The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Last Word Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59583)

dougl 06-23-2022 12:16 PM

Last Word Christine McVie

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-word-1367214/

BigAl84 06-23-2022 12:29 PM

Who the heck writes these questions, what is this an annual performance review? What are your goals for the next couple of years? She's almost 80. Mitigating back pain and trying to enjoy the rest of her days. That's the goal.

It's interesting to hear her take on all of the fighting. Makes one wonder just how overblown a lot of it had become over the years. How much of it was exaggerated in the minds of Stevie and Lindsey?

David 06-23-2022 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1275480)
Who the heck writes these questions, what is this an annual performance review? What are your goals for the next couple of years? She's almost 80. Mitigating back pain and trying to enjoy the rest of her days. That's the goal.

I love the brevity and matter-of-factness of her responses. While the rest of Fleetwood Mac is continually embroiled in regrets and recriminations, Chris is the Anti-Drama.

Quote:

What are your goals over the next few years?
Stay alive, hopefully. Well, I’ll be 80 next year. So, I’m just hoping for a few more years, and we’ll see what happens.
Quote:

It's interesting to hear her take on all of the fighting. Makes one wonder just how overblown a lot of it had become over the years. How much of it was exaggerated in the minds of Stevie and Lindsey?
I think she’s deliberately playing the positive ion to all the negative ions. Probably more than anyone else, she wants Mac’s legacy to be musical, not sociological. She downplays the melodrama, while the others (and the press) emphasize it. But the truth sits between.

Sounds, too, as if she’s back in London permanently. I hope she plans to see Lindsey play somewhere next fall. They ought to both start demoing again for a follow-up to the June 2017 album.

sleepless child 06-23-2022 01:20 PM

Stevie and Lindsey are all about drama. Especially Stevie. Mainly Stevie. It's interesting she says that they are no longer enemies. But they aren't talking to each other. I'm not sure what that is about. Stevie seemed pretty pissed when she told RS she would never be in the same room with him again.

I love Christine. She is so genuine. She obviously has looked on the bright side of life instead of the dark like someone else we know. I wish her the best with her Scoliosis.

Macfan4life 06-23-2022 02:42 PM

I loved this. Thank you for sharing and posting. I love that she mentioned Bob Welch and was happy in that era. I would love to ask her questions about it. The Stevie/Lindsey era has been asked to death. I want to dig into her relationship with Bob and her songs in that era. I still love it when Bob said Chris would give him side eye and hate his talking mid song like on the Bermuda Triangle.
I am just happy she said those 2 words even in passing...….. BOB WELCH

bwboy 06-23-2022 03:31 PM

Wow, I really enjoyed that interview. Christine mentioned so many folks, but nothing about Billy and Rick, which surprised me. I wonder if she was disappointed by the lackluster response to Behind the Mask and Time, and therefore doesn’t care to talk about that era much? She should know that just because BTM didn’t match Tango sales, a lot of fans did enjoy that album. Her positive remarks about Bob Welch were a surprise to me, considering she wanted him excluded from the RRHOF.

Great interview!

Macfan4life 06-23-2022 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1275492)
Wow, I really enjoyed that interview. Christine mentioned so many folks, but nothing about Billy and Rick, which surprised me. I wonder if she was disappointed by the lackluster response to Behind the Mask and Time, and therefore doesn’t care to talk about that era much? She should know that just because BTM didn’t match Tango sales, a lot of fans did enjoy that album. Her positive remarks about Bob Welch were a surprise to me, considering she wanted him excluded from the RRHOF.

Great interview!

I dont think that was anything personal. She has known Billy for years before Fleetwood Mac and I am sure they still keep in touch. If she purposely avoided them its probably because of how Rick and Billy got screwed over. Stevie was already bringing Mike Campbell so it was probably complicated to only ask one and not the other.
I am sure Christine is fond of Rick and Billy and especially Billy. Chris and Billy's voice went really good together.

HomerMcvie 06-23-2022 05:25 PM

Chris and Billy's harmonies were probably better than hers and Lindsey's.

I LOVE Lindsey, but Billy is a better singer. Billy's voice doesn't get enough love on here. It's comforting, like Christine's.

jbrownsjr 06-24-2022 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1275499)

I LOVE Lindsey, but Billy is a better singer. Billy's voice doesn't get enough love on here. It's comforting, like Christine's.

Christine can harmonize with anyone so well. She really. has some magic.

bwboy 06-24-2022 06:58 PM

Quote:

Very well said, especially the part about Billy’s voice being comforting. That’s exactly the word I use when I think of his voice, so hearing you felt the same way was cool.

aleuzzi 06-24-2022 09:13 PM

Quote:

Well, Billy has great talent and knows how to use it. But I’m just not all that turned on by his voice. The only times I dug hearing him sing were when he was duetting and harmonizing with Bekka. Those two had magic.

aleuzzi 06-24-2022 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1275545)
Christine can harmonize with anyone so well. She really. has some magic.

True! I mean, Bob Welch and Lindsey’s voices couldn’t have been more different but she sounded great with both of them. I think of her harmonies on Emerald Eyes and Hypnotized are haunting. But then her harmonies on The Chain, Rhiannon, and World Turning are equally haunting in a different way.

HomerMcvie 06-25-2022 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1275546)
Very well said, especially the part about Billy’s voice being comforting. That’s exactly the word I use when I think of his voice, so hearing you felt the same way was cool.

I'm often surprised that so many here don't seem to like Billy. I mean, Lindsey is the real talent, but Billy is a good songwriter, with a really nice voice.

He had every reason to be pissed when they didn't ask him back into the band.

vivfox 06-25-2022 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1275554)
I'm often surprised that so many here don't seem to like Billy. I mean, Lindsey is the real talent, but Billy is a good songwriter, with a really nice voice.

He had every reason to be pissed when they didn't ask him back into the band.

I was never satisfied with Billy as a replacement for Lindsey. He can sing but the only good song he contributed to FM was ITBOMM, IMO. He's not at all exciting to watch onstage. Why would they want him back in the band when his being there the first time didn't do a damn thing to benefit or take FM to another level? The Behind the Mask and Time versions of FM were their lowest points.

HomerMcvie 06-25-2022 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1275555)
I was never satisfied with Billy as a replacement for Lindsey. He can sing but the only good song he contributed to FM was ITBOMM, IMO. He's not at all exciting to watch onstage. Why would they want him back in the band when his being there the first time didn't do a damn thing to benefit or take FM to another level? The Behind the Mask and Time versions of FM were their lowest points.

So you're saying Neil and Mike brought some magic to the band that Rick and Billy didn't? :lol: