The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Best Stevie Nicks Performance of All Time (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59302)

David 07-27-2021 01:49 PM

Best Stevie Nicks Performance of All Time

What do you think is the best Stevie Nicks concert performance of all time?

I have to say that I think it was at the Fabulous Forum in Los Angeles on Oct. 2, 1983.

BombaySapphire3 07-27-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1268429)

I have to say that I think it was at the Fabulous Forum in Los Angeles on Oct. 2, 1983.

She was great on that leg of the Wild Heart tour .I was at the Irvine Meadows show. That was really the last hurrah of the old Stevie.

Macfan4life 07-28-2021 04:45 PM

I saw an early Wild Heart Show that was my first concert but also extremely out of control. So much that the local rock station interviewed a DJ who had been with the rock station for 25 years and he commented it was the worst show he ever saw because Stevie was so high. I always saw her on controlled substances and by the time she got off them, her voice was flat and her sets short and boring.
I was not there but clearly from audio and the HBO concert, I would have to say the video concert in 1981. I actually enjoyed the Whole Lotta Trouble tour for its rocking band (2 guitarists) and the bass player from Heart and set list. I found her more alert in 1991 than 1990 and 1989. The set just was too short.
I think that's what makes a Stevie show an oxymoron. You never knew what to expect and that was part of the thrill. Would she forget to introduce the band or a band member. How many songs would she botch while singing. Would she mention the city and know where she was playing? All of that was part of the excitement for awhile.

Having said all of this... my vote would go for July 4, 1998 Enchanted Tour. She was off drugs. She expanded the set and played songs like Sleeping Angel, Rose Garden, and Garbo and her band was really good. I was part of the edge walk that night so for me the show was extra special.

vivfox 07-28-2021 08:45 PM

Just for pure excitement and energy I would say September 13, 1983 at Radio City Music Hall. Myself and everybody in the audience were so in love with her at that time and we could not stop yelling at the top of our lungs. Everyone wanted Stevie to notice them. The excitement of being in NYC and especially a smaller venue than an arena. Tom Petty making a surprise appearance and singing onstage with her. I doubt I will ever forget that night.

aleuzzi 07-29-2021 06:33 AM

I’m not familiar with more than a handful of her concert performances but from what I’ve seen and heard I have to say her 1998 Storytellers special—if that even qualifies for a concert performance.

She had her comeback with the band that made her famous and now was smart enough to capitalize on the moment to reaffirm the strength of her solo work. Her voice was in top form. Her stories between songs were engaging and articulate, not rambling. And her performances of “After the Glitter Fades” and “Has Anyone…” are, I think, among her best.

I also really really really dig her version of “At Last” from around this time. Her voice was powerful and her tone had not changed. She was singing in lower registers, but more intelligently and economically than ever before.

David 07-29-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1268430)
She was great on that leg of the Wild Heart tour .I was at the Irvine Meadows show. That was really the last hurrah of the old Stevie.

Did you ever see my snapshots of that show at Irvine? I’m surprised I didn’t get an immediate job for Life.

David 07-29-2021 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1268466)
I’m not familiar with more than a handful of her concert performances but from what I’ve seen and heard I have to say her 1998 Storytellers special—if that even qualifies for a concert performance.

She had her comeback with the band that made her famous and now was smart enough to capitalize on the moment to reaffirm the strength of her solo work. Her voice was in top form. Her stories between songs were engaging and articulate, not rambling. And her performances of “After the Glitter Fades” and “Has Anyone…” are, I think, among her best.

I also really really really dig her version of “At Last” from around this time. Her voice was powerful and her tone had not changed. She was singing in lower registers, but more intelligently and economically than ever before.

1998 was a pretty good year for Stevie. I saw the shows at Irvine Meadows (Michael McDonald opening) and Universal indoors (Boz Scaggs opening). Nice stuff, but during Stevie’s set, I wanted Boz to play “Lowdown” again. He had some backup singers and some cool percussion on it, and it had such a groove that I wiggled my . . . myself in my chair.

aleuzzi 07-29-2021 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1268477)
1998 was a pretty good year for Stevie. I saw the shows at Irvine Meadows (Michael McDonald opening) and Universal indoors (Boz Scaggs opening). Nice stuff, but during Stevie’s set, I wanted Boz to play “Lowdown” again. He had some backup singers and some cool percussion on it, and it had such a groove that I wiggled my . . . myself in my chair.

Wiggling yourself in public, again? Damn, Scaggs must’ve been THAT good, eh. I do enjoy McDonald, too. No man does love lorn better.

