The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   MOVIES you watched this week? (DVD) (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39417)

iamnotafraid 01-11-2011 01:04 AM

The Runaways
Worth watching I guess,
but I was hoping for better.
Did Joan Jett really do that
to someone's guitar???

A Christmas Carol (Jim Carrey)
This was better than I expected. Amazing
sound and picture.

The Last Song
I considered not posting this because of
the risk of being ridiculed. But Miley Cyrus
did a decent enough acting job, tolerable
anyway, to make this worth watching. I
couldn't help thinking about the girl that
impersonates her on SNL. It's really cool y'all.

Silver Springs 01-11-2011 07:43 PM

Naked starring David Thewlis. I don't watch Movies very often anymore, so I like to at least make sure I watch my favourites and the most stimulating. Mike Leigh’s brilliant and controversial Naked stars David Thewlis as Johnny, a charming, eloquent, and relentlessly vicious drifter on the lam in London. Rejecting all those who would care for him, the volcanic Johnny hurls himself into a nocturnal odyssey through the city, colliding with a succession of the desperate and the dispossessed, and scorching everyone in his path. With a virtuoso script and raw performances from Thewlis and costars Katrin Cartlidge and Lesley Sharpe, Leigh’s panorama of England’s crumbling underbelly is a showcase of black comedy and doomsday prophecy.

iamnotafraid 01-13-2011 11:37 PM

Chloe
Chloe (Amanda Seyfried) tricked me.
I didn't see the twist coming. I'd like
to say more but...

Just watch the movie. It is rated R
for good reason kiddies.

baboles 01-13-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 934990)
Chloe
Chloe (Amanda Seyfried) tricked me.
I didn't see the twist coming. I'd like
to say more but...

Just watch the movie. It is rated R
for good reason kiddies.

I liked 'Chloe', but I predicted the twist before it happened. I also didn't care for the ending. Too abrupt IMO.

mezzoforte 01-15-2011 11:20 AM

My sister and I are now almost done with a Star Wars marathon, starting with episodes 4-6 and then going through the recent trilogy.
I hadn't seen Phantom Menace since it come out. As a 9-year-old, I remember finding Jar-Jar Binx hilarious, and being baffled at the complaints of adults. Now, each time he appears I am gripped by the urge to stick pins in my eyes and rip my ears out. And in episode two suddenly he's, like, a politician? He's a more terrifying official than George Bush. Every time he begins "Meesa think...", I despair for contemporary film.
As for the originals-- the patch job they did on the original trilogy (with the 2000 era CGI) looks ridiculous. Oh, and I burst into laughter every time anyone describes Luke as complicated, clever, or angry, because he is possibly the drippiest character in movie history. But Han and Leia? So freaking awesome. I've watched their first kiss on youtube probably ten times in the last day.
Han and Leia are awesome enough to salvage the originals, but there's nothing comparable in the prequels. If you're one of those lucky souls who missed them, no need to seek them out.

Side note: does anyone else think Carrie Fisher looks a lot like Stevie? I think there's a very strong resemblance, particularly in the eyes and face shape.

Artemis 01-15-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mezzoforte (Post 935528)
My sister and I are now almost done with a Star Wars marathon, starting with episodes 4-6 and then going through the recent trilogy.

Amg, I did that the other week. I've been going around quoting Star Wars all week, like a giant nerd. :laugh:

Episode II is on TV right now... so totally watching that.

iamnotafraid 01-18-2011 05:33 PM

Case 39
(Spoiler Alert)
The hardest scene to watch gives
it away. Lilith might not be what
she seems...

Iron Man 2
The movie was just s0-s0,
but the sound was awesome.
The bass shook my house.

HejiraNYC 01-18-2011 06:12 PM

Does anyone watch DVDs anymore? :shrug: I get everything online.

On Crackle TV I finally watched Ralph Bakshi's "American Pop." Just. amazing. The story and premise are a little hard to digest, but the visuals, animation and characterizations are nothing short of brilliant. They clearly used some kind of roto-scoping type of animation (hand-tracing filmed footage), but since it was done way before the days of computer animation, it's got a rough, organic feel. I just listened to a recent interview with Ralph Bakshi in which he laments the choice of song (Bob Seger's "Night Moves") used in the penultimate, climactic scene near the end. He said it was an awful song, but it was the only one he could afford to use at the last minute after his first choice suddenly asked for a huge payout.

While I was on my Ralph Bakshi kick, I decided to check out "Heavy Traffic" again, but this time it's on YouTube. What an utter mindf***. It is so dark and morbid, yet very funny and irreverential at the time same time. It took a lot of courage to have a movie like this made; you can literally get a contact high watching it. Love that psychedelicized version of "Scarborough Fair!"

iamnotafraid 01-19-2011 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HejiraNYC (Post 936607)

ME!

