The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   MOVIES you watched this week? (DVD) (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39417)

iamnotafraid 03-09-2010 04:31 AM

The Stepfather
Boring. Did I say boring?

baboles 03-09-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 875954)
The Stepfather
Boring. Did I say boring?

The remake? Or the original?

The original is freakin' amazing!!!

Wildheart82 03-09-2010 04:41 PM

The Box
 
I wanted to see this when it first came out, but I had read bad reviews, so decided to wait until it came out on video. So, we rented it last weekend and really enjoyed it. It was like an episode of Twilight Zone - feature length.

seekerj 03-09-2010 05:40 PM

Snatch.

Of course, I had to rewind every thirty seconds in order to finally understand what Brad Pitt and everyone else was saying!

gretchen 03-09-2010 05:58 PM

King of California
I loved this movie. What a little gem!

chelluversu 03-09-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekerj (Post 876055)
Snatch.

Of course, I had to rewind every thirty seconds in order to finally understand what Brad Pitt and everyone else was saying!

haha! you too?? i only understood parts including the one where his mother is killed

iamnotafraid 03-10-2010 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baboles (Post 876043)
The remake? Or the original?

The original is freakin' amazing!!!

Must have been the remake. It was just released on DVD.

Hachi: A Dog's Tale
They actually make rated "G" movies!
It was okay. If you like dogs you'll probably
like it more than I did.

GODDESS6 03-10-2010 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 876171)
Must have been the remake. It was just released on DVD.

Hachi: A Dog's Tale
They actually make rated "G" movies!
It was okay. If you like dogs you'll probably
like it more than I did.

what a wonderful story~ loved the movie~

we watched:
district 9
law-abiding citizen
zombieland~

seekerj 03-10-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelluversu (Post 876059)
haha! you too?? i only understood parts including the one where his mother is killed

Yeah!

I think it took me about 3 hours to watch the movie, with all the rewinding!

I liked the ending, though, so it was worth it.

CreepingDeath 03-10-2010 07:31 PM

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof -I never get tired of this movie. Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor were sinfully hot.

How to Marry a Millionaire

What's Eating Gilbert Grape

iamnotafraid 03-14-2010 06:13 PM

ELVIS
Starring Kurt Russell in the title role. This 1979 movie about
Mr. Presley is the best of all that have been made about him.
There's a few timeline mistakes here and there, but overall a
very good film.

When it premiered in '79 on ABC TV, it went up against the
classics "Gone With The Wind" and "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's
Nest", and it trounced them in the TV ratings.

If you like Elvis, or just enjoy music history watch this film.
It's just been released on DVD for the first time.

iamnotafraid 03-17-2010 06:34 PM

The White Stripes: Under Great White Northern Lights
I thought it was awesome. I love these type of documentaries.
It was fun to watch, and there's not many movies like that.

Would you liked to have been there for the "one note" show?

What about the dude in the bed?

crazy, crazy, crazy

GODDESS6 03-18-2010 06:39 AM

law abiding citizen...hated it
zombieland
boy interrupted...heartbreaking yet very good
the adventures of ford fairlane
license to drive
the lost boys
coraline

iamnotafraid 03-21-2010 10:08 PM

The Princess And The Frog
Kind of cool to see "real" animation.
It did look and sound great. Thought
the movie itself might be better. I had
no idea that stars were fireflies?!!

daniellaaarisen 03-21-2010 10:54 PM

I saw The Ghost Writer tonight. Interesting movie.

mylittledemon 03-22-2010 09:55 PM

The Goonies. On the big screen. Yes, the big screen! ;)

louielouie2000 03-22-2010 10:34 PM

Angels & Demons: What an awful, gory, violent turd trying to masquerade itself as an intellectual thriller.

Onegin: Beautiful cinematography... rare to see a period piece set in Russia that has NOTHING to do with the revolution or communism.

The Remains Of The Day: I love my period movies. This one was especially subtle... you have to appreciate that sort of film to like this one. It's about a British butler who works for a Nazi sympathizer in the '30s and '40s.

louielouie2000 03-22-2010 10:54 PM

Autobiography Of Miss Jane Pittman: Neat little movie chronicling the life of a former slave who lived long enough to see the beginnings of the Civil Rights movement.

