The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Introduce Yourself Here! (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=47148)

Dex 05-29-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1094331)
i never come to chitchat, but someone told me about some posts to check out here.

so since i'm here, i also want to say welcome to you Dex - it's been so great to have your calm, collected, and measured presence on these boards! :thumbsup:

Thanks Elle! You make me feel all warm and squishy. ;)

TimeCastASpell 06-26-2013 11:15 PM

Hey everyone!

I'm new here (though I feel like I may have been a not very active member around a decade ago?). My name is Tzipora. I'm in my 20's and I call myself a lifelong Mac and Stevie fan though I suppose I technically got into them in my preteen years. They were a big part of the music I feel I grew up on. In fact I can still remember exactly where I bought and first heard most of their albums. And the joy when I was in my early teens and started hanging at a record store and set out to find Rumours on vinyl and succeeded! I was also really into gothy dress and music and shawls and capes and all. And I have so many memories of shopping for clothes and rattling on and on about how "Its so Stevie!" Or "Oh my gosh Dad, LOOK! A Stevie Nicks-esque dress!!!!!" And I was a big writer. I blatantly stole certain lines of Stevie's and threw them in my poems. And every story I wrote for years, the main character was named Rhiannon! And occasionally Sara or Stevie. Think I was maybe introduced to Stevie first around the release of Trouble In Shangri-La. I was heavy into dance (Stevie being a dancer always held a lot of appeal) and I remember my favorite dance teacher playing the album. I was obsessed right away!

I don't think that obsession ever really died. At least I've never stopped loving FM and Stevie but I got older and life happened and all of that. I also ended up getting really sick in the last several years. So I'm on disability now and have a handful of rare life threatening severe diseases. And that's basically taken over my life. But I had a beautiful reprieve two weeks ago when I got to cross off an item from the top of my bucket list!

I saw Fleetwood Mac in Detroit for the first time!!! Took a friend who likes them but isn't really a big fan and we were both blown away. And for me it was hands down the best day I've had in forever. We waited forever to buy tickets (kind of hard when you're on a fixed income and my medical treatments are wildly expensive. And hard to trust how I feel but I said I didn't care if I ended up in the hospital the next day, I WAS GOING TO SEE FLEETWOOD MAC!) We ended up with really cool seats. I use a wheelchair so we sat in accessible seating and were on the side of the stage and up. We were closer than most actually. It was pretty awesome. Except that John was on the other side so I could hardly see him and Mick was blocked by the cymbals of the drum set much of the time. But I got some AMAZING photos of Stevie and Lindsey especially. And I was singing along to every song. I couldn't even speak the next day because I was so hoarse from screaming! And disabled or not I was even up dancing half the time (as was the other person in a wheelchair near me. Fleetwood Mac is just that good! ;) and was dressed in Stevie-esque clothing and a vintage penguin logo shirt. I had the most amazing time!!!

So now my obsession is roaring. Haha. My friend keeps telling me I've "got it bad". I'm constantly quoting songs, sending him links to interviews, rattling on and on about how now I have to meet them! And I would give anything to spend the day with Stevie.

And it makes me happy. No matter how much pain I'm in or how crappy my life can be, I just love listening to Fleetwood Mac. I feel like I'm at the concert again. It gives me something to focus on. And Stevie has probably influenced my life in various ways more than anyone. Very little connects my past when I was a healthy dancer to my present but my love of Stevie and FM does. I'm so grateful for that. I'm so glad they're still rocking after all these years too. I always thought I was born at the wrong time so I'm glad I finally got to see them! And watching Lindsey run around the stage, my friend and I agreed he's got more energy than the both of us 20-something's together!

Anyway, not sure how active I'll be or not. I hope to but my joints are deteriorating in my wrists and fingers and its very painful for me to type (and I'm rambly ;) so I don't even type much or get to do art which I love anymore. But I'm definitely around lurking and reading and getting my fix of the Mac!

vivfox 06-27-2013 09:12 AM

TimeCastASpell, I am glad you are here. Fleetwood Mac's music can be a very warm, comforting and healing experience. My best to you. Welcome!!!:xoxo:

The Highwayman 07-06-2013 12:44 PM

Hello, all.

I'm new here but not new to FM/SN/LB. Been a fan of all three since about 1997-1998.
Stevie is my favorite member of the Mac, but man Lindsey is a very close second. I love both their solo work as well, and feel that Bella Donna and Out of the Cradle are the two best albums Fleetwood Mac never made. Wonderful stuff. Bella Donna particularly; it's perfection.
Anyway, I've never seen FM or Lindsey live, but I did go see Stevie live back in 1998 on her Enchanted tour. It was wonderful, probably the best concert I ever experienced.

My favorite Fleetwood Mac album is a 3-way tie between Rumours, Tusk and Mirage. I'm leaning more towards Mirage, though. My favorite FM song is 'Gypsy' with 'Dreams' in second place.

My favorite Stevie Nicks solo album is absolutely Bella Donna. A distant second would be The Wild Heart. My favorite solo Stevie song would be 'Sleeping Angel'. Utterly beautiful.

My favorite Lindsey Buckingham solo album is of course Out of the Cradle, followed closely by Under The Skin. My favorite solo Lindsey song is either 'Soul Drifter' or 'Cast Away Dreams'.

Haven't heard too much of Christine's solo work, and don't own her three solo albums, though I hope to at some point. I may be a Buckingham Nicks junkie, but I do love Chris and I really miss her in FM.

Anyway, look forward to babbling on about everyone's favorite soap opera musical, Fleetwood Mac and its five fireflies.

Desiree 07-28-2013 02:53 PM

Hi everybody! I'm Desiree. I've been a fan since the Bob Welch FM days, but I'm a Rumours Band girl! And, I love me some Stevie Nicks! So great to see FM coming back around to such good reviews! Don't know what the future holds but it looks pretty good right now! I love the music, the relationships and the mystery....fabulous!

Dex 07-29-2013 01:54 PM

A big (and from the look of your join date, belated) welcome to you, Desiree. I've been enjoying your posts here very much! Keep it up. :)

Desiree 07-29-2013 03:24 PM

Thanks, Dex! I've always loved this site, lots a lovely, funny people who live and let live as much as possible! Hard to when emotions run high but obviously possible! I like that!

PinkCollins 08-17-2013 09:56 AM

Hello. Long time lurker here.

I am a UK fan here. Only 23, but I've been a fan of FM for as long as I can remember. Tango in The Night is my top album from the Rumours lineup - but only because I remember it being played in the Car as a kid. Big Stevie Nicks fan too, very envious of her vocal abilities.

Dex 08-17-2013 12:17 PM

Welcome aboard, PinkCollins! :) Wherabouts in the uk are you based?

moon 08-17-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkCollins (Post 1100523)

I am a UK fan here. Only 23, but I've been a fan of FM for as long as I can remember. Tango in The Night is my top album from the Rumours lineup - but only because I remember it being played in the Car as a kid. Big Stevie Nicks fan too, very envious of her vocal abilities.

Hi! I'm 23 too, but an FM fan too!! My fav album from the Rumours lineup is Mirage. I'm a Lindsey fan but Stevie is a great singer and a very talented musician, I love her music!!
Welcome!
Mark.

TotallyTusked 08-18-2013 02:16 AM

Heyyy I'm Bec! Long time lurker of The Ledge forum, down here in Australia, and I decided over time that I wanted to add to lots of stuff on here, so I did the obvious and got an account! Woohoo! Anyway, it's awesome to be here!! I'm only 14 years old and a BIG Fleetwood Mac fan. They've been my fave band since I was about three years old and I heard Landslide for the first time. ;) (but the best FM song for me is probably Beautiful Child)

Erm, my favourite Stevie solo album is Rock A Little, just love Talk To Me and If I were You, the album itself didn't do as well as the 2 before it but I just love the music.
And my favourite solo album of Lindsey's is by far Go Insane. Somehow it just does it for me. More electric than the traditional instrumentals on his other albums. Just different and awesomely weird, I suppose.
I really don't know a thing about Christine's solo stuff, never really followed through with it as much as SN or LB's.

I'm definitely a Tusk girl, coz I love the creativity in it and the contrast from Rumours, that's what makes FM as a band stand out for me. And the fact that Lindsey did a lot of the work by himself is kinda inspirational. :)
I love both Lindsey and Stevie probably the most (it's sooo hard!).... Lindsey's so incredibly talented in every way and Stevie's voice is amazing. Again, glad to be here! :D

Dex 08-18-2013 04:24 AM

Welcome TotallyTusked! Hope you enjoy your time here. How cool to be a FM fan so young. :)

Jeesh. You guys know what music I liked when I was 14?