The Other Guys
I really should have known better.
HORRIBLE.

David 01-19-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HejiraNYC (Post 936607)

I do, but not so much as I used to. Still, I have a DVD from Netflix now, sitting here waiting for me: "The Anatomist" w/Alastair Sim

Hejira, Hejira, Hejira ...... what's your favorite movie.

Do you love "Cops" & "World's Wildest Police Chases" as much as I do?

Nikolaj 01-19-2011 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by HejiraNYC
Does anyone watch DVDs anymore? I get everything online.

You're the consumer that the studios and record companies prefer.
I like owning the physical copies, and don't like to watch movies online, or on my computer, period.
My purchasing of DVDs has slowed down, but I have hundreds, many boxed sets, so there's a lot I have yet to watch.
I'm a sucker for packaging- I like good booklets, the bonus lobby cards or what have you that come with some dvd sets, and wouldn't get the same satisfaction not owning it, from watching online. Though I do like youtube, for short clips.

HejiraNYC 01-19-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaj (Post 936882)
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC
Does anyone watch DVDs anymore? I get everything online.

You're the consumer that the studios and record companies prefer.
I like owning the physical copies, and don't like to watch movies online, or on my computer, period.
My purchasing of DVDs has slowed down, but I have hundreds, many boxed sets, so there's a lot I have yet to watch.
I'm a sucker for packaging- I like good booklets, the bonus lobby cards or what have you that come with some dvd sets, and wouldn't get the same satisfaction not owning it, from watching online. Though I do like youtube, for short clips.

I know you're being facetious, but it's legit- my TV has wifi internet connectivity, so I can stream HD movies directly on demand. Crackle, YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon... it's all there. I can envision a future where cable TV as we know it will cease to exist and we will pay a nominal sum/month to subscribe to our favorite channels over the internet. No more having to pay out the yin-yang for tiers of cable TV programming that I don't want or need. I seriously do not need all 374 of those retarded ESPN channels or Faux News. And the real beauty of broadcasting over the internet is that it is not subject to the heinous FCC or those looney right wing conservative soccer moms.

I can kinda appreciate owning physical media- I still prefer owning a CD vs. just downloading MP3. But movies are different because they don't have the replay value of music. Chances are, I will only watch a movie once, even if I really liked it. I mean, what's the point of watching something again if you already know how everything turns out? :shrug:

Nikolaj 01-21-2011 12:13 AM

HejiraNYC wrote: I know you're being facetious, but it's legit- my TV has wifi internet connectivity, so I can stream HD movies directly on demand. Crackle, YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon... it's all there. I can envision a future where cable TV as we know it will cease to exist and we will pay a nominal sum/month to subscribe to our favorite channels over the internet. No more having to pay out the yin-yang for tiers of cable TV programming that I don't want or need. I seriously do not need all 374 of those retarded ESPN channels or Faux News. And the real beauty of broadcasting over the internet is that it is not subject to the heinous FCC or those looney right wing conservative soccer moms.
Hejira, I wasn't being facetious to you at all, honest. I have never heard of wifi on a tv, I meant it to you as a compliment- you are the consumer the studios prefer- because you are technologically up to date, and on board with the now and the future.
I'm like the old-fashioned collector, wondering which film cell is inside of the Hepburn-Bogart film, so buying it, wanting to read the booklets and see the extras in the 'Forbidden Hollywood' pre-code film sets, and perhaps my worst example I shouldn't admit: buying the cheesy 60's complete series of 'I Dream of Jeannie' just because I liked the way the bottle packaging looked and wanted to see the box of cards inside of it. I'll do well to watch 10 episodes, let alone the 140 or however many there are.
I'm not a Liza Minnelli fan, but I liked the packaging of some '72 tv special she did, so bought it. Love the box- can't make it through the special. Fortunately, most of my taste isn't that lowbrow, but I like packaging. I'm not multi-connected with the laptop and tv.
I really like writers that I like, and you are one I like the very most.
So, I look forward to what you write, and though I am now unfortunately known for my snarky side, you are exempt. Hopefully, that one time, a long time ago, over a stupid tourbook, you don't hold against me. I feel tolerated by you :)
I see posts by Hejira, and by Viv, Luke, Mr. Stew, and gldstwmn, and it's like Christmas morning to me, it makes me happy.
I would not be facetious to you. You, especially, keep me reading here.

HomerMcvie 01-21-2011 12:18 AM

Last night, I was coerced into watching Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

Meh, it was okay, I guess. I can see why it tanked at the box office, though.

McTrouble 01-21-2011 09:58 AM

Last night I watched Mighty Joe Young (the remake with Bill Paxton and Charlize Theron) - just love that big ape!

