The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Post-Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   21 years of wasted time (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57816)

jbrownsjr 01-10-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1255635)
Let's be real. There was never a chance of a different configuration of Fleetwood Mac members moving forward as a band without slapping the label of Fleetwood Mac on it. Whenever it has been more than 2 Fleetwood Mac members in a group setting, it has been labeled Fleetwood Mac.

John McVie would never agree to leave his boat for a potentially smaller cash haul to do a smaller tour with a band minus Stevie.

Mick has clearly always been motivated by the big money of FM tours and still is.

This is why neither John or Mick participated in the BuckVie tour....and what a lame back-peddling move to do. Have a great time recording the album and then not go out on the road with it for fear of band politics...aka Stevie. They never fully supported Lindsey or Christine in that project. It's the same spineless behavior that occurred when Lindsey was fired.

Would it have been amazing to see them form a group minus Stevie? Heck yeah but the distorted and warped sense of loyalty has and always would have prevented it from happening no matter how you slice it.

It also would have been way too much work and risk for either Mick or John. It's far easier to find a few folks who can cover some guitar parts and "kinda" sound like Fleetwood Mac, reboot the Fleetwood Mac touring show and make a boatload of cash.

Heck, has Jonn McVie EVER played with Micks Blues Band? And they BOTH have homes in Hawaii where Mick and his band play.

I agree. John doesn't want to tour any more than he has to. Thank God Christine and Lindsey still had the itch to write and make new music. Mirage w/ a dash of Tango Part II was kind of cool and breezy listen. 2017 was a wonderful summer.

BigAl84 01-10-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1255636)
I agree. John doesn't want to tour any more than he has to. Thank God Christine and Lindsey still had the itch to write and make new music. Mirage w/ a dash of Tango Part II was kind of cool and breezy listen. 2017 was a wonderful summer.

I mean even going back to Say You Will, in the documentary even though he will admit it was some of the best playing he had done in years, John still moans about even having to be there!

I've always felt it was beyond a miracle that they somehow cobbled together an existence, even if it's a paper-thin chemistry strictly for touring, for the past twenty years since 1997.

It's heartbreaking how much garbage Lindsey was willing to let flow under the bridge and still think of them like family up until 2018 when they ALL proved to really be the awful people that even Lindsey didn't ever believe them to be until then.

BigAl84 01-10-2020 04:40 PM

I also think one of the biggest revelations in the past ten years was when Stevie was quoted complaining about the 2009 tour because there wasn't any conflict between her and Lindsey which she felt made the tour "blah"

That is some sick sh*t right there. These are not twenty-year-old kids in a band together. These are grown a** adults.

What I'm getting at, I don't think there was anything Lindsey could of ever of done to resolve the ongoing issues. Thinking that Christine, John, or Mick would have the balls to step in is liking asking a bunch of toddlers to direct traffic, it wasn't going to happen.

You have two people who just wanted the cash...

One person who just wanted to be with her band again and not get in the middle of it, but really painted herself as spineless.

And one person who really pivoted from being an "artist" to a "performer" and a "performer" at ALL COSTS, a very long time ago who also was only looking out for the glory that comes with being said performer.

So really, Lindsey has and has always been on an island amongst that group.

Murrow 01-11-2020 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1255578)
oh you know way better!:wavey: they can't tour new songs because they have too many past hits? yeah right. :lol: they have a good number of hits but most bands their stature have way more and yet have no problem not doing every single hit they had at every live show. Bowie used to tour his new albums and adding just couple of his hits at the end. Rolling Stones, U2, Springsteen and so many others rotate setlists or some of the songs in setlists. for example, U2 just toured their new album in 2016. they didn't do nearly all their past hits, and they rotated some of their first successful songs from date to date. it's not that hard when the band is not lazy and/or completely dysfunctional and stunted by the worry that audience won't love every single thing they play on first listen!

plus just look at the setlist of Buckingham McVie tour in 2017 - they did 8 new songs plus tons of their old hits plus some deep cuts and still skipped some of their biggest hits.

Oh sure, take one of the three singer/songwriters out and you've got plenty room for a nice mix of old and new. The SYW and BuckVie tours are proof of that.

But even if you just plug the new album and chuck a few hits in at the end, you'd have had three singer/songwriters who will want their own fare share of their own songs included, baying fans (yes that includes me) who'd want all five classic era albums represented somehow.

I have to admit I'm amazed it took two years for anyone to respond to this thread since I started it in a fit of pique, I guess after the appearance on US TV with the baloney about LB not wanting to tour.

When I started the thread there wasn't the Present Band forum so for post-Rumours stuff I could only post here.

I can't see Lindsey accepting the presence of a second guitarist in the recording unit, much less Mick feeling the need with a man of Lindsey's versatility around. Bear in mind the only one-guitar album they did without him was Heroes.

elle 01-11-2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murrow (Post 1255650)
Oh sure, take one of the three singer/songwriters out and you've got plenty room for a nice mix of old and new. The SYW and BuckVie tours are proof of that.

