The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   MOVIES you watched this week? (DVD) (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39417)

TrueFaith77 05-02-2010 06:29 PM

Two movies that get to the essence of Love: Clarence Brown's Emma and D.W. Griffith's Broken Blossoms.

chelluversu 05-03-2010 04:11 AM

Fight Club
This is the first time I actually watched the movie all the way through; everytime I caught it on TV it would always be in the middle of everything and on a stupid ass channel that would cut everything out or change "bad" words to something...unspeakable lol. BTW, I happen really like this movie so much so that I actually watched it over with commentary from brad, norton (I don't really like the name Edward lol), helena, and the director :lol:

KICK ASS!!
I love this movie...nuff said =]

Nikolaj 05-05-2010 09:22 PM

1.'The African Queen' - Bogart and Hepburn-- they are good, he won a Best Actor Oscar as 'Charlie' in this film, but I hate the way the movie is underscored, musically-there are unintentionally bad, melodramatic and too-loud musical interludes that are utilized to 'tell you' what you are 'supposed' to feel in the upcoming scene, in the coming moments...it was a technique that was used typically in 70's tv melodramas, where the musical score was almost a character in 'Charlies Angels', 'Kojak' and such tv shows - screechy violins, or 'dum-dum-dum' suspense music loops, and such. To see, and hear, this used so blatantly in a John Huston movie really surprised me and really ups the cheesy factor, of which I was expecting none.
--$40ish, amazon,com, deluxe edition with lobby cards and a Hepburn 'making of' softbound book, and other stuff (film cells)

2.'Michael Clayton'- on sale, crazy cheap at Best Buy last week, 3.99. Seems very good but I haven't finished it yet. I usually like George Clooney, and the price was right.
Next, I'd like to hunt down whatever the name was of that football movie set in the 1930s that came and went a cpl years ago, the film which made him quietly quit The Writers Guild when they didn't allow him a screenwriting credit he seemed to have deserved.
Did anyone know (I didn't!) that if you ever dare to quit The Writers Guild (of North America, I believe, is the organization's full-name)---- that you may NEVER be re-admitted as a member?! That seems soooo wrong to me, like if you dare to dispute them, and have good reasons and quietly resign, as GC did, that you may never rejoin.

3. Almost finishing up, finally, with The Paul Newman Tribute Collection, about $50 at Costco around Christmas, " a collection of 13 of his best films on dvd, accompanied by a bee-autiful 136 Page Book" to quote (with spelling liberties taken) from the back of the box set. Enjoyed 'The Verdict', 'The Hustler' and 'From The Terrace' the most, maybe. Still have yet to view 'Quintet' and 'The Towering Inferno'- the latter which I'm curious to see because of Faye Dunaway and a name-heavy 'A-List' early '70s cast. Somehow I expect a lot of cheesy, melodramatic music in it, though!

iamnotafraid 06-09-2010 10:09 PM

Netflixing again...

The Box
What a boring movie. And a lousy
film transfer.

Edge Of Darkness
Pretty good movie. I guarantee
you will jump out of your socks
during one part (not the porch
scene).

GypsyBlueEyes 06-09-2010 10:14 PM

Alice in Wonderland. It wasn't the best thing I'd ever seen but it wasn't bad either. :)

ILoveFM 06-09-2010 11:39 PM

I've seen a 1000 movies lately.

Untraceable- it was pretty good. It was a little graphic for my taste though.

Vantage Point- I saw it when it first came out and loved it. Then I rented it again. Still good. Very predictable though.

Deep Blue Sea- everyone dies in this movie (well all but 2 of the main characters). It was funny. I'm not sure if it was meant to be, but I got a good chuckle out of it.

It's Complicated- I love everything Meryl does. I found this charming and hilarious. I loved the pot smoking scene :)

Domestic Disturbance- John Travolta and Vince Vaugh are in this movie. I'm still watching it right now. Its ok so far.

The Recruit- I loved this! Colin Farrel is hot :D

LukeA 06-10-2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveFM (Post 895106)
Untraceable- it was pretty good. It was a little graphic for my taste though.

Most of this movie was filmed in and immediately around where I was living at the time. The filming for the dramatic climax sequence on the bridge kept me from getting any sleep for at least four nights (damned floodlights).

The studio also built a couple very realistic facades in a vacant lot and against an abandoned building- so realistic that- since I had just moved to the neighborhood- I had to reacclimate myself in the neighborhood after the film crew left town!

That said... not a bad film. Quite accurate in its portrayal of Portland (WAY more than, say, "Mr. Brooks". What is it about Portland and serial killers?)

mylittledemon 06-10-2010 12:26 AM

Whatever Works - pretty damn funny

Bart Got a Room - not as funny as it should have been

Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus - I should've liked this more than I do... but it's still a fun watch

ILoveFM 06-10-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeA (Post 895108)
Most of this movie was filmed in and immediately around where I was living at the time. The filming for the dramatic climax sequence on the bridge kept me from getting any sleep for at least four nights (damned floodlights).