Prince Of Tides: I don't care what anybody says... I really liked this one, and especially enjoyed Streisand... and I don't even like her!

Pan's Labyrinth: I was kinda disappointed by this one... I guess it was hyped too much. And it was very violent too... I'm not a big fan of violence. I watch movies and listen to music to escape the ugliness of the world... not relive it.

The Wishing Tree: I was immediately turned off by this one because it was set in the Carolina Lowcountry and filmed in freaking CANADA! :rolleyes: Decent enough little story, tho.

CreepingDeath 03-22-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 878781)

The Remains Of The Day: I love my period movies. This one was especially subtle... you have to appreciate that sort of film to like this one. It's about a British butler who works for a Nazi sympathizer in the '30s and '40s.

The Remains of the Day is one of my all-time favorite movies. Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson were so good.

I'm still pissed Hopkins lost the Oscar to that awful Tom Hanks. :mad:

louielouie2000 03-23-2010 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreepingDeath (Post 878794)
The Remains of the Day is one of my all-time favorite movies. Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson were so good.

I'm still pissed Hopkins lost the Oscar to that awful Tom Hanks. :mad:

It really was a wonderful movie. Anthony Hopkins character reminds me so much of one of my best friends... just shuffling through the motions of life, doing what is expected of him and more, never stopping to realize his own life is passing him by at lightning speed. That his allegiances are completely misplaced. That he has no true opinions of his own. Doesn't know true love. I fear my friend won't even realize it before his time is gone, though... unlike Hopkins character in the movie.

mylittledemon 03-23-2010 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 878784)
Pan's Labyrinth: I was kinda disappointed by this one... I guess it was hyped too much. And it was very violent too... I'm not a big fan of violence. I watch movies and listen to music to escape the ugliness of the world... not relive it.

Ooo... I'm shocked! I loved this movie. Beautiful, even amidst the violence and death.

GODDESS6 03-23-2010 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 878770)
The Goonies. On the big screen. Yes, the big screen! ;)

i adore 'the goonies'~

we watched 'new moon'...loved it!!!~

seekerj 03-23-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 878784)
Autobiography Of Miss Jane Pittman: Neat little movie chronicling the life of a former slave who lived long enough to see the beginnings of the Civil Rights movement.

Prince Of Tides: I don't care what anybody says... I really liked this one, and especially enjoyed Streisand... and I don't even like her!

Pan's Labyrinth: I was kinda disappointed by this one... I guess it was hyped too much. And it was very violent too... I'm not a big fan of violence. I watch movies and listen to music to escape the ugliness of the world... not relive it.

The Wishing Tree: I was immediately turned off by this one because it was set in the Carolina Lowcountry and filmed in freaking CANADA! :rolleyes: Decent enough little story, tho.

LOL... The Prince Of Tides.... about twenty minutes into it, I took my girlfriend's pocketbook and threatened to throw it out the window if she didn't get that dvd out of my dvd player RIGHT NOW!!!! LOL

iamnotafraid 03-23-2010 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 878784)
Pan's Labyrinth[/I]: I was kinda disappointed by this one... I guess it was hyped too much. And it was very violent too.

I liked Pan's Labyrinth. There was so much to look at, that I wish it would have
been overdubbed in English. It would have been a little easier to watch that way.

Bright Star
John Keats and Fanny Brawne. I'm going to pretend
that I knew this movie was somewhat based on those
characters, and I'll even act like I'm very familiar with
John Keats works. The movie was slow paced as you
might expect. But I thought it was worth watching.
When Miss Brawne cries, you'll cry too.

mylittledemon 03-23-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 879005)
I liked Pan's Labyrinth. There was so much to look at, that I wish it would have
been overdubbed in English. It would have been a little easier to watch that way.

That's the magic of it... you can watch it again ;)

louielouie2000 03-23-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 879005)
I liked Pan's Labyrinth. There was so much to look at, that I wish it would have
been overdubbed in English. It would have been a little easier to watch that way.

