The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   WW or OO? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59367)

Villavic 10-02-2021 11:45 AM

WW or OO?

Not including my fave songs among her popular hits, these are my 2 favorite Christine songs. Between those 2, which one do you like the most?

Macfan4life 10-02-2021 11:49 AM

I hate when people split hairs on this board and try and have it both ways but this puts me in their camp ;)

Warm Ways - album version
Over and Over - live version

Sorry :(

TrueFaith77 10-02-2021 01:33 PM

Over & Over is Christine’s best song

BLY 10-02-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1270050)
I hate when people split hairs on this board and try and have it both ways but this puts me in their camp ;)

Warm Ways - album version
Over and Over - live version

Sorry :(

I agree! Yep!

vivfox 10-02-2021 03:49 PM

I always play Warm Ways first whenever I listen to the White album. I was never a big fan of O&O. I don't hate it but I usually skip it. Not that you asked but the only song I dislike on Tusk is Never Make Me Cry.

HomerMcvie 10-02-2021 03:55 PM

Over and Over. Hands down, no contest.

Warm Ways sounds very dated.

Macfan4life 10-02-2021 05:16 PM

Warm Ways is very........how should I say.......warm ;)

It actually was the first single released from the White Album in the UK. I love Lindsey's acoustic guitar and Chris's dreamy organ. Its probably one of Chris's most romantic songs and that says a lot since most of her songs are romantic.

I dont hate Over and Over but the studio track is just meh IMHO. Live on stage its a beast. Oddly enough, the live version has the passion that the studio track lacks. The coldness of TUSK sort of ruined the song IMHO. However most people here make this "coldness" claim about Say You Will so I am giving it right back to you ;)

HomerMcvie 10-02-2021 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1270056)
Warm Ways is very........how should I say.......warm ;)

It actually was the first single released from the White Album in the UK. I love Lindsey's acoustic guitar and Chris's dreamy organ. Its probably one of Chris's most romantic songs and that says a lot since most of her songs are romantic.

I dont hate Over and Over but the studio track is just meh IMHO. Live on stage its a beast. Oddly enough, the live version has the passion that the studio track lacks. The coldness of TUSK sort of ruined the song IMHO. However most people here make this "coldness" claim about Say You Will so I am giving it right back to you ;)

Don't be hating on the Over and Overs, Karen! :wavey:

BLY 10-02-2021 07:40 PM

Listen to both tracks on 5.1 surround sound. It will be a tie….Buckingham magic.

DownOnRodeo 10-03-2021 12:28 AM

Don't let me down

Over & Over has long been one of my top FM tracks.
Certainly down tempo and deceptively simple, but the music and vocals are rich, crisp and lush, with that killer structure at the end (ramped up in the Live version but still magical in the studio version).
What can I do to keep you aroun-oun-ound....oooh... over and over...

Sublime and hypnotic, like Sara.
And one of Christine's most honed lyrics.

Whereas the pretty and delicate Warm Ways lulls me into a deep slumber, Over & Over starts by mesmerizing me with its plodding plaintiveness before launching me toward a desperate and furious crescendo.

Macfan4life 10-03-2021 09:57 AM

The musical track of Warm Ways is much better than Over and Over (studio). Mick's soft drumming, Chris's organ, John's thumping and Lindsey's dreamy guitar make it sound like it could have appeared on Bare Trees, Mystery To Me, or Heroes. Its vintage Fleetwood Mac sounding like Sugar Daddy and Over My Head on the White Album. The music track to Over and Over is good but fairly basic and you dont get that dreamy Fleetwood Mac sound. Even the Beatles used to call one of their mystical sounding songs their "Fleetwood Mac song."
Its this sound that attracts me to the song. Its a little dramatic with the lyrics that probably only Christine can pull off ...."You made me a woman tonight" OMG John must have been some lover when the bottles weren't flying across the room :eek:

The harmonies on Warm Ways are some of the Mac's best. Best of the White Album for sure. Too many reasons to count why Warm Ways is better than Over and Over (studio vs studio). Sorry Homer. That moderator that banned you for correcting the spelling of Lindsey's name is starting to appeal to me :lol: :lol:
;)

vivfox 10-03-2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1270058)
Listen to both tracks on 5.1 surround sound.

Yeah like we all have a 5.1 system available??:]

vivfox 10-03-2021 10:17 AM

A few years ago with the White album new release we got a new remix of Warm Ways. Mick's drumming is enhanced here and at first I was taken aback because it transformed my soft lullaby song into a soft rock song but after a few listens I ended up really liking it.

BLY 10-03-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1270061)
Yeah like we all have a 5.1 system available??:]

Sorry…I meant for the folks that do. I wish those 5.1 versions were standard.

aleuzzi 10-03-2021 11:30 PM

It’s hard to say which is better. For me, they both occupy the same level of quality and are both sung very well. I suppose “Over and Over” has a slightly catchier chorus and a wonderful outro. But “Warm Ways” has more interesting chords and a more coherent lyric. It’s also (I think) the only McVie song from 1975-88 that is written in B-flat. By her own admission, McVie avoids “black note” key signatures for technical reasons.

“Warm Ways” seems like a cross between “Prove Your Love” and “Show Me a Smile.” It’s at once simple and sophisticated, sexy yet homely. “Over and Over” walks a similar line and manages to be both evocative and plainspoken.