The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Post-Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How many copies did BTM sell (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=21812)

jbrownsjr 08-19-2005 01:18 PM

How many copies did BTM sell

I really like this album. At this point I believed Christine could sing with just about anyone and make a good harmony and sound.

Awesome album, how did it do?

Neal 08-19-2005 01:23 PM

riaa.com says it was certified gold on 7/19/90. Not sure how to find out how many copies it's sold since then...

macfan 57 08-19-2005 03:14 PM

Someone(I believe wetcamelfood) posted a few years ago that BTM sold about 800,000 copies in the U.S. & 2,000,000 worldwide. That's just an estimate since Soundscan didn't start counting until 1991, 1 year after the album was released. It probably sold about what SYW did. It may even have outsold SYW worldwide by a little bit.

wetcamelfood 08-19-2005 08:45 PM

Yeah, you recall correctly macfan57, that was just what I heard, don't have any documentation but the sales #'s aren't a biggie to me either anyways. I think you're right too that BTM probably actually outsold SYW since BTM did very well in the UK, "no. 1" & all, whereas I don't remember hearing anything about SYW "being number one" in any country, so... :)

John

DavidMn 08-22-2005 12:50 PM

You know, I like this album. It's one of those that sorta grows on u I think

mylittledemon 08-22-2005 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
I really like this album. At this point I believed Christine could sing with just about anyone and make a good harmony and sound.

Awesome album, how did it do?

not enough. Semi-proof the band, and that album, weren't relevant at that point in band's career.

jbrownsjr 08-22-2005 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon
not enough. Semi-proof the band, and that album, weren't relevant at that point in band's career.

did you have any official numbers demon? i was interested in how it sold..

mylittledemon 08-22-2005 04:47 PM

Last number I saw were that it had officially gone "gold" nearly 15 yrs ago. But in that time, it still has not been certified as Platinum here in the US. I think it pushed nearly 2 million copies overall.

macfan 57 08-22-2005 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
did you have any official numbers demon? i was interested in how it sold..

jbrownsjr, see the earlier posts from me & wetcamelfood. :)

jbrownsjr 08-22-2005 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57
jbrownsjr, see the earlier posts from me & wetcamelfood. :)

yes i did thanks,

i was looking to see if demon had anything to add in worldwide or current sales....

thanks to everyone, i never knew this sold more than 2 million worldwide

DeeGeMe 08-24-2005 02:12 PM

Count me in as someone who really liked this album too. I listen to it alot actually.

DavidMn 08-28-2005 02:17 AM

I must admit I should listen to BTM more :)

AliceLover 08-29-2005 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMn
I must admit I should listen to BTM more :)

I love this album!

SteveMacD 08-29-2005 08:31 PM

I like the album, although the over-production killed a lot of songs. "Freedom" and "When It Comes To Love" are both good songs, but the production was just ghastly. Christine and Billy had a lot of strong material, Stevie and Rick, not so much, although there weren't any blatantly awful songs on the album. From what I understand, there were better songs that could have been put on the album.

strandinthewind 08-29-2005 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I like the album, although the over-production killed a lot of songs. "Freedom" and "When It Comes To Love" are both good songs, but the production was just ghastly. Christine and Billy had a lot of strong material, Stevie and Rick, not so much, although there weren't any blatantly awful songs on the album. From what I understand, there were better songs that could have been put on the album.

I will never for the life of me get the production of that record. Some of those songs would been much better with a little restraint or more of a clue - Save Me - though terrific, come to mind. But, I like the record nonetheless.