The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New album 'Lindsey Buckingham' out September (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59277)

HomerMcvie 06-09-2021 10:34 AM

He seems to be doing more praying to the Commercial Gods these days.

bombaysaffires 06-09-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1267645)
He seems to be doing more praying to the Commercial Gods these days.

well, don't think they answered his call on this song...:eek:

it's lovely, it's got its guitar hooks, but those vocals.....not sure how overall it will go with non Buck/ non Mac fans.:shrug:

michelej1 06-09-2021 01:03 PM

You guys make me think that chiliD is right here with us. He was always telling us how Lindsey wrote the same song over and over again.

sodascouts 06-09-2021 02:58 PM

I found “I Don’t Care” pleasant and inoffensive, but unremarkable. I’ve only listened once so far, though. Perhaps upon repeated listens, it will grow upon me and I will find it as masterful as others do. Lindsey’s work seems to always improve with multiple listens.

I see “On the Wrong Side” is on the track listing. That has always been a favorite of mine. I wonder if he will have changed it much? It needs no improvement and if he is true to form, it will not be very different from the earlier release. Such a beautiful song.

On the other hand, I hope he has improved “Dancing” from what was performed live a few years ago. It dragged quite a bit musically, IMO, although the lyrics were interesting.

So looking forward to this new album!

Jondalar 06-09-2021 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1267652)
I found “I Don’t Care” pleasant and inoffensive, but unremarkable. I’ve only listened once so far, though. Perhaps upon repeated listens, it will grow upon me and I will find it as masterful as others do. Lindsey’s work seems to always improve with multiple listens.

I see “On the Wrong Side” is on the track listing. That has always been a favorite of mine. I wonder if he will have changed it much? It needs no improvement and if he is true to form, it will not be very different from the earlier release. Such a beautiful song.

On the other hand, I hope he has improved “Dancing” from what was performed live a few years ago. It dragged quite a bit musically, IMO, although the lyrics were interesting.

So looking forward to this new album!

You mean "I Don't Mind?" I think the song is boring and sort of retro. I liked "In My Word" a lot better and it deven had a stronger retro feel. I bought the album and I just hope there is something interesting on there. There is nothing really special about the first single at all. Very forgettable but he is in his 70s, so I'm just glad he is putting something out.

aleuzzi 06-09-2021 09:58 PM

I dig the chorus but am bored by the verses. Love the layers of guitars and vocals. Nicely produced.

Re: the lp cover photo: Lindsey has really good bone structure.

BigAl84 06-10-2021 12:03 PM

I think somebody asked what happened to the Blue Light title...Paul Simon kind of beat him to the punch and released an album called In The Blue Light in the period between announcing the album was ready and the eventual release date announcement. Maybe he didn't want to be redundant.

In Your Dreams 06-10-2021 01:54 PM

He should have named it Time…no confusion there:laugh:

sue 06-10-2021 04:02 PM

I like...”I don’t mind”
It’s catchy, but an undertone to it..

I know it doesn’t sound like it, but it reminds me of ..Dakota..by The Stereophonics...I think it’s the rhythm.

louielouie2000 06-10-2021 11:04 PM

Given the rather lukewarm reception and comparisons to some of his more middling songs, I went into 'I Don't Mind' with low expectations. Yes, the song is sonically felicitous, but it has none of the cloying nature of some of the works it has been compared to. While this song absolutely does reference Lindsey's past works, I hear a lot more shades of Law & Order and Go Insane than I do the usual suspects like Tango and his 21st century repertoire. I normally cringe at his whispery vocals, but they are blended and layered sufficiently and just work here. I will admit to not being particularly hopeful about this new album, but I Don't Mind has changed that. I think it's a lovely song; aurally sophisticated, deferent to his legacy, but lacking some of the tiresome production gimmicks he tends to fall back on. Yes, this is a pop song and very classically Lindsey Buckingham... but it's also alluring and implausibly fresh. I can't wait to hear more.

HomerMcvie 06-10-2021 11:33 PM

It's good to see you back here, Louie!:angel:

jbrownsjr 06-11-2021 07:25 AM

Louie!! :D

DownOnRodeo 06-11-2021 08:05 AM

Eminently playable

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 1267689)
Given the rather lukewarm reception and comparisons to some of his more middling songs, I went into 'I Don't Mind' with low expectations. Yes, the song is sonically felicitous, but it has none of the cloying nature of some of the works it has been compared to. While this song absolutely does reference Lindsey's past works, I hear a lot more shades of Law & Order and Go Insane than I do the usual suspects like Tango and his 21st century repertoire. I normally cringe at his whispery vocals, but they are blended and layered sufficiently and just work here. I will admit to not being particularly hopeful about this new album, but I Don't Mind has changed that. I think it's a lovely song; aurally sophisticated, deferent to his legacy, but lacking some of the tiresome production gimmicks he tends to fall back on. Yes, this is a pop song and very classically Lindsey Buckingham... but it's also alluring and implausibly fresh. I can't wait to hear more.

Louie's positive review got me to sign up for Spotify and listen. I listened with headphones (and full disclosure some alcohol had been consumed).

I really like this track--the instrumentation/engineering, the structure of the music, the hooks. Although the occasional cliché rhymes in his and Christine's songs can irk me, and the "willow/pillow" couplet looked bad on paper, but the lyrics work for me in this song.

A bit of Ricky with a touch of Time Bomb Town, but something new and different all the same.

If this is a sign of what to expect from the whole album production-wise I can't wait. Lindsey might not consider this praise, but I can also hear this being used as music on a TV show or movie in the future.

I'm also so delighted that he is finally releasing this album and not bothering with another "maybe I can turn it into a Fleetwood Mac album" debacle. The fresh sound of this track reminds me of the tight and perky Lindsey solo version of Peacekeeper and how I much preferred it to the SYW version with Mick & John's sluggish rhythm line and Stevie's vocal contributions.

All the way with LB!

TrueFaith77 06-11-2021 10:15 AM

I love the song because I love Lindsey and it is indicative and typical of what he does. I keep humming it! And I keep listening to it.

But it ranks fourth to Did You Miss Me, End of Time, and In My World.

What bothers me about Lindsey’s post-Screws output is that his whisper vocals are inexplicable. He sounds great singing straight on those This Is 40 tracks.

Even more problematic is the weird production where everything is quiet in the verses and then EXPLODES in the chorus. Why does he do this? It didn’t bother me in GOS because it was so wild and Brechtian—it was new (in other words, it bothered me but i liked being bothered). But it doesn’t work with SWS or here. BM was slightly more tempered.

Anyway, I see him working on some impulse in BM and LB that does harken back to a lo-fi version of Go Insane or Law and Order or even OOTC. I’m okay with it—it’s just i was hoping that Brother and Sister and the Empire of the Sun track would lead to more euphoric pop pastures.

I don’t blame him for not coming up with something as radical as Tusk or Prince’s Batdance because nobody else has done it either.

michelej1 06-11-2021 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1267693)

I really like this track--the instrumentation/engineering, the structure of the music, the hooks. Although the occasional cliché rhymes in his and Christine's songs can irk me, and the "willow/pillow" couplet looked bad on paper, but the lyrics work for me in this song.

It did remind me of Christine lyrics. I’m surprised he didn’t throw in the phrase “Jack of hearts” to get me good and riled.