Celine Dion. :(

vivfox 08-18-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dex (Post 1100574)
Jeesh. You guys know what music I liked when I was 14?
Celine Dion. :(

ROTFL :laugh::laugh::laugh:

vivfox 08-18-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkCollins (Post 1100523)

Are you also a fan of Pink and a fan of Dark Shadows? Welcome!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TotallyTusked (Post 1100563)
Heyyy I'm Bec!

Welcome. So young with such great taste in music. Glad to have you!

PinkCollins 08-18-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dex (Post 1100529)
Welcome aboard, PinkCollins! :) Wherabouts in the uk are you based?

South Wales (Cardiff) at present.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moon (Post 1100549)
Hi! I'm 23 too, but an FM fan too!! My fav album from the Rumours lineup is Mirage. I'm a Lindsey fan but Stevie is a great singer and a very talented musician, I love her music!!
Welcome!
Mark.

Mirage is strangely my least favourite

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1100578)
Are you also a fan of Pink and a fan of Dark Shadows? Welcome!!!

Welcome. So young with such great taste in music. Glad to have you!

Nope not at all. If that was because of my username - it's actually a favourite Cocktail of mine.

Thanks for all the welcomes!

TotallyTusked 08-18-2013 08:05 PM

thanks for the welcome guys, again, glad to be here! :D

Stormwind 08-19-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TotallyTusked (Post 1100617)
thanks for the welcome guys, again, glad to be here! :D

Wow, I thought to be one of the youngest here, anyway welcome.

Desiree 08-19-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormwind (Post 1100654)
Wow, I thought to be one of the youngest here, anyway welcome.

I just love the age range among FM fans! Of course, my children and their friends started listening to FM while in utero, my son at two years old did the best imitation of LB's NTF ever and spot on! Learned it watching the Mirage concert video! They are now 25, he is a musician, btw...and 28 and we all go to shows together, always have! You young ones probably were infused like mine, lol! Can't wait to hear your take on things! :)

Macfanforever 08-19-2013 09:16 PM

I have to say welcome to the Ledge everybody .Its nice to see all of you younger FM fans are enjoying the band like I did when I was a teen back in the 1970's.

My nephew is 25 and loves classic rock music including Stevie/Lindsey and FM and he can't stand the current music.

moon 08-20-2013 03:58 AM

Hi, TotallyTusked, and welcome, aussie!! :blob2:

vivfox 08-20-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfanforever (Post 1100672)
My nephew is 25 and loves classic rock music including Stevie/Lindsey and FM and he can't stand the current music.

I'm 51 and the late teens/twenty somethings crowd is so impressed that I love the music they listen to. There are a zillion great songs that are new and I think you are doing a dis service to yourself if you ignore music just because it was released in the 21st century. Personally I would be bored ****less having to listen to the same music all my life.

Dex 08-20-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1100703)
I'm 51 and the late teens/twenty somethings crowd is so impressed that I love the music they listen to. There are a zillion great songs that are new and I think you are doing a dis service to yourself if you ignore music just because it was released in the 21st century. Personally I would be bored ****less having to listen to the same music all my life.

Nailed it, Viv. I'll never begrudge anyone the right to like what they like. But it seems absurd to just write off an entire era of music. Especially in an era where Stevie and Lindsey's influence on the general music scene has arguably never been higher, and you don't even need to get out of your pyjamas to discover tons of great new music.

Nothing against your nephew, MFF, I just think he's really missing out and that's sad.

I must say though, there is a certain age range that seems to be the most impressionable music-wise. I'm 26 now, but my taste in music seems more or less defined by my musical discoveries when I was 18-23 or so. I'm not consciously shutting new stuff out, but I've noticed I'm not searching for new music or exploring new genres with anything near the fervency I had a few years ago. I miss my new-music-enthusiasm sometimes, but when I talk to others about it, this seems pretty normal.

Macfanforever 08-20-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1100703)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dex (Post 1100714)
Nailed it, Viv. I'll never begrudge anyone the right to like what they like. But it seems absurd to just write off an entire era of music. Especially in an era where Stevie and Lindsey's influence on the general music scene has arguably never been higher, and you don't even need to get out of your pyjamas to discover tons of great new music.

