The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Present Band (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Thoughts on the 2018/19 Tour? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58787)

Hawkeye 07-04-2020 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1258679)
I always figured we would get around to Angel. We had “Beautiful Child.” We had Storms. I always felt that Angel was just a tour away. Now we’ve run out of time.

The Angel lyrics are every bit as iconic as the Dreams or Rhiannon lyrics,

They definitely got reused a lot more then lyrics from Dreams or Rhiannon

David 07-05-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye (Post 1258706)
They definitely got reused a lot more then lyrics from Dreams or Rhiannon

Although don't forget that Stevie titled one of her numerous collections "Crystal Visions."

Stevie is very much a leitmotif kinda gal. She endlessly reuses stray phrases of hers that, I suppose, she thinks are deep, rich poetic tropes. She plunders her work like a South African diamond mine.

UnwindedDreams 07-05-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1258717)
Although don't forget that Stevie titled one of her numerous collections "Crystal Visions."

The "Stand Back" compilation that was released when she was inducted in to Hall... I think she had nothing to do with that. If she did, I think for sure Touched by an Angel & Moonlight would've been on it, which I think she said are her favorite songs.

Mr Scarrott 07-06-2020 08:00 AM

I'm glad I didn't go to see them at Wembley...if they had played a smaller venue here in the UK and the really deep cuts (Hypnotised, Tell me all the things you do and All Over Again spring to mind) had survived in the set by then, and Man of the World had made its entry by then I might just have been regretting not going, but with the general shallowness of the Stevie-centric audiences, that was not going to happen. Kudos to the band for at least having the cojones to try wheeling them out to a crowd, 95% of which would be going "wtf?".

On the plus side, it's still the Mac. I kind of liked some of the different guitar licks that Mike Campbell brought to some of the familiar tunes. Neil Finn's voice occasionally sounded quite Lindsey-esque but he's too much of a talent to be a surrogate for him. I would have physically choked on irony were I at a gig where he sang "Someone has taken my place". Mick and John are still great together, but Christine sometimes struggled. A couple of new songs (an album would still be interesting to hear but I'm not holding my breath) would have cemented the new line-up a little in my mind.

I suppose rows and splits form this band's DNA, but it all feels like an unsatisfactory end, if that is indeed where we are now at. There's very little time left to keep going forwards but looking back. Personally, at least I have the memories of the 2015 tour, and the lineup that I waited 28 years to see since becoming a fan..

secondhandchain 07-06-2020 03:01 PM

A sad cash grab, fake band, horrible way to end a career. They are getting WAY too long in the tooth to keep this up. Christine sounds AWFUL now and anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial.

HomerMcvie 07-06-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondhandchain (Post 1258722)
A sad cash grab, fake band, horrible way to end a career. They are getting WAY too long in the tooth to keep this up. Christine sounds AWFUL now and anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial.

They really need to hang it up. NONE of them have any kind of voice left. The backup singers are singing all the choruses, which is pathetic.
Lindsey's gone.
Voices are gone.
Their youth, err, middle age, is gone. Four doddering old fools, clinging to fame like their last breath depended on it.
What a sad ending...

mitzo 07-06-2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1258726)
They really need to hang it up. NONE of them have any kind of voice left. The backup singers are singing all the choruses, which is pathetic.
Lindsey's gone.
Voices are gone.
Their youth, err, middle age, is gone. Four doddering old fools, clinging to fame like their last breath depended on it.
What a sad ending...

And Lindsey too, who cannot sing and relies on prerecorded tracks.

HomerMcvie 07-06-2020 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1258728)
And Lindsey too, who cannot sing and relies on prerecorded tracks.

Before you get all defensive, I wasn't excluding him from my statement. NONE of them have any voice left.

Lindsey should pair up with an amazing young singer/player, and let them do most of the singing. An amazing guitar player still needs to shine.

What old $tevie got? Wobbling around on stage, shaking some tambourine that has the jingles taped down?:lol::lol::lol:
I've got video of her ATTEMPTING to sing EO17 on New Year's Eve, when Keith Urban started "the riff", and $he shook her head no. It's AWFUL.

What Christine got? Can barely even hold organ chords any more, and has no voice left.

Mick, John and Lindsey's guitar playing are the only gifts they have left.

UnwindedDreams 07-07-2020 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1258728)
And Lindsey too, who cannot sing and relies on prerecorded tracks.

Is Lindsey "not singing" in this video at the age of 69?
https://youtu.be/dTCG0EMx2oc

When you say he can't sing and "relies" you sound like he has no talent. Why did Fleetwood Mac do three of his songs during their 2018-2019 Tour? I went to three shows and LB's songs didn't sound better with Mike, Neil, and Ricky playing them.

mitzo 07-07-2020 10:25 PM

They all have talent. None of them can sing anymore. They have all contributed to FM. Chris and Stevie are (were) gifted songwriters and singers who balanced each other's strengths and weaknesses. Lindsey is a remarkable studio wizard and guitarist.

UnwindedDreams 07-08-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1258739)
They'll have talent. None of them can sing anymore. They have all contributed to FM.

If the contraction you used means "they all", I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I always thought "they'll" meant they will or they shall.

michelej1 07-08-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1258717)
Although don't forget that Stevie titled one of her numerous collections "Crystal Visions."

Stevie is very much a leitmotif kinda gal. She endlessly reuses stray phrases of hers that, I suppose, she thinks are deep, rich poetic tropes. She plunders her work like a South African diamond mine.

For me, when artists re-use their old words it adds a layer of meaning to the song. I think this is especially true when they use an old phrase but change something. When “It was I” becomes “It was you” it serves as a reflection (real or imagined) of Lindsey’s personal evolution.

Falling down, getting up mean more because both Loving Cup and Family Man exist.

And re-use helps me imagine that those perennial winners and losers, Stevie and Lindsey speak to each other in their songs,

When Stevie performs Edge live and throws lyrics from How Still My Love into the ending, I get excited. For me, it links the two songs in message and tells me more about the relationship in both.

Of course the lyric borrowing should be done in moderation.

FuzzyPlum 07-08-2020 11:45 AM

Talking of age...

Off topic but sort of related...
Ringo Starr looks bl**dy amazing for 80.
Going strong and likely to tour again soon with the All Starr Band.


https://static.billboard.com/files/m...48-768x433.jpg


I'd take that at 80.

HomerMcvie 07-08-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1258751)
Talking of age...

Off topic but sort of related...
Ringo Starr looks bl**dy amazing for 80.
Going strong and likely to tour again soon with the All Starr Band.


https://static.billboard.com/files/m...48-768x433.jpg


I'd take that at 80.

Looks like he's keeping Just For Men's stock high!:lol::lol::lol:

jbrownsjr 07-08-2020 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1258748)
For me, when artists re-use their old words it adds a layer of meaning to the song. I think this is especially true when they use an old phrase but change something. When “It was I” becomes “It was you” it serves as a reflection (real or imagined) of Lindsey’s personal evolution.

Falling down, getting up mean more because both Loving Cup and Family Man exist.

And re-use helps me imagine that those perennial winners and losers, Stevie and Lindsey speak to each other in their songs,

When Stevie performs Edge live and throws lyrics from How Still My Love into the ending, I get excited. For me, it links the two songs in message and tells me more about the relationship in both.

Of course the lyric borrowing should be done in moderation.


I agree. I love when motifs and/or lyrics come back as an ODE to another song. Whether it's growth, or just fun.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved