The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Post-Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DISCUSSION: Bekka's songs from Time (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=45106)

MacShadowsBall 11-10-2010 07:13 PM

DISCUSSION: Bekka's songs from Time

Its time for Time. Everybody's favorite album...uh okay, maybe not. :shrug:

Songs up for discussion are...
1. Winds of Change
2. Nothing Without You
3. Dreamin' the Dream (co-write w/Billy)
4. Talkin' to My Heart (duet w/Billy)
5. I Got It in For You (duet w/Billy)

The last two are some of my favorite FM songs. I'm a sucker for duets. Billy and Bekka's voices go together perfectly.

holidayroad 11-10-2010 07:30 PM

Before I can comment, I think I'll listen to Time more carefully. I typically concentrate on Christine's songs when I listen to it.

TerraRhiannon 11-10-2010 07:32 PM

This album isn't even acknowledged as a Fleetwood Mac album in the booklet of their 'Very Best of Fleetwood Mac' album. Pretty sad when even the band won't even acknowledge it IMO. But maybe it isn't acknowledged because Stevie and Lindsey weren't involved. :shrug: Who knows, I just found that funny.

MacShadowsBall 11-10-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerraRhiannon (Post 920491)
This album isn't even acknowledged as a Fleetwood Mac album in the booklet of their 'Very Best of Fleetwood Mac' album. Pretty sad when even the band won't even acknowledge it IMO. But maybe it isn't acknowledged because Stevie and Lindsey weren't involved. :shrug: Who knows, I just found that funny.

Yeah there seems to this habit of the current FM incarnation and studio's to act like both Behind the Mask and Time didn't exist...for that matter they ignore the Bob Welch years. Frankly it ticks me off because there are some really good songs out of those albums/era's.

iamnotafraid 11-10-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall (Post 920482)
[SIZE="3"]Its time for Time. Everybody's favorite album...uh okay, maybe not. :shrug:

Songs up for discussion are...
1. Winds of Change

I don't consider it a Fleetwood Mac album but...

I really like Winds Of Change.

The only reason to buy that album.

I think Billy's cool too, just not Fleetwood Mac cool.
Just proving I don't hate the Fleetwood Mac Light Band.
Bekka didn't save the day with Winds Of Change, she just
saved the album from being a total throw away.

sjpdg 11-11-2010 11:39 PM

My order of preference:

Winds of Change
I Got It In For You
Talkin' To My Heart
Nothing Without You
Dreamin' The Dream

It's definitely not the greatest FM album by any stretch of the imagination, but shouldn't be completely forgotten. Christine's material and Bekka's, and Billy's contribution keep it from being a complete loss.

aleuzzi 11-12-2010 02:19 PM

The only one of these songs that doesn't work for me is Dreamin' the Dream.

The rest of them show both her and Billy off to really good effect. These songs, as a whole, are better than anything on Behind the Mask.

HomerMcvie 11-12-2010 03:12 PM

I've got to go with Winds of Change, although I love NWY, and IGIIFY.

WHY isn't this a FM? I flag bullsh*t! :( It's as much a FM album, as any album they're ever made. Rumours really killed FM....the band had always been about reinvention, but they're still nursing that 33yo drama! Boo! Hiss!

INDUCT BOB WELCH!!! INDUCT BOB WELCH!!! INDUCT BOB WELCH!!!

bucklind17 11-13-2010 12:04 AM

I LOVE "I Got It In For You". It's one of my favorite songs to listen to, great vocals from both. "Nothing Without You" is a great re-do of the original, with a great new energy. These are the two songs I listen to the most from this album.

iamnotafraid 11-13-2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 921014)
WHY isn't this a FM? I flag bullsh*t! :( It's as much a FM album, as any album they're ever made. Rumours really killed FM....the band had always been about reinvention, but they're still nursing that 33yo drama! Boo! Hiss!

INDUCT BOB WELCH!!! INDUCT BOB WELCH!!! INDUCT BOB WELCH!!!

Dude this section of the Ledge makes me laugh most.
But I think it's cool others like these light versions
of the Mac as well as the five and Peter Green's Mac.

Induct Bob Welch why? I also have a few of his solo albums
so I'm not trying to bash the guy. I just don't like some of
his music.

HomerMc, what are your top ten Welch songs (solo or Mac)?

Still Time stinks (back on subject).

MacShadowsBall 11-13-2010 07:33 PM

Winds of Change, Nothing Without You, and Dreaming the Dream - plan on counting as Bekka

Talkin' to My Heart and I Got It in for You - either Billy or collaboration

Agree, disagree, don't care....:eek:

holidayroad 11-13-2010 08:20 PM

Now that I have re-listened a few times, I think 'Winds Of Change' is the best Bekkah song and "Talkin' To My Heart' is the best collaboration.

holidayroad 11-13-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 921092)
Dude this section of the Ledge makes me laugh most.
But I think it's cool others like these light versions
of the Mac as well as the five and Peter Green's Mac.

Induct Bob Welch why? I also have a few of his solo albums
so I'm not trying to bash the guy. I just don't like some of
his music.

HomerMc, what are your top ten Welch songs (solo or Mac)?

Still Time stinks (back on subject).

I'm not saying that Bob Welch is the best musician ever, but he has quite a few good songs. Some I like are:
w/Fleetwood Mac

Future Games
Emerald Eyes
Hypnotized
Forever
Angel
Bermuda Triangle
Silver Heels

Solo

Sentimental Lady
Easy To Fall
Ebony Eyes
3 Hearts
Precious Love
Church
Don't Wait Too Long
Love Came 2X
Imaginary Fool
To My Heart Again
SOS
Don't Let Me Touch You

billwebster 11-15-2010 01:04 PM

First of all, I do not care much about the song "Dreamin' the Dream". I think it's a filler.
"Talkin' to My Heart" and "I Got It in For You" are first and foremost Billy songs for this listener. They surely are the beginning of the brilliant duo that Bekka & Billy are - and a great precursor to their duo album which is wonderful in its very own way.

That leaves only 2 songs that I have perceived as truly representing Bekka, which is not much. "Winds Of Change" was written by someone named Kit Hain whilst "Nothing Without You" is written by members of the Bramlett family. It looks like Bekka wasn't much of a songwriter yet during this period, but she surely is now.
These 2 songs are connected with me going to driving school and it's hard not to notice that "Nothing Without You" sounds better in a car than the other song. Therefore, this is the best Bekka tune on the album.

But there is one other song I'd like to mention: Joe Cocker did record a duet with the new singer of Fleetwood Mac, sort of as a vehicle to present her, in 1994 on his Have A Little Faith album. The song is called "Take Me Home". It's a great showcase of Bekka's vocal style.

Why doesn't she record a solo album with her own versions of all the songs she has written that other artists had country chart hits with? It's about time she releases a CD like that.