The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   MOVIES you watched this week? (DVD) (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39417)

louielouie2000 02-16-2010 03:10 AM

Bonneville: Stunning cinematography. Otherwise, this one fell flat. Even heavyweight actors such as Kathy Bates couldn't overcome their character's wooden, one dimensional dialogue. The whole thing seemed all too familiar... and you pretty much knew exactly what was going to happen, and even what each character was going to say next. Regardless, I enjoyed seeing this movie if for no other reason than it was beautiful to watch. I've been pretty much every place this movie was shot at, and it was a wonderful trip down memory lane.

iamnotafraid 02-16-2010 04:58 AM

Terminator Salvation
The TV series was better than the movie.
Maybe the movie would have been better
with Summer Glau. Man Vs. Machine.....
where have I heard that before....oh yeah,
I remember the Shop Erotic commercial.

chelluversu 02-16-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 871479)
CRAP, that one's in my cart.

ICHI
This could have been so much better. If you can stand it read the subtitles,
the English overdubs are absolutely horrible and ruin the movie. Some of
it made me feel like I was watching Kung Fu theater.

Up next Terminator Salvation...

Subtitles can completely ruin the movie especially if they aren't accurate. I remember a seen in One Missed Call where this girl is with a group of her friends and they are bothering her about this guy and the subtitles show her saying "Why would I have a boyfriend?" and other things that don't fit what is actually going on or just sounds like bad english lol.. Overdubs are usually terrible anyway because it just doesn't look right and can sometimes make a serious scene seem comedic..

Kung Fu Hustle:
I've seen this movie about 5 times...i still love it

Bird on a Wire
I realized while watching this movie that Goldie is really beautiful. I always thought she was but idk for some reason I was watching this movie and i had a moment where i kinda went..damn =]

The Chain 02-16-2010 06:35 PM

Saw the newest Werner Herzog movie last week, The Bad Lieutenant, thought it was great, probably one of the most "perfect" movies I've see in a while.. That said, only the best directors can get a decent performance out of Nic Cage! I think he's a terrible actor, but the greats know how to use him. Haven't seen him deliever such a strange, interesting role since David Lynch's Wild At Heart. My uncle always tells me to check out Adaptation.. I've heard good things, and I'll prob get around to it.. but the thought of watching Nicholas Cage in a movie thats not attatched to a filmmaker I already enjoy/follow..:sorry:

desertangel 02-17-2010 01:11 AM

Since I installed the Roku digital player, I don't watch anything but Netflix movies. It would take a lot of time to list all the ones I've watched here, so I'll post when I see one that's exceptionally good or exceptionally stinky.

I'll start with the exceptionally good movie:
Clint Eastwood starred in, directed and produced 2008's "Gran Torino." It's been a long time since a movie made a tear run down my face. I really loved this movie. Eastwood found a way to parlay Dirty Harry into old age and he did it with grace and style, as always. Dude is 79 years old now. I'll be just as sad when he passes as I was when Paul Newman passed.

The exceptionally stinky movies was Jim Carey in "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." I was multi=tasking while watching this movie, which isn't a good sign and it didn't make it any easier for me to follow the weirdness that was this movie. Guess I'm not a fan of Jim's darker comedies, though I did love The Mask and Ace Ventura.

Miss Vicky 02-17-2010 01:45 AM

^It's a shame you didn't like Eternal Sunshine. I think it's an absolutely brilliant film and is one of my all-time favorites.

It's a bit of a misnomer to call it a comedy though, it's much more of a romance in reverse.

LukeA 02-17-2010 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chain (Post 872068)
Saw the newest Werner Herzog movie last week, The Bad Lieutenant, thought it was great, probably one of the most "perfect" movies I've see in a while.. That said, only the best directors can get a decent performance out of Nic Cage! I think he's a terrible actor, but the greats know how to use him. Haven't seen him deliever such a strange, interesting role since David Lynch's Wild At Heart. My uncle always tells me to check out Adaptation.. I've heard good things, and I'll prob get around to it.. but the thought of watching Nicholas Cage in a movie thats not attatched to a filmmaker I already enjoy/follow..:sorry:

Have you seen the original 1992 Harvey Keitel "Bad Lieutenant"? I'm very curious to see the the new one, but I'm wondering if it can approach how raw & powerful the Keitel-starred version is.

iamnotafraid 02-17-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelluversu (Post 871981)
Overdubs are usually terrible.

^^True.

Law Abiding Citizen
Gerard Butler and Jamie Foxx, I guess those two names should have been
enough to warn me about this movie. The best I can say about this movie
is that I've seen worse.

chelluversu 02-18-2010 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 872247)
^^True.

Law Abiding Citizen
Gerard Butler and Jamie Foxx, I guess those two names should have been
enough to warn me about this movie. The best I can say about this movie
is that I've seen worse.

I actually liked this movie even though i believed it could have been so much better. I could do without Jamie Foxx but i love Jerry.
Death by cell phone :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertangel (Post 872137)
I'll start with the exceptionally good movie:
Clint Eastwood starred in, directed and produced 2008's "Gran Torino." It's been a long time since a movie made a tear run down my face. I really loved this movie. Eastwood found a way to parlay Dirty Harry into old age and he did it with grace and style, as always. Dude is 79 years old now. I'll be just as sad when he passes as I was when Paul Newman passed.

I absolutely love this movie to death and Clint Eastwood is amazing. I still can't believe he is about to be 80. I always feel like I'm being lied to when celebrities reveal their age =\

Angel69 02-18-2010 09:34 PM

Ruffneck Ricans
BearMayhem

Ghost_Tracker 02-18-2010 10:18 PM

I watched "Planet of the Apes" and "Beneath the Planet of the Apes," and tomorrow I'm going to watch "Escape from the Planet of the Apes."

Yeah, I know....

(*hanging head in shame.*) ;)

mylittledemon 02-18-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker (Post 872506)
I watched "Planet of the Apes" and "Beneath the Planet of the Apes," and tomorrow I'm going to watch "Escape from the Planet of the Apes."

(*hanging head in shame.*) ;)

at least it's not the Tim Burton one. And I love Tim Burton.

ButterCookie 02-19-2010 06:07 AM

Hairspray- 1988
Just, awesome! :D A really good laugh, and the cast make it even better; Debbie Harry, Ricki Lake, Sonny Bono and a guest appearance from Pia Zadora. It's lighthearted and funny. I watched it with my mum and younger sister and we all loved it :thumbsup:

David 02-19-2010 01:47 PM

I'm on a Jet Li kick, no pun intended.

I can't remember the names of all these chop suey movies, but I've been watching them all week, really enjoying myself.

Richard B 02-19-2010 02:10 PM

Sin Nombre - fantastic and gut wrenching.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA240_.jpg

Unconcious (2004) - how did I miss this back then? Charming, witty and clever.

Vitus

mylittledemon 02-20-2010 03:11 AM

Just watched THE HANGOVER... and it wasn't nearly as funny as I thought it was supposed to/going to be.

I thought the funniest part was when the bearded guy was thanking Bin Laden for ruining his airplane masturbation technique :shrug:

ILoveFM 02-20-2010 11:30 PM

I watched sling blade for the first time tonight. It was a masterpiece.

chelluversu 02-21-2010 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveFM (Post 872835)

I saw what a sling blade looked like for the first time in my life yesterday. I immediately thought of Billy Bob Thorton.

White Oleander There's a book i believe..here's another one that I will have to buy :nod:
My Life My friends know that I am kind of in love/like with Nicole Kidman so I will watch any movie she is in lol. This movie is really sweet..and sad but i would love my parent to make a movie for me if they wouldn't get the chance to see me grow up just so they could somehow be there:distress:
The Glass House I was distracted every time i saw something that was a throwback to my childhood. There was the playstation, that computer thing (that my sims had lol), dial up, pagers lol, etc. Good movie tho

Wildheart82 02-22-2010 01:31 PM

I saw The Prestige for the first time last night. What a great movie, I can't believe I missed it the first time, unbelievable ending. I also saw Hangover for the first time last week - hillarious - makes me want to go to Vegas:laugh:

iamnotafraid 02-23-2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildheart82 (Post 873167)
I saw The Prestige for the first time last night. What a great movie. :

I love "The Presitge". Can't tell you how many times I've watched it. It will be
mine on Blu ray.

Surrogates
I kind of expected not to like this one, but it surprised me.
Turned out pretty good. Our society isn't that far off from
what the movie's about. We're almost there. Less computers,
toss the cell phone and Ipods and get back into real life.

In A Day
This romantic indie drama was very good.

iamnotafraid 02-25-2010 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveFM (Post 872835)

That's a great movie. Billy Bob's best. Dwight Yoakam played one mean dude.
All the actors did a great job.

iamnotafraid 02-28-2010 07:02 PM

The Vicious Kind
Another movie that left me wondering - why
did they make it? I guess I should have played
guitar instead.

baboles 02-28-2010 07:46 PM

500 Days of Summer.

This film is just fantastic! Anyone else see it?