But even if you just plug the new album and chuck a few hits in at the end, you'd have had three singer/songwriters who will want their own fare share of their own songs included, baying fans (yes that includes me) who'd want all five classic era albums represented somehow.

I have to admit I'm amazed it took two years for anyone to respond to this thread since I started it in a fit of pique, I guess after the appearance on US TV with the baloney about LB not wanting to tour.

ha i didn't even look at the date of your post - it makes much more sense knowing when you actually posted! :wavey:

about the 3 songwriters, yes - that's part of what Lindsey used to call "band politics". especially between him and Stevie - each wanted the same number of songs. Christine although she had more hits, seemed to not care as much judging by 2014-15 setlists. so yeah there are legendary bands with many more hits then the Mac, but they didn't have all that band politics to deal with when they would do just a couple of hits at the show.

i just checked setlists of the last year's tour and guess what? only 5 of Stevie-penned songs were in the setlist! (and 7 Christine-penned). so as long as LB is not there, Stevie apparently doesn't care how many of the songs she wrote are in the set. if you had 5 staples from each songwriter that's 15 all together and considering they'd usually do about 22, with the Chain that leaves a space for 6 new songs. so i don't buy nor am i willing to make any excuses for that bunch.

wayner 01-13-2020 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1255579)
And we've been mocking Boston and Journey in Chit Chat, for being "all about the money"...
If Dick and $tevie are in the band, it's ALL about filling every seat in the house. Dick needs the money, and $tevie needs the attention.

both Journey & Boston ( with Foreigner) will be at Jones Beach this summer

i'd rather see those admitted Ca$h grabbers than the group that called themselves 'fleetwood mac' over the past 2 years ( yeah-i got sucked in .... vegas,san diego & atlantic city)

-lost all respect for them

michelej1 01-14-2020 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1255616)
WYWH was heavenly - and it was never performed live before right? and they brought back Hold Me, too, that somehow Mac could never perform for years before.

In fairness, it probably wasn’t somehow the Mac who could not perform it. It probably was Lindsey who did not want to perform it without the layers.

BigAl84 01-14-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1255705)
In fairness, it probably wasn’t somehow the Mac who could not perform it. It probably was Lindsey who did not want to perform it without the layers.

Lmfao...blame Lindsey. OF COURSE!

michelej1 01-14-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1255714)
Lmfao...blame Lindsey. OF COURSE!

I do hold him responsible for that. He put the Phil Spector in Hold Me and probably was dissatisfied with the way it came off on stage without Phil (or fill or feel).

I also blame him for not performing Isn’t It Midnight on tour with Christine because it sounded so incredible live and I miss not getting to hear him do that. I hope his arrangement would have been as good as what we got.

elle 01-14-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1255717)
I do hold him responsible for that. He put the Phil Spector in Hold Me and probably was dissatisfied with the way it came off on stage without Phil (or fill or feel).

I also blame him for not performing Isn’t It Midnight on tour with Christine because it sounded so incredible live and I miss not getting to hear him do that. I hope his arrangement would have been as good as what we got.

do you know whether Hold Me arrangement on the replacements tour 2018-19 was same as BuckVie one, or very different? i heard once a part of it and it was very slowed down, but maybe it evolved. when i first heard they put Hold Me in the set without LB, i figured that was because Christine already had it done with him during BuckVie.

Think About Me on 2014-15 tour (Aus leg) was disappointing, unlike Hold Me on BuckVie tour.

Macfan4life 01-14-2020 05:44 PM

Christine did a wonderful Hold Me on her solo tour in 1984. Sounded better live then than the Mac's 1982 version. Of course Chris had several guys backing her but no background singers LOL

BigAl84 01-14-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1255717)

LOL...blame and hold somebody accountable for something you have ZERO facts to base your argument on. Priceless.

michelej1 01-15-2020 01:32 AM

You don’t know what facts I have. For me, it isn’t an argument.

michelej1 01-15-2020 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1255719)
do you know whether Hold Me arrangement on the replacements tour 2018-19 was same as BuckVie one, or very different?

No, it was different.

HomerMcvie 01-15-2020 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1255719)
do you know whether Hold Me arrangement on the replacements tour 2018-19 was same as BuckVie one, or very different? i heard once a part of it and it was very slowed down, but maybe it evolved. when i first heard they put Hold Me in the set without LB, i figured that was because Christine already had it done with him during BuckVie.

Think About Me on 2014-15 tour (Aus leg) was disappointing, unlike Hold Me on BuckVie tour.

I'm positive that Hold Me was tracks on BuckVie. Christine wasn't playing the piano intro or break, and Brett wasn't either. And the original was in the key of D. BuckVie was dropped to B. I have video on my (old) phone of it.

Not sure about 2018/2019, because I have no interest in Fakewood Mac.