The studio also built a couple very realistic facades in a vacant lot and against an abandoned building- so realistic that- since I had just moved to the neighborhood- I had to reacclimate myself in the neighborhood after the film crew left town!

That said... not a bad film. Quite accurate in its portrayal of Portland (WAY more than, say, "Mr. Brooks". What is it about Portland and serial killers?)

Oh wow, I would have died! If there's ever a thriller horror movie shot in my town, I would freak out. Oh and the bridge scene made me scream. I'm such a girl haha ;) The scene were he burns the body with acid is going to give me nightmares tonight. I think Diance Lane is a lovely actress and I love Billy Burke!

iamnotafraid 06-10-2010 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveFM (Post 895113)
I think Diane Lane is a lovely actress

Have you seen "Touched By Love"?

MissLadyLoki 06-10-2010 11:16 AM

I get netflix, so I practically live off movies, and when i don't have one at night, I feel lost as to what I'm gonna watch (unless Golden Girls is on lol)

Alice in Wonderland- Typical Tim Burton strangeness, but surprisingly good

Inglorious Basterds- Netflix took a few months to send it to me, and if it wasn't for that, i would've sent it back after the first half hour. Far too long, very boring (save for a few funny Brad Pitt scenes), too much of it in German and French (the fact that the subtitles were small and in yellow didn't help too), and just an all-around stupid movie

Miss Vicky 06-10-2010 11:25 AM

^Wow. "Tim Burton strangeness" said like it's a bad thing and Inglourious Basterds described as "boring and stupid"?

You and I could NEVER watch movies together.

MissLadyLoki 06-10-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 895150)
^Wow. "Tim Burton strangeness" said like it's a bad thing and Inglourious Basterds described as "boring and stupid"?

Good, I won't with you :nod:

ILoveFM 06-10-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 895114)
Have you seen "Touched By Love"?

I have not! Should I rent it?

iamnotafraid 06-10-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveFM (Post 895180)
I have not! Should I rent it?

Yes you should if it's available.
It does have an Elvis element to it.

hayley 06-10-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 895150)

Haha, you and I had the same reaction to that post. Although I was not much of a fan of Alice in Wonderland - I haven't really loved anything of his since Big Fish, although I think I'm in the minority loving that one!

I just watched Fright Night for the first time, I enjoyed it. I like anything where the vampires don't sparkle. I've been reading they're remaking it with a cast that sounds awesome to me - Toni Collette, Anton Yelchin, Colin Farrell, David Tennant, McLovin'.

chelluversu 06-10-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayley (Post 895253)
Haha, you and I had the same reaction to that post. Although I was not much of a fan of Alice in Wonderland - I haven't really loved anything of his since Big Fish, although I think I'm in the minority loving that one!

I just watched Fright Night for the first time, I enjoyed it. I like anything where the vampires don't sparkle. I've been reading they're remaking it with a cast that sounds awesome to me - Toni Collette, Anton Yelchin, Colin Farrell, David Tennant, McLovin'.

David Tennant as in Doctor Who??? must see :blob2:

Rent- I've seen this movie wayyyy too many times. I love this movie to death!

Down Came A Blackbird- this movie is kinda sad...the ending was a little predictable to me (only to me...no one else saw it coming). Over all...good movie.

The Sixth Sense- I love watching this movie over and over again because I notice stuff that I didn't notice before. Things I saw this time: the guy who killed him was a patient of his (I hadn't seen this movie in a really long time...), there was a big ass blood stain on the back of bruce's shirt that I didn't even see when he realized he was dead, Mischa Barton was in this movie..., chyeaa...

Mean Girls- I watched it again because it came on ABC Family...unacceptable lol... I will love this movie forever...and I finally noticed Amy Poehler (sp?).

ILoveFM 06-11-2010 12:11 AM

I'm watching "The Last Kiss Goodnight" with Genee Davis and Samuel Jackson. After it's over, I'll come back and review it.

20 days until Eclipse (midnight premier baby!) Yes I'm one of those silly little fan girls ;) make fun of me.

ILoveFM 06-13-2010 03:41 AM

Galaxy Quest. Haha I love this movie.

MissLadyLoki 06-13-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveFM (Post 895657)
Galaxy Quest. Haha I love this movie.

That movie is hilarious, especially the part where the ship scrapes when they try to leave.

SapphireSister 06-14-2010 05:06 PM

Crazy Heart. I loved it! I knew I would before I even saw it but it affirmed my fondness for this film A little odd seeing Jeff Bridges and Maggie Gylenhal getting it on but whatever. Great music too and I don't even like country!

iamnotafraid 06-15-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SapphireSister (Post 895902)
Crazy Heart. I loved it!

It arrives tomorrow.

Extraordinary Measures
First Harrison Ford movie I've liked in a long time.

Whip It
A life changing experience......not really, but it was
fun to watch. Go Drew go.

