The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Two Re-Issues coming? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59254)

On Ice 05-14-2021 08:35 AM

Two Re-Issues coming?

Just saw an instagram post from Rhino about a not one, but two album deal for reissues of RAL and TOSOTM! While RAL is certainly not my favourite, there are so many great songs from the period that were scrapped which would be awesome to hear cleaned up versions. Running Through the Garden and You Like Me come to mind. Same with TOSOTM, what lurks in the outtakes that we've never heard before? I think of the Wild Heart with the unknown Sorcerer outtake, which was not only wonderful but a welcomed surprise. Same potential exists for these two albums. I can't wait, I can't wait.

David 05-14-2021 12:26 PM

Sounds great. I hope they add some live stuff from somewhere, too, and good photos.

bwboy 05-14-2021 01:10 PM

Oh man, I have been hoping for this ever since Bella Donna and The Wild Heart got the Deluxe treatment! I really really really wish they would rerelease the Red Rocks video untouched (without the reshot close ups) and unedited with more songs, such as I Can’t Wait, etc. but I know that’ll never happen. Might get an audio though, like we did on BD. Behind the Mask is my #1 wish for a Deluxe, but RAL and TOSOTM are #2 and 3!

Neal 05-14-2021 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1266975)
Sounds great. I hope they add some live stuff from somewhere, too, and good photos.

There's definitely enough live material from both tourss to give us a 3rd CD a la the Bella Donna reissue. *fingers crossed*

Stevieforever 05-15-2021 02:28 AM

This is so exciting!!! I have been waiting for years for these too and to think it might finally be happening is really fantastic. There is so much extra material from Rock a Little, it could be a treasure trove for die hard fans!

AnthonyMI 05-15-2021 05:26 AM

Reconsider Me, Running Through Garden, lady From The Mountain, Mirror Mirror, soundtrack cuts, what else? Didn’t she basically abandon a record with Jimmy in between her last album and RAL? She could add Needles and Pins and Insider from same era off the Tom Petty Live album.

BombaySapphire3 05-15-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyMI (Post 1267010)
Reconsider Me, Running Through Garden, lady From The Mountain, Mirror Mirror, soundtrack cuts, what else? Didn’t she basically abandon a record with Jimmy in between her last album and RAL? She could add Needles and Pins and Insider from same era off the Tom Petty Live album.

Yeah the Mirror Mirror album. It was a few weeks away from release in the summer of 1984. They should release it in it's entirety on a RAL deluxe but I know that will not happen.

sleepless child 05-15-2021 12:41 PM

I saw this on Facebook somewhere and just about lost it!! I'm really looking forward to this if they do it right.

jbrownsjr 05-16-2021 10:35 AM

I get made fun of, but I love TOSOTM and don't mind RAL. This is great news.

HomerMcvie 05-16-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1267044)
I get made fun of, but I love TOSOTM and don't mind RAL. This is great news.

RAL was tolerable. OSOTM was awful. $he lost me forever with that turd.

AnthonyMI 05-16-2021 11:28 AM

Just think! We may finally get a CD quality version of This hidden gem!

https://youtu.be/rVu0Vb0yvyA

BombaySapphire3 05-16-2021 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyMI (Post 1267046)
Just think! We may finally get a CD quality version of This hidden gem!

https://youtu.be/rVu0Vb0yvyA

Ugh those Kenny G produced tracks need to stay hidden. For those that hate TOSOTM just imagine how horrible it would have been with that purveyor
of elevator muzak at the helm.

Macfan4life 05-16-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1267048)
Ugh those Kenny G produced tracks need to stay hidden. For those that hate TOSOTM just imagine how horrible it would have been with that purveyor
of elevator muzak at the helm.

I agree. While I dont like the album RAL, I love the outcast songs or demos. I like the album OSOTM but I dont care for the outcast/demo songs. OMG, if I had to sit through Dial the number, I would be dialing for help listening to the song :eek:

Does anyone remember the Westwood 1 radio concert during RAL. It was her live RAL concert with interviews. Now, that would make a great addition to the CD. As I recall, it was not an out of control concert. But I doubt we would get a live CD with the reissue.

bwboy 05-16-2021 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1267050)
Does anyone remember the Westwood 1 radio concert during RAL. It was her live RAL concert with interviews. Now, that would make a great addition to the CD. As I recall, it was not an out of control concert. But I doubt we would get a live CD with the reissue.