StreetAngel95 02-28-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baboles (Post 874370)
500 Days of Summer.

This film is just fantastic! Anyone else see it?

love, love, love! Zooey Deschanel is fantastic! My dad made me see this with him because he has a cruch on her! LOL:laugh:

baboles 02-28-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreetAngel95 (Post 874372)
love, love, love! Zooey Deschanel is fantastic! My dad made me see this with him because he has a cruch on her! LOL:laugh:

I know right! I'm so in love with Zooey Deschanel!

iamnotafraid 03-04-2010 03:09 AM

It's hard to imagine this movie being
any worse than it was. Save yourself
over two hours of your life..............
DON'T WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carrie721 03-04-2010 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 874938)
It's hard to imagine this movie being
any worse than it was. Save yourself
over two hours of your life..............
DON'T WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but you get to see los angeles get all blowed up!

iamnotafraid 03-04-2010 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrie721 (Post 874940)
but you get to see los angeles get all blowed up!

Hmmmmm?

If we lost San Fran, half our Ledgies would disappear.

mylittledemon 03-04-2010 04:17 AM

Quote:

I saw The Prestige for the first time last night. What a great movie, I can't believe I missed it the first time, unbelievable ending. I also saw Hangover for the first time last week - hillarious - makes me want to go to Vegas:laugh:

The Prestige had one good thing in it... David Bowie.

And "The Hangover" was not funny.

GypsySorcerer 03-04-2010 08:37 AM

Just wanted to chime in and say I really did not like The Hangover. I must be getting old. :laugh:

ILoveFM 03-04-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Can I just say how much I love The Prestige. It's one of my favorite movies ever. Everytime I watch it I catch something that I missed the first time. Sooo good! As for The Hangover- I thought it was funny, but it didn't live up to the hype. It wasn't that good, IMO.

mylittledemon 03-05-2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer (Post 874965)
Just wanted to chime in and say I really did not like The Hangover. I must be getting old. :laugh:

Don't get me wrong, I love Old School... Animal House... Road Trip... and some of those other slapstick movies... but when I was watching The Hangover... i felt it was just a bunch of crude stuff strung together that tried to resemble a movie. i didn't care about any of the characters, or really find them all that funny. :shocked:

iamnotafraid 03-06-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 875163)
a bunch of crude stuff strung together that tried to resemble a movie.

It's sad that this describes most new movies.

CreepingDeath 03-06-2010 05:42 PM

Alice In Wonderland in IMAX 3D

ButterCookie 03-06-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreepingDeath (Post 875536)
Alice In Wonderland in IMAX 3D

YER LATE FER TEEAA

I'm going to see this on the 20th. :thumbsup:

baboles 03-07-2010 12:00 AM

I just bought The Hunger (1983) with Susan Surrandon and David Bowie. Haven't watched it yet, but I will soon. Anyone else see it?

baboles 03-07-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterCookie (Post 875537)
YER LATE FER TEEAA

I'm going to see this on the 20th. :thumbsup:

I just saw it yesterday. It was a very entertaining film!

louielouie2000 03-07-2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baboles (Post 875567)
I just saw it yesterday. It was a very entertaining film!

Good to hear! I see the critics are giving it mixed reviews... but I'm sure I'll enjoy it regardless :D

Zombie 03-07-2010 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baboles (Post 875566)
I just bought The Hunger (1983) with Susan Surrandon and David Bowie. Haven't watched it yet, but I will soon. Anyone else see it?

Oh man, The Hunger. Haven't seen it in years, but now I wanna dig it out and watch it, just for the sheer amount of amazing contained therein - you get Bowie, Catherine Deneuve, Cliff De Young, Susan Sarandon, Bauhaus, and even Willem Dafoe all wrapped up in one spectacularly mediocre but glamorous looking vampire flick. A+! :laugh:

Richard B 03-07-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baboles (Post 875566)

Classic film. Style over substance, but worth every moment watching.

Recently watched:

Coco Before Chanel - Audrey Tautou is always fascinating to watch, but the film is somewhat uneven and mediocre.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Paraiso Travel - Gripping story (based on an equally riveting novel) of a Columbian illegal immigrant in New York. Flipping from the streets of NY and the journey to get there will have you on the edge of your seat.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg