The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Different Versions of Songs That Are Better (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=53965)

welcomechris 07-27-2014 01:54 PM

Different Versions of Songs That Are Better

Different Versions of Songs That Are Better (I had one in the SN thread so I thought i'd make one for FM)

Believe Me (Live 1977)

Smile at You (Angry)

You Make Loving Fun (Extended Outtake)

Add more people!

HoursAndHours 07-27-2014 02:05 PM

I think I will always prefer the piano demo "No Light" version of Planets of the Universe, followed by the version from the Rumours expansion - both over the version on TISL. Partly because I heard it first, but moreso because to me, it says more, and says it better, in less words. I feel like it's better poetry in it's raw form, I guess.

BLY 07-27-2014 04:55 PM

I really like Oh Daddy from the Rumours Expanded cd with Stevie 's voice much more prominent.

PenguinHead 07-27-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1135571)
I really like Oh Daddy from the Rumours Expanded cd with Stevie 's voice much more prominent.

I like that version too. Wonder why they didn't choose that one for the album; Stevie's harmonies really add a nice dynamic to the song. For a brief time, early on she did sing the harmony when they performed it in concert.

WatchChain 07-27-2014 11:29 PM

Quote:

That is an AMAZING version of "Oh Daddy". I love it when Christine and Stevie harmonize together and I wish the mix of "Oh Daddy" that made the Rumours album included more prominent harmonizing from Stevie.

In addition, I prefer the version of "You Make Loving Fun" on the expanded Rumours that features a clearer version of Stevie singing harmony on the chorus, much like she did in the live versions from 1977-1979. By 1982, in concert it seemed that Stevie was no longer singing harmony on the chorus of "You Make Loving Fun", only at the end of the song. I would very much like for Stevie to go back to harmonizing on the chorus of this song for the upcoming tour.

sanders8323 07-29-2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1135595)
By 1982, in concert it seemed that Stevie was no longer singing harmony on the chorus of "You Make Loving Fun", only at the end of the song. I would very much like for Stevie to go back to harmonizing on the chorus of this song for the upcoming tour.

I think the reason for this is by 1982, Stevie had lost a bit of her upper range, so it wouldn't have been as pleasant to hear her harmonize on that part.

But several times, not just on "Oh Daddy" and "You Make Loving Fun", it seems that Stevie's background vocals were either brought lower into the mix or removed altogether. Many of Lindsey's songs on the Tusk album could've benefited from Stevie's harmonizing, as well as from Christine's.

But back on the subject of this thread now, I quite like the extended version of "Silver Springs" on the re-release of Rumours, as well as the single versions of "Rhiannon" and "Say You Love Me." The extended version of "Gypsy" on The Chain box set is better than the LP version, and so is the extended version of Love in Store. The single mix of "Say You Will" is also better than the album version. Speaking of that album, the version of "Peacekeeper" that Lindsey did solo trumps the version on the LP. The original version of "Gold Dust Woman" is better than the alternate mix that was put out on the original CD version of Rumours. I remember some members here commenting that they couldn't hear the glass breaking sound effect, and I believe this is because that is missing from the original version but is present on the alternate. Thankfully, the original was brought back when the album was re-released in the expanded version. Stevie's wailing and the guitars are more prominent. There's also the fade in when the song starts and an earlier fade out.

WatchChain 07-29-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanders8323 (Post 1135758)
Many of Lindsey's songs on the Tusk album could've benefited from Stevie's harmonizing, as well as from Christine's.

You've made a great point there. I would have loved to hear Stevie add background vocals on "I Know I'm Not Wrong" and "That's Enough For Me", it seems that those are those songs recorded alone by Lindsey in his bathroom. :laugh:

sanders8323 07-29-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1135759)
You've made a great point there. I would have loved to hear Stevie add background vocals on "I Know I'm Not Wrong" and "That's Enough For Me", it seems that those are those songs recorded alone by Lindsey in his bathroom. :laugh:

Stevie sounds like she actually may be present on one of the verses in IKINW, but that could just be Lindsey altering the pitch of his vocal to sound like her.

jcalzaretta 07-29-2014 11:42 AM

I totally agree with the comments on Oh Daddy from the outtake CD. Stevie's harmonies are there are awesome. I will tell what I did not like. The versions of Over My Head and Sisters of the Moon on the VBOFM. The opening of OMH and the end of Sisters are hideous.

shackin'up 07-29-2014 12:48 PM

I still wholeheartedly disagree with the overall idea of the Smile At You demo being better than the SYW version. I think the endproduct is beautiful, spiritual, and mesmerizing. Even John's bass ONLY blows that crappy demo out of here.

goldustsongbird 07-29-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

I like that one! Oh Daddy is a usual skip for me, only because it's awkward to sing along to, but I do love Stevie's backup.

He's So Unusual 07-29-2014 01:31 PM

I prefer the single version of Rhiannon to the album version. I love how Stevie singing the line "Dreams unwind, love's a state of mind" is heard more before the song fades out.

Do remixes count? If so, I prefer the extended version of Big Love. I love the little pattern of notes at 4:16 (not sure if that's the best way to describe it, ha ha).

goldustsongbird 07-29-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by He's So Unusual (Post 1135846)
I prefer the single version of Rhiannon to the album version. I love how Stevie singing the line "Dreams unwind, love's a state of mind" is heard more before the song fades out.

Do remixes count? If so, I prefer the extended version of Big Love. I love the little pattern of notes at 4:16 (not sure if that's the best way to describe it, ha ha).

YES, and I wish the radio would play the single more these days. It's rare on the radio as it is, and when they do play it, it's not the one where you can hear the closing lines.

bombaysaffires 07-29-2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldustsongbird (Post 1135882)
YES, and I wish the radio would play the single more these days. It's rare on the radio as it is, and when they do play it, it's not the one where you can hear the closing lines.

really? I find that version too thin and watered down. (Mixed for AM radio)

ryan4136 07-29-2014 11:29 PM

I know I'm not wrong Vynl version for me.