We got the audio of the White Winged Dove tour from HBO on the Bella Donna reissue, so I expect we’ll get the audio of her Rock a Little tour on the RAL reissue. I just hope we get extra songs as well, and not just the ones that were on the Showtime special.

Macfan4life 05-16-2021 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1267051)
We got the audio of the White Winged Dove tour from HBO on the Bella Donna reissue, so I expect we’ll get the audio of her Rock a Little tour on the RAL reissue. I just hope we get extra songs as well, and not just the ones that were on the Showtime special.

I wouldn't be so sure. Bella Donna's concert was flawless and something to be proud of. The Wild Heart reissue had no live CD. RAL concerts were not at her best so I would be surprised if there was a live CD. But who knows.

BigAl84 05-17-2021 12:50 PM

Not to get off topic...this is probably an unpopular opinion about the BD HBO concert, her solo material shines on that show but the production choices for every single Fleetwood Mac song including Dreams just makes me cringe. Terrible.

Macfan4life 05-17-2021 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1267060)
Not to get off topic...this is probably an unpopular opinion about the BD HBO concert, her solo material shines on that show but the production choices for every single Fleetwood Mac song including Dreams just makes me cringe. Terrible.

I would agree with you in part. I dislike Sara and that keyboard opening. It used to be nails down a chalk board for me. Dreams was not my favorite. But loved Rhiannon. It was not on HBO but her band rocked Angel.
I may be in the minority but her 1981/1983 Gold Dust Woman is better than most Mac performances in the later years. Benmont and Waddy turned it into a much darker and bigger rocker and I loved it. But after those tours, the Mac version is better.

David 05-17-2021 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1267050)
Does anyone remember the Westwood 1 radio concert during RAL. It was her live RAL concert with interviews.

I remember a Westwood One broadcast from Weedsport NY 6.20.86:
  • Outside the Rain
  • Dreams
  • Talk to Me
  • I Need to Know
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Leather and Lace
  • Stand Back
  • Stop Dragging the Ol’ Heart Around
  • How Still My Love
  • Edge of Seventeen
  • Rhiannon

It feels unlikely to me that a reissue would include an old Westwood One radio show. I think those things were put out quickly, without much fuss or care (such as balancing everything properly or patching in). The radio simulcasts had no status, no high profile, and source reel-to-reels have probably all been lost. There probably isn’t a Westwood One anymore, or its licensing model from the old days has changed. There was a tour special in 1983, too, but it used three new performances from Oakland 10.02.83 and combined them with the Fox Wilshire recording from 1981.

Fleetwood Mac obviously recorded a lot of concerts in the old days — more than we thought until they released these deluxe packages — but I don’t know whether Stevie Nicks performances were taped that widely by her organization. I would kill to get hold of digital transfers from source tapes of any of the following:
  • Houston (opening night in 1981)
  • Irvine Meadows (Sept 1983)
  • Forum (Oct 1983)
  • Oakland Coliseum (Oct 1983)
  • Tulsa (Nov 1983)
  • Los Angeles (Sept 1985 w/Tom Petty)
  • Jones Beach (June 1986)
  • Forum (July 1986)
  • Madison Square Garden (Aug 1986)
  • Guest spots with Tom Petty from 1981–83

If anyone needs a great idea for a deluxe release, I suggest a Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks package of stage performances from 1981 on, with audio, photos, David Wild liner notes, and so on. The Heartbreakers toured for Hard Promises and did a good number of summer, fall, and winter shows with Stephanie. The public is still quite turned on by the idea of Petty + Nicks — when the awards show puts a photo of the two of them up, the audience OOHs and AAHs, and dozens of articles are printed on the two of them every year. The idea of Stevie and Tom as a musical pair is still sexy to people (actually a lot sexier than the idea of Stevie and Lindsey).