I agree with all of that. I'm not saying I disliked the movie at all... I was just a little disheartened by how graphic it was. It truly was beautiful tho... I'll have to give it another go sometime. Because it's the very definition of a "Louie movie" (sans the violence, of course).

iamnotafraid 03-23-2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 879007)
I'm not saying I disliked the movie at all... I was just a little disheartened by how graphic it was.

I agree it was very violent, much more than I thought it would be.

^^ And LittleD, I did rewatch it........many times. Cool beans.

mylittledemon 03-24-2010 12:11 AM

Pan's Labyrinth was a lot closer to the way I would've expected Tim Burton's Alice to have been.

Richard B 03-24-2010 12:38 AM

Pan's Labyrinth is epic. What a spectacular film. I love the blend of historical fact and fantasy. Yes, it was violent, but nothing out of the ordinary considering the history of the time in Spain. Absolutely remarkable film.

Recently viewed:

2012 - pure trash. but hey, it gave me some good laughs. 1 star.
Precious - hmmm...3 stars. it was OK, completely overrated. i've seen a lot of films with a similar theme.
Paranormal Activity - 1 star. garbage and not the least bit scary.
The Hangover - This was kinda funny. I thought it would be lame, but whatever. I laughed.
Bonjour Monsieur Shlomi - 4 stars. Sweet Hebrew film, with a compelling lead actor.
Sorority Row - garbage, 1 star. nice T&A though.

iamnotafraid 03-24-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard B (Post 879017)
Recently viewed:

2012 - pure trash.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Twighlight - New Moon
This has to be the best vampire movie......oops,
I mean't the lamest vampire movie..............ah,
nevermind, I'm too old I guess.

mylittledemon 03-24-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 879194)
Couldn't agree with you more.

Twighlight - New Moon
This has to be the best vampire movie......oops,
I mean't the lamest vampire movie..............ah,
nevermind, I'm too old I guess.

No, you're right. It's total rubbish.

daniellaaarisen 03-24-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreepingDeath (Post 878794)
The Remains of the Day is one of my all-time favorite movies. Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson were so good.

I'm still pissed Hopkins lost the Oscar to that awful Tom Hanks. :mad:

Never seen the movie but the novel (by Kazuo Ishiguro) is awesome. I've read three of his (Artist of a Floating World and Never Let Me Go, as well) and he's definitely interesting.... not quite obsessed enough with the endless capabilities of language for me to really dig him, though.

So I mentioned The Ghost Writer (which was awesome, go see it)... but the night before that, I watched an Israeli film called For My Father. It's a really provacative film that takes an interesting stance on Palestinian/Jewish relations. I'm really passionate about the conflict (as in don't get me started.... I kinda hate Israel) but this movie is fantastic for anyone, with any level of knowledge or interest in their relations.

iamnotafraid 03-24-2010 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen (Post 879218)
(as in don't get me started.... I kinda hate Israel)

Dani, Dani, Dani......be careful.

daniellaaarisen 03-25-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 879230)
Dani, Dani, Dani......be careful.

Well, I kinda hate Israel's policies.

:)

Richard B 03-25-2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen (Post 879261)
Well, I kinda hate Israel's policies.

:)

You're certainly entitled to that. In all fairness, I kinda hate America's policies.

daniellaaarisen 03-25-2010 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard B (Post 879264)
You're certainly entitled to that. In all fairness, I kinda hate America's policies.

That makes two of us :)

GODDESS6 03-25-2010 05:00 AM

not a movie, but just started watching season I of 'love american style"...anyone remember this show in the late 60's early 70's?~

ILoveFM 03-25-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 879230)
Dani, Dani, Dani......be careful.

Haha I was also just about to give you the same warning. You really don't wanna have a discussion about this.

As for movies, I watched Working Girl and Fatal Attraction. Both were fantastic, of course.

ButterCookie 03-25-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 879194)
Twighlight - New Moon
This has to be the best vampire movie......oops,
I mean't the lamest vampire movie..............ah,
nevermind, I'm too old I guess.

Hmpf. My sister bought it the other night. It's two hours of my life I'll never get back.

Trash in a DVD case.

FMlex 03-25-2010 03:00 PM

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Hmmm.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved