it for the kazoo sound. It was also performed live on Saturday Night Live as the first song he performed that night in 1982. "Trouble" was the second song that night.

LB has stated that L&O was a "musical side show" fit in between FM albums and other demand of the band (as was "Go Insane"). Definitely recorded to exercises the left side of his palette. I listen to it in its entirety once or twice per year. Only "Trouble" is in a regular rotation on my iPod. To each his or her own.