The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ghostbusters (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=7539)

jeffles 10-16-2002 08:51 AM

Ghostbusters

Not sure who else is aware, but LB was originally cited to do the theme song for Ghostbusters, which would have completely opened his solo career. I wonder why he never did the song. Instead, we were left with Ray Parker Jr...

chiliD 10-16-2002 09:19 AM

Maybe Lindsey already had figured out that the "Ghostbusters" song was a direct rip from Huey Lewis' "I Wanna New Drug" and wanted to avoid the litigation. :shrug:

sulamith 10-16-2002 11:25 AM

I read somewhere a long time ago that the production people for Ghostbusters wanted Lindsey to write the Theme song for that movie because they liked the sound of Holiday Road and Dancin' Across the USA that he had done for Vacation.

Apparently, when Lindsey was approached, they found he was not interested in doing the project. Lindsey later said in one of his OOTC interviews that he felt he had already done that and didn't want to do it again. You know Lindsey.

Anyway, the Ghostbusters folks hired someone to write a song with "that Lindsey Buckingham sound" for Ghostbusters. IMHO, they fell pretty short. I hate that Ghostbusters song. Everytime I hear it I can only think of what Lindsey could have done with a wierd and quirky movie concept like that. I wish he had gone ahead and done it myself. I think it would have made alot more people appreciate his uniqueness, and it would gotten him a little more name recognition. Most people recognize Holiday Road right away, but they have no idea who sings it.

Besides, if you have seen the Slow Dancing video, you know he has a thing for ghosts!

bjk3047 10-16-2002 04:00 PM

Yay! I get to be a help here :) Direct quote from Lindsey's "Words and Music: A Retrospective" -
"Ivan Rightman (sp?) I met not too much after [Holiday Road], he wanted me to try the Ghostbusters thing. But my attitude was, 'Well, you know, I don't want to get sort of loopholed into this kind of thing. I mean obviously we did it well once, I think at least for now let's leave it at that'. "
Hope that helps
-Brian

jeffles 10-16-2002 04:12 PM

"Reitman"...

not sure what he meant by "loopholed" since he'd only done one other soundtrack-that doesn't exactly make him another kenny loggins (movie theme song king!).
LB wound up contributing "Time Bomb Town" to back to the future not long after, but who knows whether that was written specifically for the movie or just handed over...

bjk3047 10-22-2002 03:22 PM

Holday Road
Dancin' Across The USA
Time Bomb Town
On The Wrong Side (With Honors)

I'd say that's enough to be loopholed into the movie thing. Plus I think he was saying that with the extra popularity of Ghostbusters, he'd be loopholed into the role for the rest of eternity. Happened to Ray Parker Jr....
-Brian

Barbara 10-22-2002 09:47 PM

Loopholed?

Don't you think Lindsey meant "pigeonholed"?
Barbara

bjk3047 10-22-2002 11:53 PM

Hey, his words not mine. I'm sure he meant pigeonholed, but he said "loopholed" on Words and Music. Close 'nuff :D
-Brian

DownOnRodeo 10-23-2002 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bjk3047
Holday Road
Dancin' Across The USA
Time Bomb Town
On The Wrong Side (With Honors)

I'd say that's enough to be loopholed into the movie thing. Plus I think he was saying that with the extra popularity of Ghostbusters, he'd be loopholed into the role for the rest of eternity. Happened to Ray Parker Jr....
-Brian

That makes sense. After all, this was a defining moment in his solo career, and Ghostbusters would have come pretty soon after Lampoon's Vacation. After all, you can add Twister/Twisted to the list.

Skylark 10-23-2002 07:33 PM

Ghostbusters!!!

That article said I. Reitmann asked Lindsey to
write the Ghostbuster music and ...etc...etc...
Now take a listen to the song Lindsey wrote ...
Gift of Screws! It has a Ghostbusters guitar vibe!
The words even repeat in a like manner! :D Sky :)

seteca 10-23-2002 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Barbara
Don't you think Lindsey meant "pigeonholed"?
Barbara

and

Quote:

Originally posted by bjk3047
Hey, his words not mine. I'm sure he meant pigeonholed, but he said "loopholed" on Words and Music. Close 'nuff :D
-Brian

You're both wrong! What he meant to say was "Cycled".

:p

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

wondergirl9847 10-23-2002 09:25 PM

seteca...

Quote:

Originally posted by seteca
You're both wrong! What he meant to say was "Cycled".
:lol::laugh::lol: LMAO!! "It was the spectre of singing movie tunes that caused me to...not want to do it....not want to help them."

GOTTA love Liddy Buck!! :nod::D:laugh:

seteca 10-23-2002 09:30 PM

Re: good one!

Quote:

Originally posted by wondergirl9847

:lol::laugh::lol: LMAO!! "It was the spectre of singing movie tunes that caused me to...not want to do it....not want to help them."

GOTTA love Liddy Buck!!

LMAO!!

p.s. When he takes his children to McDonald's do you think he asks if they do any "package deals" for kids?:p

wondergirl9847 10-23-2002 09:51 PM

seteca...

We are on a roll tonight!! LMAO!! That's RIGHT, he goes to Micky D's with US, when we listen to ISA!! WOOHOO!! LOL

See, he can't take ONE kid to Micky D's without taking the OTHER KID...that's his OTHER package deal. LOL

"I'm a hermit...in a pigeonhole baby...come, come, come on and let me out.." - Here is how Lindsey keeps up with the pop trend, but still uses his life as an inspiration!! LMAO!!

Sorry folks, seteca and I need sleep...and LOTS of it!! :laugh:

seteca 10-23-2002 09:55 PM

Re: seteca...

Quote:

Originally posted by wondergirl9847
.....Sorry folks, seteca and I need sleep...and LOTS of it!! :laugh:
Tell me about it!! It's what....10/11pm where you are..? It's 4am here!!! I am truly an "addicted", and very tired, Ledgie...:)