Armored
Sorry Matt Dillon, you stink. Waste of time. So boring.

mylittledemon 06-15-2010 01:05 AM

"Everybody's Fine" w/ Robert Deniro. Nice film. I had watery eyes through a lot of it, though. :o

LorraineRN 06-15-2010 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jannieC (Post 866269)
Saw The Lovely Bones last week-end and sobbed through the whole thing.

Just finished watching it; I cried from the beginning to end. I love a good tear jerker; very therapeutic. :nod:

chelluversu 06-15-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LorraineRN (Post 895961)
Just finished watching it; I cried from the beginning to end. I love a good tear jerker; very therapeutic. :nod:

The only thing I didn't like about it was that they didn't find her body =[

Legion: not that great...but funny as hell.
Drag Me To Hell: This movie is terrible but it will keep you saying "EWWWW!" and rolling on the floor laughing :lol:

LorraineRN 06-16-2010 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelluversu (Post 896081)
The only thing I didn't like about it was that they didn't find her body =[

Legion: not that great...but funny as hell.
Drag Me To Hell: This movie is terrible but it will keep you saying "EWWWW!" and rolling on the floor laughing :lol:

I know and I didn't like that he didn't get arrested before he died.

iamnotafraid 06-16-2010 09:14 PM

Unthinkable
This movie was very hard to watch for two reasons.
One for the very graphic violence, worse than I expected.
And two, for Samuel Jackson. He played his role like some
kind of evil super villian. His performance ruined the already
hard to watch movie. I wish I'd passed on this one.

Crazy Heart
This turned out to be a good movie. In some parts it almost
looked like the main character was portraying Waylon Jennings.
Worth watching.

iamnotafraid 06-18-2010 12:52 AM

Sherlock Holmes
A little better than I expected.
But that's not saying much.

iamnotafraid 06-20-2010 04:37 AM

The New Daughter
SCARY!!!!!!!!!
I can't sleep, so I got up and watched a
scary movie by myself. Big dark room,
with Dolby Digital Surround. This is one
of the scariest movies I've seen in a long
time. Creepy, creepy, creepy.

Whoever worked on the surround mix did
a great job. Things were running all
over the room. Kevin Costner and Ivana
Baquero (Pan's Labyrinth) did a good job,
but the sound makes the film.

WATCH IT ALONE IF YOU DARE!

MissLadyLoki 06-20-2010 08:15 AM

Shutter Island- All I can say is you have gotta watch it now! And the end has probably the best twist I've seen in years.

iamnotafraid 06-22-2010 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki (Post 896727)
Shutter Island- All I can say is you have gotta watch it now! And the end has probably the best twist I've seen in years.

^^ That's in my cart.

iamnotafraid 06-23-2010 02:45 AM

I really can't believe how bad this was. I'm
sure if I'd saw it on the big screen in 3-D it
would have been tolerable. But...Key Largo
was really good without the 3-D or color!

Doyle Bramhall II Live At The Great Wall Of China
It can't be said enough, that this guy is a great guitarist.
But for some reason the video was pretty boring. He
was much better with Roger Waters. I hope he gets
another chance at a solo DVD. Maybe he needs to play
Bass Hall.

iamnotafraid 06-30-2010 05:52 PM

The Wolfman
Can't believe I actually looked forward to this.
Benicio Del Toro looks like my guitar tech.

LukeA 06-30-2010 11:12 PM

Cadillac Man

This movie has aired on a local station six (yes, six) times in the past ten days, and I've noticed its aired on MGM-HD at least four times since this past weekend. I realize that its now been twenty years since its release, and broadcast rights' contracts are now coming due, but do we really need to be deluged with such mediocrity?

(has anyone else taken note of this, or otherwise similar, phenomena?)

iamnotafraid 07-02-2010 02:58 AM

An Education
I really enjoyed this surprisingly
good movie. It even had a Duffy
surprise. Watch it!

NINE
Daniel Day-Lewis one of my favorite actors.
Penelope Cruz one of my favorite um...eye candy.
Oh well, it was a musical. Not my cup of tea.
Did I mention Penelope Cruz?

iamnotafraid 07-06-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki (Post 896727)

Shutter Island
I watched this one during the day, but not because I'm
scared.... of course.

iamnotafraid 07-07-2010 01:54 AM

The Road
This Viggo Mortensen flick has made me very,
very depressed.

iamnotafraid 07-15-2010 12:48 AM

Another good run of bad luck.

Brooklyn's Finest
Richard Gere stars in this very
depressing movie. Without ruining
the movie for you, you won't find
anything to feel good about in this one.
Except maybe the acting.

Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans
Nicolas Cage just can't seem to find the right movie.
Did his finacial situation force him into this one???
Horrible, horrible movie. One of his worst, and that's
saying something.

Richard B 07-15-2010 08:37 PM

Mary and Max - brilliant
The Fourth Kind - garbage

FMlex 07-15-2010 08:51 PM

Anybody watched Transsiberian?

Such a weird movie... it really got to me for some reason. I think I liked it though.