Macfan4life 05-17-2021 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1267062)
I remember a Westwood One broadcast from Weedsport NY 6.20.86:
  • Outside the Rain
  • Dreams
  • Talk to Me
  • I Need to Know
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Leather and Lace
  • Stand Back
  • Stop Dragging the Ol’ Heart Around
  • How Still My Love
  • Edge of Seventeen
  • Rhiannon

It feels unlikely to me that a reissue would include an old Westwood One radio show. I think those things were put out quickly, without much fuss or care (such as balancing everything properly or patching in). The radio simulcasts had no status, no high profile, and source reel-to-reels have probably all been lost. There probably isn’t a Westwood One anymore, or its licensing model from the old days has changed. There was a tour special in 1983, too, but it used three new performances from Oakland 10.02.83 and combined them with the Fox Wilshire recording from 1981.

Fleetwood Mac obviously recorded a lot of concerts in the old days — more than we thought until they released these deluxe packages — but I don’t know whether Stevie Nicks performances were taped that widely by her organization. I would kill to get hold of digital transfers from source tapes of any of the following:
  • Forum (Oct 1983)
  • Tulsa (Nov 1983)
  • Forum (July 1986)

If anyone needs a great idea for a deluxe release, I suggest a Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks package of stage performances from 1981 on, with audio, photos, David Wild liner notes, and so on. The Heartbreakers toured for Hard Promises and did a good number of summer, fall, and winter shows with Stephanie. The public is still quite turned on by the idea of Petty + Nicks — when the awards show puts a photo of the two of them up, the audience OOHs and AAHs, and dozens of articles are printed on the two of them every year. The idea of Stevie and Tom as a musical pair is still sexy to people (actually a lot sexier than the idea of Stevie and Lindsey).

There was that Largo, MD 1983 Wild Heart show that was professionally recorded. Stevie was high as a kite so IMHO thats why it was not professionally released. I also think the Elaine part was planned and staged perfectly for this recorded show. Stevie supposedly axed her first Stand Back video because she did not like the way she looked. Wild Heart shows were the first time she no longer could hide her addiction on stage. VHS video concerts sold like hot cakes in the mid 80s. No way after several very popular MTV videos did her group not plan to release the Largo concerts. But it was never released and you can see why.

But yes to your point, all those shows would be incredible high or not. I saw a horrendous Wild Heart show in Pittsburgh but I would kill to see the video of it if it existed ;)

BombaySapphire3 05-17-2021 07:35 PM

[QUOTE David

• Forum (Oct 1983)
  • Tulsa (Nov 1983)
  • Forum (July 1986)
.[/QUOTE]

I was at two of these. How about Costa Mesa 1986 where she threatens to cast a spell on a roadie and then says" Lindsey would kill me if he heard me say that" Too bad he didn't hear it.:laugh:

David 05-17-2021 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1267067)
There was that Largo, MD 1983 Wild Heart show that was professionally recorded. Stevie was high as a kite so IMHO thats why it was not professionally released.

I always figured that footage was intended for marketing. MTV used a snip of “If Anyone Falls” for a mini Stevie Nicks profile in 1984–85. But who knows? I remember seeing a small snippet of “Outside the Rain” from the September 25, 1983, gig at Compton Terrace, a City of Hope benefit with Loggins and Walsh, in an MTV Nicks profile. Some of these performances were filmed to provide clips in news reels and such. (Invariably the wrong performances were filmed for marketing, never the extraordinary ones.)

Quote:

But yes to your point, all those shows would be incredible high or not. I saw a horrendous Wild Heart show in Pittsburgh but I would kill to see the video of it if it existed ;)
A bad Wild Heart show would always be worth seeing on film. But if I had to choose the bad performances or the great ones, give me the great ones. Give me the Forum, Irvine Meadows, and such, where Stevie reinvented boutou and mask drama from the theater traditions of the Ming and late imperial China. Sleeve movements, shadow play, and Xiansheng round out Stevie’s artistic traditions during the final few months of the 1983 tour.