I also watched the musical Show Boat as I adore Ava Gardner - they don't make film goddesses like her anymore.

Today I am working my way through the Vacation box set - love them for themselves but of course Holiday Road and Dancing Across the USA is the icing on the cake.

chelluversu 01-22-2011 11:52 AM

A Solitary Man This movie was great!!!!! I wanna know what he chooses. I'd like to think that he would turn his life around and go back to New York with his ex-wife, but GODDDD I know he wants to walk the other way with that 19 (possibly...) year old chick...and then get himself murked for ignoring that guy. I'd like to think the best.

Chicago I will always love this movie, and the Cell Block Tango ftw.

Nine Hmm...this movie was good but not great...Nicole Kidman is still my girl crush and Penelope... OMG. Kate Hudson...me like :3

Up next is An Education. I just downloaded it on On Demand. On Direct TV you have to download the movies :( I want my comcast back!!

Edit:

The Last Song Miley is not the best actress in the world, but the movie is likeable. I'm a sucker for people who play the piano.

CreepingDeath 01-22-2011 07:17 PM

Black Swan
The King's Speech

Both were very good. :nod:

mylittledemon 01-22-2011 07:20 PM

Harry Brown w/ Michael Caine... sort of Gran Torino-ish

Prince of Persia... total turdburger

The Expendables
... I wasn't impressed but it was a fun popcorn movie

Meowi 01-22-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreepingDeath (Post 937830)
Black Swan
The King's Speech

Both were very good. :nod:

I want to see them both.

McTrouble 01-23-2011 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meowi (Post 937849)
I want to see them both.

Yeah, me too - looking forward to seeing both.

mylittledemon 01-23-2011 05:53 AM

The 3 Musketeers - (1973 version)... forgot how good it was

estranged4life 02-06-2011 01:45 AM

I was recommended...

the 1979 movie "Being There" with Peter Sellers, in regards to how it projects how people see a person and that their perceptions can make them believe what they want themselves to believe when it may be the exact opposite.

A GREAT movie!!!!

jeffd8382 02-06-2011 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estranged4life (Post 940802)
the 1979 movie "Being There" with Peter Sellers, in regards to how it projects how people see a person and that their perceptions can make them believe what they want themselves to believe when it may be the exact opposite.

A GREAT movie!!!!

Ooh.. an excellent movie! I haven't seen that in forever.

Just watched "Big" starring Tom Hanks. I had never seen it but always heard it was a fun movie.. and it was!

mylittledemon 02-13-2011 06:19 PM

I just saw TRUE GRIT. What a moving picture, especially the ending. Go see it.

GypsySorcerer 03-10-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McTrouble (Post 937464)
Today I am working my way through the Vacation box set - love them for themselves but of course Holiday Road and Dancing Across the USA is the icing on the cake.

I popped in the first one the other day while I was cleaning the house. I love Imogene Coca.

Biutiful - I have mixed feelings about this, as it was a rather bleak and sad film. I think my main problem was the number of subplots. Javier Bardem was fantastic, though, and probably deserved the Oscar.

Nobody's Fool
- A great film for a quiet, cold day. Paul Newman is so effortless and charming on camera. :xoxo:

skcin 03-10-2011 02:40 PM

^ Won't Bardem be eligible for next year's Oscar's? Although, this performance may be forgotten about by then. :( I heard he was fantastic in this.

Rented Winter's Bone. Meth-head mayhem in Appalachia. What a f*cked up movie. I kept telling myself "it's just a movie, things like this don't actually happen." But then again, I fear... :shocked:

GypsySorcerer 03-10-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skcin (Post 949707)
^ Won't Bardem be eligible for next year's Oscar's? Although, this performance may be forgotten about by then. :( I heard he was fantastic in this.

Rented Winter's Bone. Meth-head mayhem in Appalachia. What a f*cked up movie. I kept telling myself "it's just a movie, things like this don't actually happen." But then again, I fear... :shocked:

He was nominated this year, so wouldn't be eligible next year. He is excellent in the film.

Winter's Bone.... I would like to say it's hyperbole, but..... :eek: John Hawkes was so good in this.

Christopher 03-10-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

So is this movie is worth renting? It's been on my short list 4 a couple of weeks. I almost rented it or I Am Love on demand last weekend, but alas settled on Love And Other Drugs.:cool: Other than some gratuitous & totally un-neccessary nudie shots from Jake & Anne, that movie was just ok...a little snoozy in the middle.

KarmaContestant 03-10-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Winter's Bone was great! I didn't expect to like it, but found myself quickly absorbed in the story.

