The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Post-Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Heart of Stone (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59266)

Murrow 05-29-2021 07:25 PM

Heart of Stone

One of my friends on the Facebook groups swears he can hear Stevie and Rick on Heart of Stone. I argue they can't be as they'd officially left by then and as with Love Shines only Chris, Billy and the rhythm section can be heard.

The fact that I can't check on the discographies here anymore with their plethora of detail doesn't help. Is this because the website needs contributions from us?

bwboy 05-29-2021 08:10 PM

I don’t know for sure, but I presume neither Rick or Stevie are on the song. I don’t hear them, anyway.

The timeline for Paper Doll, Heart of Stone, No Questions Asked, and Love Shines is always confusing for me. I believe Paper Doll and As Long As You Follow were recorded for their Greatest Hits, but then they recorded No Questions Asked and used it instead of Paper Doll. Then they recorded songs for Behind the Mask, after which Rick and Stevie left the band. Then Billy, Christine, John, and Mick recorded Love Shines and Heart of Stone, both produced by Patrick Leonard, and put those songs on the Chain box set; Paper Doll was given to Lindsey to tweak, and then he returned it to them, along with his solo song Make Me a Mask, also for the boxset. Then the Rumours 5 reunited for the presidential inauguration, followed within a week or two by Christine, John, Mick, Billy, and Rick performing at the Super Bowl pre-game.

It is confusing.

The Chain 05-30-2021 08:47 AM

I totally hear Stevie. Her harmony is very recognizable in the chorus, just listen for her on the last sung "stone", kind of lingers a millisecond longer than everyone else.

aleuzzi 05-30-2021 08:59 AM

Stevie is definitely on “Heart of Stone.” Not sure if Rick is. But neither Stevie or Rick appear to be on “Love Shines”—yet I believe the songs share the same producer (Patrick Leonard).

FuzzyPlum 05-30-2021 05:21 PM

I certainly hear Stevie on Heart of Stone. However, I don't know whether this could just be studio trickery. I swear I hear on Buckingham McVie too bur she obviously isn't. There's commercial reasons for making it sound like she is....so maybe that's the same as HOS.

BLY 05-30-2021 07:32 PM

Stevie is definitely singing on Heart of Stone.

bombaysaffires 05-31-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chain (Post 1267340)
I totally hear Stevie. Her harmony is very recognizable in the chorus, just listen for her on the last sung "stone", kind of lingers a millisecond longer than everyone else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1267341)
Stevie is definitely on “Heart of Stone.” Not sure if Rick is. But neither Stevie or Rick appear to be on “Love Shines”—yet I believe the songs share the same producer (Patrick Leonard).

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1267349)
I certainly hear Stevie on Heart of Stone. However, I don't know whether this could just be studio trickery. I swear I hear on Buckingham McVie too bur she obviously isn't. There's commercial reasons for making it sound like she is....so maybe that's the same as HOS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1267350)
Stevie is definitely singing on Heart of Stone.

she's totally on the chorus, doing a low harmony. She's not on the bridge. But is absolutely audible on the chorus.

jbrownsjr 06-01-2021 11:17 AM

I'm with everyone else. I can hear her. Stevie is on Heart of Stone.

bwboy 06-01-2021 08:15 PM

From Billy Burnette’s autobiography Crazy Like Me:

“Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine and I recorded two new songs, “Love Shines” and “Heart of Stone,” for the FM box set. Patrick Leonard, who produced Madonna at the time, produced them. They were a couple of my favorites that we did while I was with the band.”

Nothing conclusive, but it’s very telling to me that he doesn’t mention Stevie. He confirms the two songs were recorded at the same time, so it makes no sense that Stevie would have sang on one and not the other.

Villavic 06-01-2021 08:42 PM

I read this thread in my laptop and immediately looked for and played in youtube. My laptop sound has no great sound, but I would say I did hear Stevie.

Then I looked for info, there is not much. Fandom mention this, but I undestand it's a colaborative page:
Heart of Stone is a song written by Christine McVie and Eddy Quintela and recorded by McVie with Fleetwood Mac as one of four original tracks on their 1992 compilation 25 Years: The Chain. It has never been released anywhere else and is currently not available for download.

Personnel
Christine McVie - vocals, keyboards
Billy Burnette - guitar, backing vocals
John McVie - bass
Mick Fleetwood - drums

bwboy 06-01-2021 08:57 PM

To piggyback off what Villavic said, here’s another quote from Billy Burnette’s autobiography:

“There were three different incarnations of FM while I was with them. The first was Stevie, Christine, John, Rick, Mick, and me. After the Behind the Mask tour, we did some tracks for The Chain. That lineup was Christine and John McVie, Mick Fleetwood and me. The tracks were “Love Shines” and “Heart of Stone.” The last lineup I was in was Bekka Bramlett, Christine McVie, John McVie, Dave Mason, Mick Fleetwood and me.”

bombaysaffires 06-01-2021 10:21 PM

she's still audible on Heart of Stone.:shrug:

as the Queen recently said "recollections may vary"

Villavic 06-01-2021 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1267388)
The last lineup I was in was Bekka Bramlett, Christine McVie, John McVie, Dave Mason, Mick Fleetwood and me.”

I read somewhere that Christine didn't get along with Mason. Did she actually record with him? I mean were they together in the studio?

HomerMcvie 06-01-2021 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1267396)
I read somewhere that Christine didn't get along with Mason. Did she actually record with him? I mean were they together in the studio?

I believe that they HATED each other. If I knew the reason why, I've forgotten. I'll bet Steve MacD knows why, but he seems to have left the board...

I only remember ever seeing ONE pic of the full Time band.

*looks at pic* Man that Bekka was(IS) SMOKING! It's a damned shame they never gave this lineup a real shot!

HomerMcvie 06-01-2021 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And I found a second pic in my archives...