The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Christine Singing Other People’s Songs (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59480)

aleuzzi 02-22-2022 01:00 AM

Christine Singing Other People’s Songs

We generally regard Christine as a songwriter who sings her own material. That’s certainly what she’s best known for. But the YMLF cover thread that popped up today got me thinking about the songs she has covered.

For the most part, she’s a pretty persuasive interpreter of songs written by others. Her readings of Dan Perfect’s “Northern Star” and “Calumny” are outstanding. But has she ever improved on better-known versions of songs? Her “I’d Rather Go Blind” and “Crazy Bout You Baby”—are these better than the respective Etta James and Ike-Tina Turner interpretations?

On the other hand, I think her version of Tony Joe White’s “I Want You” is superior to his. And her performance of Bobby Bland’s “I’m On My Way”
is, to my ears, pretty much equal.

On her 1984 album, I think the weakest songs are the covers…

Thoughts about Christine covers?

Macfan4life 02-22-2022 08:06 AM

Interesting thread. When I heard Chris was covering Elvis's Cant Help Falling In Love, I got really excited. However while its fairly good, I thought she would have done a better job. For some reason, I want to like the song better. I can't put my finger on why either.

I thought she did a good job on Keeping Secrets and I'm The One. However, you can sense they were not written by her. I dont ever see her telling some guy "I'm not your psychiatrist" She never tells guy's off in her songs (for the most part).

aleuzzi 02-22-2022 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1272963)
Interesting thread. When I heard Chris was covering Elvis's Cant Help Falling In Love, I got really excited. However while its fairly good, I thought she would have done a better job. For some reason, I want to like the song better. I can't put my finger on why either.

I thought she did a good job on Keeping Secrets and I'm The One. However, you can sense they were not written by her. I dont ever see her telling some guy "I'm not your psychiatrist" She never tells guy's off in her songs (for the most part).

Yeah, the phrasing on I’m the One doesn’t sound natural to her. Her lyrics tend to be concise and allow her space to draw out syllables. I’m the one and Keeping Secrets have more words than is usual for her.

I also agree on the Elvis cover. It’s not bad—it’s just not great. Very pleasant and forgettable.

David 02-22-2022 01:48 PM

She used to be good at covering blues. Remember “Jumping at Shadows” by Duster Bennett? She sang that live just a year before he died, and she slipped into that tune very naturally. She should have put it on one of her solo albums.

Phoenixgypsy 02-22-2022 02:33 PM

I might be in the minority, but I love her version of "I Can't Help Falling in Love" - I wish they would remaster that track and put it on CD or a streaming service.

FuzzyPlum 02-22-2022 02:47 PM

well, her version of the dreadful When You Say is actually palatable!!!

jbrownsjr 02-22-2022 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1272970)
She used to be good at covering blues. Remember “Jumping at Shadows” by Duster Bennett? She sang that live just a year before he died, and she slipped into that tune very naturally. She should have put it on one of her solo albums.

There's a low quality bootleg of "jumping" and her vocals and keys are absolutely fantastic. Good one.

aleuzzi 02-22-2022 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1272974)
There's a low quality bootleg of "jumping" and her vocals and keys are absolutely fantastic. Good one.

Yeah—I love that version. Have it on my iTunes.

jbrownsjr 02-22-2022 04:54 PM

I love her version of I'd Rather Go Blind. I have a friend that loved it more than the Etta James version. I don't know that I'd personally go that far. But, I heard Christine's version first, and I do think it's sang with a unique and personal point of view.

And who doesn't love: "2AM and it's you on the telephone, cryin' in your sleep...."?

Macfan4life 02-22-2022 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1272976)
I love her version of I'd Rather Go Blind. I have a friend that loved it more than the Etta James version. I don't know that I'd personally go that far. But, I heard Christine's version first, and I do think it's sang with a unique and personal point of view.

And who doesn't love: "2AM and it's you on the telephone, cryin' in your sleep...."?

You figure since I have a shoulder and live alone, you can come to me?

jbrownsjr 02-22-2022 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1272977)
You figure since I have a shoulder and live alone, you can come to me?

I mean, who can sing that with a straight face!! hehe

aleuzzi 02-22-2022 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1272978)

I mean, the shoulder is an essential body part.

HomerMcvie 02-23-2022 02:18 AM

Quote:

At least the lyric wasn't in me, or on me.

Cuz that would be some slip your hand inside my glove sh*t.

Macfan4life 02-23-2022 03:34 AM

Quote:

I don't like playing detective still I keep finding clues
We've got to stop this pretending and pay the dues

Chris's 1984 album had such country vibes. I think that was because of Sharpe. Both him and Burnette have a country vibe to them. It was odd when I got this vibe that a English blues player would sound country. Songs like So Excited, Love Will Show Us How, I'm the One, and Keeping Secrets have a tang of country sound and the lyrics could be full blown country. So Excited was co-written by Sharpe, Burnette, and McVie and could have easily wound up on the country charts. She also could have performed it on Hee Haw. That was a mainstay on TV in Homer's area in the mid 80s.

jbrownsjr 02-23-2022 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1272983)
At least the lyric wasn't in me, or on me.

Cuz that would be some slip your hand inside my glove sh*t.

Homer, why is it that every time you find romantic infidelity,
you make a point to let me know? ?????