Macfan4life 07-30-2021 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1268477)

Didn't the percussion girl have center stage? She was an interesting part of the band playing that percussion stuff. I remember thinking what in the world is she doing. I have never seen anything like that since.

BombaySapphire3 07-30-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1268476)
Did you ever see my snapshots of that show at Irvine? I’m surprised I didn’t get an immediate job for Life.

I don't think so but would love to see them!

Neal 07-30-2021 04:29 PM

Would anyone believe me if I said Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Aug. 20, 1986?

No?

What about Shoreline Amphitheatre, Oct. 20, 1989? :confused:

:p

Macfan4life 07-31-2021 03:43 AM

I also love her Bob Welch and friends Gold Dust Woman performance in the mini skirt. That concert is incredible.

secret love 07-31-2021 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1268429)

I liked her 24 Karat Gold Tour set lists in 2016 and 2017. Saw her both years in Sacramento CA and Sydney NSW.

As a side note, has anyone noticed that at Stevie’s solo RRHOF induction, when she did Stop Dragging My Heart Around with Harry Styles, young Harry’s guitar isn’t plugged into an amp? He’s literally just miming on a guitar that isn’t even plugged in making up random chords/fingerings. Lol!

UnwindedDreams 08-01-2021 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret love (Post 1268521)
I liked her 24 Karat Gold Tour set lists in 2016 and 2017. Saw her both years in Sacramento CA and Sydney NSW.

As a side note, has anyone noticed that at Stevie’s solo RRHOF induction, when she did Stop Dragging My Heart Around with Harry Styles, young Harry’s guitar isn’t plugged into an amp? He’s literally just miming on a guitar that isn’t even plugged in making up random chords/fingerings. Lol!

I didn't think she did enough songs from the album 24 Karat Gold. All the Beautiful Worlds, title track, The Dealer, Twisted, Watch Chain.

Also, Rooms On Fire, Trouble in Shangri-La, Blue Denim, & If You Ever Did Believe would've been great to dust off as "special golden" songs too.

I never noticed that about Harry. When they did Stop Draggin in Rome for a private gig in May, he didn't use a guitar:laugh:

secret love 08-01-2021 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1268527)
I didn't think she did enough songs from the album 24 Karat Gold. All the Beautiful Worlds, title track, The Dealer, Twisted, Watch Chain.

Also, Rooms On Fire, Trouble in Shangri-La, Blue Denim, & If You Ever Did Believe would've been great to dust off as "special golden" songs too.

I never noticed that about Harry. When they did Stop Draggin in Rome for a private gig in May, he didn't use a guitar:laugh:

Stevie and Harry were in Rome, Italy in May? May 2020 or May 2021? Neither year could be considered a safe time to be in Italy with the pandemic and all.

Or are you joking around and they weren’t in Rome and I’ve fallen for the joke?

Moving on from that curiosity (maybe you meant May 2019 they were in Italy, who knows?) I must agree that despite the 24 Karat Gold Tour set list being one of Stevie’s “less safe” set lists, it was still pretty safe. All the classic hits were there (except she dropped the tired old “Dreams” from the set for part of the tour - they put it back in later) and she did a mere THREE songs from her latest studio album.

I thought Gold and Braid was a hopeless choice to open the set. I don’t even know which album it comes from and when you are an established singer with a fan base then you ought to open with either:
(A) A very well known catchy upbeat song from your catalogue that the most casual fans would even know
OR
(B) choose boldly and open with a new song off your latest album - why not Starshine, given it is super catchy and was a single?

If I got to choose the “new” songs I wanted to hear at those concerts:
- Starshine (tick)
- Belle Fleur (tick)
- 24 Karat Gold
- All the Beautiful Worlds
- Hard Advice (acoustic version with Waddy or Dave Stewart)
- Twisted
- Watch Chain
- I Don’t Care (and dedicate it to Lindsey by saying “I’d like to take a moment. Just to dedicate this newish song to Lindsey. Because it’s not written about him, but it just sums up so perfectly how I feel about him trying to record a Fleetwood Mac album without me… you’ll hear it when I sing it… “I don’t mean it, I do care. I would follow you anywhere. Lindsey, what would my life be without you in it? Jealous, broken, lost and angry” … this is “I Don’t Care”.)
Now I’m just being cheeky.
- She Loves Him Still (This should have either closed the set or been the second last song played before Landslide.)

Quick question was Landslide the last song she played on this tour? It was the encore, like it is on the live album, right?