David 05-17-2021 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1267080)
I was at two of these. How about Costa Mesa 1986 where she threatens to cast a spell on a roadie and then says" Lindsey would kill me if he heard me say that" Too bad he didn't hear it.:laugh:

I went to that show, too! I’ll be damn. You reminded me that her mic stand was screwy during the “Rhiannon” vamp, and the stage hand had to run out there and try to fix it on the fly while she was holding the mic. It was taking awhile so she ad libbed a little “I Put a Spell on You” to tease this poor guy, while he’s frantically trying to fix the stand in front of 14,000 miasmatic chiffonheads at the Orange County Fairgrounds. The night had its charm, needless to say.

michelej1 05-17-2021 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1267045)
OSOTM was awful. $he lost me forever with that turd.

But you loved the album cover at least, didn’t you?

HomerMcvie 05-18-2021 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1267087)
But you loved the album cover at least, didn’t you?

The cover was okay. But....

Bella Donna was PERFECTION. A classic album for the rest of my life.

Wild Heart was very good. But I probably haven't played it for 4-5 years, now.

RAL was okay. Catchy enough, but sliding downhill a bit.

OSOTM.....I TRIED. I really did. I just never got hooked on anything on it. It's bland and lifeless. $he'd lost it.

David 05-18-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1267088)
The cover was okay. But....

The cover is stupid! The only cool thing on the cover is the checkered floor. Michele was just kidding.

Quote:

OSOTM.....I TRIED. I really did. I just never got hooked on anything on it. It's bland and lifeless. $he'd lost it.
“Long Way to Go” is the track I enjoy the most on that one. But then “Fall from Grace” came along and wiped the other one from my memory.

Macfan4life 05-18-2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1267105)
The cover is stupid! The only cool thing on the cover is the checkered floor. Michele was just kidding.

“Long Way to Go” is the track I enjoy the most on that one. But then “Fall from Grace” came along and wiped the other one from my memory.

LOL I know, I was surprised by Homer's response too. I picked up the sarcassm.

Btw, if I had one wish of a Wild Heart show video that surfaced, it would be the Rhode Island show where the crowd is so freaking out of control at this outdoor concert. The audio is on youtube and Stevie keeps trying to calm people down and says she never saw an audience like this. This is the show where supposedly the crowd was throwing pineapple at her and she got pissed and started throwing it back.

vivfox 05-19-2021 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1267110)
LOL I know, I was surprised by Homer's response too. I picked up the sarcassm.

Btw, if I had one wish of a Wild Heart show video that surfaced, it would be the Rhode Island show where the crowd is so freaking out of control at this outdoor concert. The audio is on youtube and Stevie keeps trying to calm people down and says she never saw an audience like this. This is the show where supposedly the crowd was throwing pineapple at her and she got pissed and started throwing it back.

I'm the one who told this story. One more time for clarification. A good friend of mine went to this show and stood near the front. She said a drunk guy was sexually harassing Stevie throughout the show and finally at one point during the concert she grabbed a pineapple stage prop and threw it at him.:laugh:

dougl 05-19-2021 08:24 AM

I was at this concert very close to the stage (after having waited for hours as it was a general admission show). Stevie threw the pineapple at one of the security guards who was becoming too aggressive with the crowd. She screamed at him that it was (paraphrasing) ‘ her crowd that came to see her and to ****ing lay-off’ and then she let the fruit fly. She then returned to Rhiannon. Crazy concert and atmosphere with the backdrop of the full moon rising over the bay behind Stevie.

Macfan4life 05-19-2021 10:55 AM

So no one threw pineapple at Stevie? I swear I heard that before. The audio of the show is on youtube but unfortunately cuts out after Edge and we dont hear the pineapple saga part. However, you can routinely hear Stevie comment about the audience and the rowdy people screaming. Stevie sounds alarmed though.

David 05-19-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1267145)
So no one threw pineapple at Stevie? I swear I heard that before. The audio of the show is on youtube but unfortunately cuts out after Edge and we dont hear the pineapple saga part. However, you can routinely hear Stevie comment about the audience and the rowdy people screaming. Stevie sounds alarmed though.

It’s been years since I’ve listened to it, but here’s Rhiannon from the Bristol gig. Mid-September is about the time Stevie started getting good.

Rhiannon Introduction

Rhiannon

Jondalar 05-20-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1267045)
RAL was tolerable. OSOTM was awful. $he lost me forever with that turd.

I agree with you. She lost her way on RAL. You can actually hear her disintegrate on the overproduced, drug fueled record. I thought after RAL, she would surely find her back but then we got TOSOTM - pure CRINGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I threw my CD out of a speeding car. I thought it was garbage and I never thought of her the same way again. Anyone who would release record like that is not a real talent. Cry Wolf and I Still Miss Someone are two of the worst remakes of all time.

Jondalar 05-20-2021 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by On Ice (Post 1266972)
Just saw an instagram post from Rhino about a not one, but two album deal for reissues of RAL and TOSOTM! While RAL is certainly not my favourite, there are so many great songs from the period that were scrapped which would be awesome to hear cleaned up versions. Running Through the Garden and You Like Me come to mind. Same with TOSOTM, what lurks in the outtakes that we've never heard before? I think of the Wild Heart with the unknown Sorcerer outtake, which was not only wonderful but a welcomed surprise. Same potential exists for these two albums. I can't wait, I can't wait.

I can't find this instagram post anywhere. You sure you saw it or is this wishful thinking?

The Chain 05-21-2021 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1267195)
I can't find this instagram post anywhere. You sure you saw it or is this wishful thinking?

I believe it was actually on Rhino’s Twitter, not Insta.

sorcerer999 06-10-2021 12:54 AM

Nope.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but I just spoke will Bill Inglot from Rhino today. I brought up these reissues again (like I did back in January 2020) and he said no, there isn't any headway and she hasn't approved anything or given them the "go ahead" to produce any expanded or deluxe editions of RAL or TOSOTM.

Actually his exact words last year were "We tried to get these produced but she isn't interested." And today it was "Afraid not. No approvals from her on any future projects at the moment."

I usually run into him once a year. I'll ask again in 2022. LOL :laugh:

Jondalar 06-10-2021 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorcerer999 (Post 1267670)
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but I just spoke will Bill Inglot from Rhino today. I brought up these reissues again (like I did back in January 2020) and he said no, there isn't any headway and she hasn't approved anything or given them the "go ahead" to produce any expanded or deluxe editions of RAL or TOSOTM.

Actually his exact words last year were "We tried to get these produced but she isn't interested." And today it was "Afraid not. No approvals from her on any future projects at the moment."

I knew this was untrue. Thanks.

bwboy 06-10-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorcerer999 (Post 1267670)

Then I wonder why the cryptic post about Rock a Little in the first place from Rhino? I could understand if it had been about the Other Side of the Mirror, since the anniversary of it’s release was in May, but RAL? That album was released in November, I think. It just seems odd. The quarantine would have been a great opportunity for Stevie to write some liner notes and pick songs she would have liked to see included on a reissue.

On the other hand, she hasn’t performed songs from either of those albums live in years, so she clearly doesn’t care for them. Still, seems like a wasted opportunity.

BigAl84 06-10-2021 11:56 AM

With the 80's throwback persisting as a trend these days, it's kind of a missed opportunity for a RAL re-issue. If there were any point in time that would be a good fit to revisit 80's Stevie, it would be now.

I really think at this point Stevie wants to sweep the majority of her 86-94 material under the rug. She probably views it as a blemish on the legacy she's been vehemently working to re-write and sterilize over the past 10+ years.

Straightback 06-10-2021 06:32 PM

This woman is beyond maddening! Never have I witnessed someone be such a hinderance to their own career. She won't give us a new Fleetwood Mac record. She has steadfastly been a roadblock in allowing a proper BuckinghamNicks release happen. She's forever b------- that albums don't sell, but her fans have been clamoring for a reissue of Rock A Little and now refuses to give them that (not to mention OTOSOTM). My fandom for her has really diminished more and more in recent years.

UnwindedDreams 06-10-2021 06:54 PM

^And she said throughout 24 Karat Tour after she sang Moonlight "I don't care if anybody buys it, I'm going to continue to make music"

BombaySapphire3 06-10-2021 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1267685)
^And she said throughout 24 Karat Tour after she sang Moonlight "I don't care if anybody buys it, I'm going to continue to make music"

If Show Them The Way is any indication any "new" music best remains unheard.