Nothing against your nephew, MFF, I just think he's really missing out and that's sad.

I must say though, there is a certain age range that seems to be the most impressionable music-wise. I'm 26 now, but my taste in music seems more or less defined by my musical discoveries when I was 18-23 or so. I'm not consciously shutting new stuff out, but I've noticed I'm not searching for new music or exploring new genres with anything near the fervency I had a few years ago. I miss my new-music-enthusiasm sometimes, but when I talk to others about it, this seems pretty normal.

Hahaha.I understand what you two mean.

It probably sounds like I shut off all of the new artists and music.I'm not condemning it altogether.

They are some good new artists and new tunes out there but the new stuff dont do justice to my liking probably because of the lyrics and auto-tune they use today.

I just cant get into it like I used to.

KarmaContestant 08-20-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

I love old music. I love new music. People who say 'music isn't good anymore' are just stuck in the past, living in nostalgia. And it varies. I've heard music isn't good anymore, since 1968, since 1972, since 1977, since 1987, since 1991 - it's all baloney to me. Music is still good. Great, in fact.

I'll be 40 in....a little while, and just today I was aksed if I still listen to the same bands I listened to in my teens and early 20's. I was delighted to say 'Nope' (except for FM and Stevie). Most of my favorites now are bands or singers I've discovered within the past 7-10 years. It's great - there's so much out there! You just have to work to find it, and be willing to *listen*. People don't like to listen anymore; they're too busy checking Facebook updates, living in our ADHD society.

On another forum, someone posted their own Top 100 Albums of all time, and another poster said something like...

Quote:

I see there's nothing on your list after 1991. If I had to listen to that list of albums for the rest of my life, I'd kill myself.

:laugh: And I feel the same way.

However, I do feel I should say that it's *harder* to find great music nowadays. Radio plays a list of 15-25 songs on repeat, and DJs have no say in their playlists. There are very few record stores. There aren't record clubs anymore (BMG, RCoA, Columbia House). There are tens of thousands of albums released every year just in the United States (about 75,000 on an average year), and most people will only know about .0133% of them - or about 10. How can you buy or hear or love music you don't even know exists?

It's a shame, really.

KarmaContestant 08-20-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfanforever (Post 1100730)
They are some good new artists and new tunes out there but the new stuff dont do justice to my liking probably because of the lyrics and auto-tune they use today.

It's usually only used for people who can't sing or have issues with key and melody. Like....Katy Perry. :nod: I really doubt anyone like Ray LaMontagne, or Neko Case or even Adele would use autotune. They can actually sing!

Macfanforever 08-20-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaContestant (Post 1100733)
It's usually only used for people who can't sing or have issues with key and melody. Like....Katy Perry. :nod: I really doubt anyone like Ray LaMontagne, or Neko Case or even Adele would use autotune. They can actually sing!

Yes I understand.

Macfanforever 08-20-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaContestant (Post 1100731)
I love old music. I love new music. People who say 'music isn't good anymore' are just stuck in the past, living in nostalgia. And it varies. I've heard music isn't good anymore, since 1968, since 1972, since 1977, since 1987, since 1991 - it's all baloney to me. Music is still good. Great, in fact.

I'll be 40 in....a little while, and just today I was aksed if I still listen to the same bands I listened to in my teens and early 20's. I was delighted to say 'Nope' (except for FM and Stevie). Most of my favorites now are bands or singers I've discovered within the past 7-10 years. It's great - there's so much out there! You just have to work to find it, and be willing to *listen*. People don't like to listen anymore; they're too busy checking Facebook updates, living in our ADHD society.

On another forum, someone posted their own Top 100 Albums of all time, and another poster said something like...

:laugh: And I feel the same way.

However, I do feel I should say that it's *harder* to find great music nowadays. Radio plays a list of 15-25 songs on repeat, and DJs have no say in their playlists. There are very few record stores. There aren't record clubs anymore (BMG, RCoA, Columbia House). There are tens of thousands of albums released every year just in the United States (about 75,000 on an average year), and most people will only know about .0133% of them - or about 10. How can you buy or hear or love music you don't even know exists?

It's a shame, really.

I agree about radio .It does not matter what format the music is.They play the same handful of tunes over and over again.They dont let more of the new artists have a chance to get their tunes played .its the same for the well seasoned artists too.