Having lived in a slew of small Texas towns as a child, I think the depiction of 'hillbilly justice' was fairly accurate. :laugh:

My boyfriend says about halfway through the movie.. "Boo, I'm really glad we don't live there." Me too, babe - me too!

Christopher 03-10-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer (Post 949620)
I popped in the first one the other day while I was cleaning the house. I love Imogene Coca.

Biutiful - I have mixed feelings about this, as it was a rather bleak and sad film. I think my main problem was the number of subplots. Javier Bardem was fantastic, though, and probably deserved the Oscar.

Nobody's Fool- A great film for a quiet, cold day. Paul Newman is so effortless and charming on camera. :xoxo:

Loved Biutiful! It was one of the most brutally honest movie experiences I have seen in some time. WOW. It did throw me off and affected me for hours afterwards though. Gut wrenching movie.:nod: Great character study of humanity in the modern age.

skcin 03-10-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer (Post 949709)
He was nominated this year, so wouldn't be eligible next year. He is excellent in the film.

Winter's Bone.... I would like to say it's hyperbole, but..... :eek: John Hawkes was so good in this.

He was. Everyone was great - terrifyingly so. The chick who played the hooker in My Name is Earl was exceptionally scary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher (Post 949712)
So is this movie is worth renting? It's been on my short list 4 a couple of weeks. I almost rented it or I Am Love on demand last weekend, but alas settled on Love And Other Drugs.:cool: Other than some gratuitous & totally un-neccessary nudie shots from Jake & Anne, that movie was just ok...a little snoozy in the middle.

I think it is. :nod:

I have no desire to see Love & other Drugs. Seems to fluffy/pointless to me. Seems like you concur, so I won't bother. :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaContestant (Post 949721)
Winter's Bone was great! I didn't expect to like it, but found myself quickly absorbed in the story.

Having lived in a slew of small Texas towns as a child, I think the depiction of 'hillbilly justice' was fairly accurate. :laugh:

My boyfriend says about halfway through the movie.. "Boo, I'm really glad we don't live there." Me too, babe - me too!

I know, right? Made me thankful for my life, that's for sure.

McTrouble 03-11-2011 04:31 AM

Last night watched Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Working my way thru all my Potter DVDs before buying Deathly Hallows which I can't wait for :blob1:

Dodfather 03-11-2011 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 937926)
The 3 Musketeers - (1973 version)... forgot how good it was

Good choice Brandon! I also have a lot of love for the cheesefest that is the 1993 version!

I re-watched Dial M For Murder last night. An uderrated and often forgotten Hitchcock move. Brilliant! Grave Kelly was a terrible actress in everything but the 3 films she did with Hitchcock (3 out of only 11 movies) - they're all great.

McTrouble 03-12-2011 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodfather (Post 949950)
Good choice Brandon! I also have a lot of love for the cheesefest that is the 1993 version!

I re-watched Dial M For Murder last night. An uderrated and often forgotten Hitchcock move. Brilliant! Grave Kelly was a terrible actress in everything but the 3 films she did with Hitchcock (3 out of only 11 movies) - they're all great.

Was that an error or did you mean to call her "Grave" Kelly because a corpse could probably act better than her? :lol:

skcin 03-14-2011 01:52 PM

Date Night was on HBO the other day & we have 3 months free, so... :D It was funnier than I thought it would be.

estranged4life 03-21-2011 02:27 PM

Just finished watching...

"Until the Light Takes Us", a doctumentary about the Norwegian Black Metal scene, A very good doctumentary in my opinion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Until_The_Light_Takes_Us

CreepingDeath 03-21-2011 04:06 PM

I watched a few music DVDs yesterday

The Big Four- Metallica/Slayer/Megadeth/Anthrax: Live from Sofia, Bulgaria

Neon Nights: 30 Years of Heaven & Hell- Live at Wacken

Dio: Holy Diver Live

Carole King & James Taylor: Live at the Troubadour

Go buy all of them NOW.

skcin 03-22-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreepingDeath (Post 952662)
I watched a few music DVDs yesterday

The Big Four- Metallica/Slayer/Megadeth/Anthrax: Live from Sofia, Bulgaria

Go buy all of them NOW.

LOL. I almost bought this because it was shot in Bulgaria - my dad was born there & I still have lots of family. Beautiful country (although Sofia is not my favorite.)

GypsySorcerer 03-22-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreepingDeath (Post 952662)

Carole King & James Taylor: Live at the Troubadour

Go buy all of them NOW.

I got this for Christmas and I still haven't watch it. Maybe this weekend...

CreepingDeath 03-22-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer (Post 952960)
I got this for Christmas and I still haven't watch it. Maybe this weekend...

I got mine for Christmas as well. :o I should have watched it sooner. I do loves me some Carole.

Last night I watched Mastodon: Live at The Aragon.