The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Bob Welch Writes Great Songs (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=43916)

aleuzzi 05-24-2010 09:20 PM

Bob Welch Writes Great Songs

Okay, this has probably been discussed before, but damn, I love Bob's songs. I am absolutely stunned that no smooth, intelligent young musician hasn't tried to cover his material, recasting it of course in a contemporary context. His songs have a lot of malleability and can be performed in a number of ways.

What prompted this thread? I just downloaded I-tunes songs from his solo album "The Other One." "Watch the Animals" is a GREAT tune.

But then there is rarely a day at the gym when I don't listen to the Sausalito "live" recording of "Bermuda Triangle." Genius.

chiliD 05-24-2010 11:44 PM

I really can't think of a bad song he contributed to Fleetwood Mac...he's had a couple of clunkers on solo albums, but still they're few & far between. (I like even some songs Bob himself loathes that he's done).

His recent stuff (available for download on his website) is VERY GOOD. "Twist & Turn", "Angels", "Opium", off the top of my head, are as good as any of his Fleetwood Mac contributions.

jbrownsjr 05-25-2010 08:00 PM

I concur... My favorite FM period is with Bob Welch... in my opinion he directed the band into a mysterious jazzy kind of feel... it had pop elements, jazz sounds, and great blends of musicianship... the perfect underground band at the time..

HomerMcvie 05-25-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 892237)
I concur... My favorite FM period is with Bob Welch...

ME TOO!!!!!! And Bob is by far, the coolest, most down to Earth member of FM(okay, John's right there with him).

holidayroad 05-26-2010 07:53 AM

I love so many songs by Bob Welch, far too many to name, solo and with Fleetwood Mac. 'Future Games' is a definite favorite. 'Silver Heels' and 'Angel' are close seconds! As for solo work, 'Easy To Fall' has always been a favorite. I know it isn't the best written song in the world, but something stands out about it. Some of the newer songs he has up on his site are great. I haven't had them long, so I'm still working out what I like best!

chriskisn 05-27-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 892249)
ME TOO!!!!!! And Bob is by far, the coolest, most down to Earth member of FM(okay, John's right there with him).

Plus Mr Vito...

goldustsongbird 05-27-2010 05:44 PM

I do love Bob Welch. And his glasses.

Think I'll give Mystery to Me a listen tonight. :)

HomerMcvie 05-27-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldustsongbird (Post 892673)
I do love Bob Welch. And his glasses.

Think I'll give Mystery to Me a listen tonight. :)

I have a strange relationship with MTM. It's my summer album! I play it almost every day, while I'm swimming. It just sounds like summer to me!

And of course it's the greatest FM album ever made.

goldustsongbird 05-28-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 892693)
I have a strange relationship with MTM. It's my summer album! I play it almost every day, while I'm swimming. It just sounds like summer to me!

And of course it's the greatest FM album ever made.

Can you swim to Why? :laugh:

HomerMcvie 05-29-2010 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldustsongbird (Post 892867)
Can you swim to Why? :laugh:

No, I usually take a glass of red wine during Why!;)

I just love MTM, on a hot summer day.

goldustsongbird 05-30-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 892884)
No, I usually take a glass of red wine during Why!;)

I just love MTM, on a hot summer day.

Thing is, I think we've discussed this before, and you already told me that Why was the drinking song. :D