I put the blame on corporate radio on this problem.They bought most of the ma-pa stations out.I like tuning in college stations because they play anything.

It probably was me that made the list and commented about anything after 1991 was not in the faves list.LOL...

I actually like some 1990's music.

I happen to enjoy some of those 12 inch singles I've been getting from my friend down the street.

Yes I was shocked that my nephew liked the old stuff over the new stuff which he is 25.

His older brother and younger sister likes the current tunes which they are two years in age apart.

vivfox 08-20-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

I must say though, there is a certain age range that seems to be the most impressionable music-wise. I'm 26 now, but my taste in music seems more or less defined by my musical discoveries when I was 18-23 or so. I'm not consciously shutting new stuff out, but I've noticed I'm not searching for new music or exploring new genres with anything near the fervency I had a few years ago.

Some day when you are as old as Skip(MFF) and I are now, there will be a really old man(me) listening and liking the music of the modern day and you might just be an old crumudgeon hating what you hear. Hopefully that won't be the case. I'm fond of Skip the person but not fond of Skip the music critic.

Macfanforever 08-21-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1100759)
Some day when you are as old as Skip(MFF) and I are now, there will be a really old man(me) listening and liking the music of the modern day and you might just be an old crumudgeon hating what you hear. Hopefully that won't be the case. I'm fond of Skip the person but not fond of Skip the music critic.

Hahahahahaha.LOL Sorry Viv. A music critic.I should put a application for a music reviewer job with the Rollingstone mag.LOL I probably get fired in a week because of their sales will drop with all of my negative reviews. Plus my crappy English writing too.

I know I'm in a rut and one of those persons that dont like changes and living in a time machine with the buttons for the current life are broken and cant get out of the past.

That like at the supermarket last night .I buy the same ole food every week like vanilla fudge ice cream every week .I got to try another favor.

I know I got to get a life.

KarmaContestant 08-21-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1100759)
Some day when you are as old as Skip(MFF) and I are now, there will be a really old man(me) listening and liking the music of the modern day

My father-in-law, in his 60's, has an iPod and loves P!nk, Fun, Macklemore and Maroon 5. :laugh: He's always got the latest hits.

Desiree 08-21-2013 05:07 PM

I'm 56 and I listen to almost everything musically speaking, always have, always will. Music is the background of my life!

applebucked 08-27-2013 12:32 PM

Hey, my name is Sam. Been lurking here for a while, but just made my first post. This seems like a great place to be. :wavey:
Fave member of the Mac? *points to icon*

Desiree 08-27-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applebucked (Post 1101217)
Hey, my name is Sam. Been lurking here for a while, but just made my first post. This seems like a great place to be. :wavey:

Hey Sam! Welcome! I sure like it here!:D

vivfox 08-27-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applebucked (Post 1101217)

Welcome!!! You'll always have to travel to see this band because they've never played the Philippines.

applebucked 08-27-2013 08:31 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1101256)
Welcome!!! You'll always have to travel to see this band because they've never played the Philippines.

I KNOW. Not even during their peak. :( The nearest tour stops are in Australia, but I have no money to spare.

Desiree 08-29-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applebucked (Post 1101264)
I KNOW. Not even during their peak. :( The nearest tour stops are in Australia, but I have no money to spare.

FM has always been an expensive proposition! Number 1. Tickets. 2. Travel to get there. 3. Merchandise. Gotta love them, and I do!:blob1:

Dex 08-31-2013 08:02 AM

Australia is a long way to go from the Philippines (or anywhere else, for that matter). Especially for a single concert. "Expensive" is an understatement, Desiree. But perhaps in the future the timing of things will line up right and you may be able to see them, applebucked. :) I never have. I'd love to, but I'm more than happy with the studio recordings and live footage that are more accessible to me.

Welcome!

applebucked 09-01-2013 01:47 PM

That would be a far-fetched scenario and I don't know if I'll spend my money on a FM concert since my favorite member is basically retired and footage of the current tour don't do much for me (maybe if Chris somehow rejoins full time, which I doubt). :laugh: But I'm happy with all the bootlegs I've accumulated.

staceface 10-24-2013 08:16 AM

Hello everyone! My name is Anastasia, but everyone calls me Stacy!

louielouie2000 10-26-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staceface (Post 1108305)
Hello everyone! My name is Anastasia, but everyone calls me Stacy!

Welcome to the Ledge. :thumbsup: