The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   MOVIES you watched this week? (DVD) (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39417)

CreepingDeath 09-01-2009 08:06 PM

I watched a few oldies this weekend-

The Seven Year Itch
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
The Long, Hot Summer
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe?
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof -Elizabeth Taylor & Paul Newman were disgustingly hot during that time.

Ghost_Tracker 09-01-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreepingDeath (Post 840490)

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof -Elizabeth Taylor & Paul Newman were disgustingly hot during that time.

I LOVE that movie! :)

mylittledemon 09-01-2009 10:31 PM

Just saw DISTRICT 9. Bloody fantastic.

iamnotafraid 09-02-2009 01:24 AM

State Of Play. Pretty good movie. It will make you think.
Without spoiling the ending of the movie, I thought it lost it's focus
right at the end.

Who knew Eddie Vedder had gained so much weight???

vivfox 09-02-2009 09:35 AM

I rarely watch movies. I rarely watch TV. So my answer is none, no movies at all. No time. Much too busy writing nonsense here on The Ledge to get anything else done in my life...

FMlex 09-02-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 840531)
State Of Play. Pretty good movie. It will make you think.
Without spoiling the ending of the movie, I thought it lost it's focus
right at the end.

Who knew Eddie Vedder had gained so much weight???

I actually enjoyed this one, too!
I thought it would just be "okay" -- however, I really liked it. Thought Crowe, Affleck, and McAdams all did a great job.

gretchen 09-02-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 840514)

I so want to see that!

Ghost_Tracker 09-05-2009 08:06 PM

I started in on "Mamma Mia!" this weekend - -

I think it's awesome. Silly, but it's supposed to be. :)

ILoveFM 09-05-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker (Post 841143)
I started in on "Mamma Mia!" this weekend - -

I think it's awesome. Silly, but it's supposed to be. :)

I LOVE Mamma Mia! I have it on special edition dvd because I'm semi obsessed with it. The ending scene with the water and the dancing always overwhelmes me with happiness... Ok on to the movies I watched this week! I watched Practical Magic and Girl, Interrupted!

Cornflake Girl 09-06-2009 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreepingDeath (Post 840490)

The Seven Year Itch
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
The Long, Hot Summer
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe?

Those are great movies, I'm a serious Marilyn and Elizabeth Taylor fan so reading this has now made me want to watch them all.

Dodfather 09-06-2009 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMlex (Post 840566)
I actually enjoyed this one, too!
I thought it would just be "okay" -- however, I really liked it. Thought Crowe, Affleck, and McAdams all did a great job.

If you like the movie then check out the original BBC TV series if you haven't already. It is absolutely superb.

golddustdrummer 09-06-2009 04:17 PM

Fried Green Tomatoes!!
lol I love that movie :)
so glad it was on yesterday

I also tried watching No Reservations
but the satellite went out due to a bad storm and I never saw the ending.
I didn't really even mind that much.

vivfox 09-06-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 840514)

I'm leaving to go see this movie in ten minutes. I'll tell you how it was when I get back.

Ghost_Tracker 09-06-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 841248)
I'm leaving to go see this movie in ten minutes. I'll tell you how it was when I get back.

I loved it, personally. A lot of people in the audience thought it was so silly that they were laughing at it, though.

vivfox 09-06-2009 08:07 PM

I just got home from seeing District 9. This was a m0vie I was dying to see when I first read about it two weeks ago in Entertainment Weekly.
I asked everyone I knew if they wanted to go, even offered to pay. Everyone said no so I went alone. The movie cost $10.25.
The first 30 minutes bored me to death and I considered leaving. Then I told myself I wanted to get my money's worth so I stayed.
Then it got good and stayed good for a while and then it , well it just got plain ole stupid, but it was cute.
Wouldn't go see it again though.
On a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 4.
Everyone in the movie theatre as we were leaving just had a duh look on our faces.

Ghost_Tracker 09-06-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 841264)
I just got home from seeing District 9. This was a m0vie I was dying to see when I first read about it two weeks ago in Entertainment Weekly.
I asked everyone I knew if they wanted to go, even offered to pay. Everyone said no so I went alone. The movie cost $10.25.
The first 30 minutes bored me to death and I considered leaving. Then I told myself I wanted to get my money's worth so I stayed.
Then it got good and stayed good for a while and then it , well it just got plain ole stupid, but it was cute.
Everyone in the movie theatre as we were leaving just had a duh look on our faces.

It's strange to me how a lot of people who see this movie have some negative impressions of it, and yet it continues to rake in the major buckage in near-record amounts... :shrug:

GypsyBlueEyes 09-06-2009 09:19 PM

I watched Nights in Rodanthe a few days ago...I loved it all the way up until the end...I'm glad I finally got to see it, and I'll never watch it again. I have to say, though, I lovvvvvve Richard Gere and Diane Lane together :nod:

hippilil86 09-06-2009 10:16 PM

Gran Torino

I loved it! I totally bawled at the end, though. It's supposed to be based in MN, which is where I'm from, so that was interesting.

golddustdrummer 09-06-2009 10:45 PM

ooo I also saw The Final Destination last week
the only cool part was that it was in 3D

desertangel 09-07-2009 01:06 AM

Sunset Boulevard

"You're Norma Desmond. Used to be in silent pictures. Used to be big."
"I am big. It's the picture that got small."

"Alright Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close up."

I think the best follow up to that flick would be What Ever Happened to Baby Jane.

David 09-07-2009 10:28 AM

I saw an old favorite of mine: "Toby Tyler" with Kevin Corcoran & a playful chimp.

gretchen 09-07-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyBlueEyes (Post 841273)
I watched Nights in Rodanthe a few days ago...I loved it all the way up until the end...I'm glad I finally got to see it, and I'll never watch it again. I have to say, though, I lovvvvvve Richard Gere and Diane Lane together :nod:

Oh God I love that movie. But the end ...just so sad. I just cried when the wild horses thundered by her on the beach....as if a sign from him that he loved her even in death. That took my breath away; it was such a beautiful, touching moment. Love Gere and Lane together too. :thumbsup:

Cornflake Girl 09-07-2009 08:45 PM

I watched 'Everybody Says I Love You' last night. It's one of my 'middle of the night' movies, it feels weird for me to watch it during the day. Highlight of the movie? Flying Goldie Hawn.

CreepingDeath 09-08-2009 12:38 AM

Death Becomes Her
Sophie's Choice
The Devil Wears Prada

iamnotafraid 09-08-2009 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreepingDeath (Post 841489)
Sophie's Choice

That movie will break your heart.

CreepingDeath 09-08-2009 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 841495)
That movie will break your heart.

Yep, and Meryl's acting is beyond brilliant (even for her standards).

daniellaaarisen 09-08-2009 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreepingDeath (Post 841497)
Yep, and Meryl's acting is beyond brilliant (even for her standards).

Meryl Streep is pure gold, as is Sophie's Choice.

iamnotafraid 09-08-2009 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen (Post 841499)
Meryl Streep is pure gold.

This may sound silly, but one day when I make my millions($), I'm
going to get Meryl Streep to read me the book "Out Of Africa". And
I will enjoy it. "I had a farm in Africa..........." something like that.

GypsyBlueEyes 09-08-2009 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen (Post 841499)
Meryl Streep is pure gold

I couldn't agree with you more!! She's one of my top three favorite people...there is Stevie, Jennifer Saunders and Meryl Streep. Its one of my firmly held beliefs that they could rule the world :nod: :p

rubytuesday 09-08-2009 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 841264)

yeah I don't know what I thought. Did you see the short film Alive in Joburg? I saw that years ago and was fascinated by it and when I saw the preview for this I was soooo excited like it was dying to be made, the perfect plot line. But it's nowhere near as good as Alive in Joburg. Maybe the idea is fascinating but when it's played out for 2 hours it's not as exciting as the idea. I don't know but I might getting to meet peter jackson but I won't mention that! I loved seeing a film set in joburg though for a change!

iamnotafraid 09-08-2009 10:22 PM

John Fogerty Premonition..........good music.

David 09-14-2009 12:33 PM

Ok, I just saw RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION & I didn't think much of it. It all looked like a commercial for Gillette hi-tech razor, because all the men had afternoon shadows & all the women had some hair in their armpits. Even the zombies were growing a lot of facial hair. The film also had the usual amount of unbelievability (guy being chased by zombie birds runs to the safety of a bus, but instead of hauling his ass through the door & shutting it -- which is what a real person would have done -- he stops for a few moments in order to turn around & fire off a useless round or two at twelve gazillion birds) & cartoonish action (chop-suey fighting with zombies until one smart chap finally had the brains to get a flame-thrower).

These dumber-than-dumb action flicks always use the same color palette, too. Have you noticed? Everything is the same steely-gray & two or three shades of abiotic green.

The film is also a barrage of film references: THE BIRDS, PLANET OF THE APES, DAWN OF THE DEAD, MAD MAX, THE MATRIX, ALIENS, TREMORS, & on & on & on & on. But not a single reference was deft or clever. I think there were more references than zombies at one point.

This stupidity was directed by Russell Mulcahy, who used to direct videos for MTV (including Fleetwood Mac's GYPSY). His filmography tells an interesting moral story: He has never made a decent picture & shows no signs of ever doing so. Who gives him money?

TrueFaith77 09-15-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 842382)

This stupidity was directed by Russell Mulcahy, who used to direct videos for MTV (including Fleetwood Mac's GYPSY). His filmography tells an interesting moral story: He has never made a decent picture & shows no signs of ever doing so. Who gives him money?

I disagree.

Ricochet is an amazing movie that uncannily captures the temper of its moment; Mulcahy's wide-screen compositions vivify the times in that movie. I thrill to it often.

iamnotafraid 09-16-2009 01:57 AM

Final Destination. Figured I'd give this a try. One
down two to go. Not bad for this "type" of a movie.

Ghost_Tracker 09-16-2009 03:19 PM

I saw a movie last night with Julianne Moore and Hugh Grant - I forget the title but it was a nice romantic comedy. Had Robin Williams in it too.

Anyway - - - I already knew that there was "something about" Juliane Moore but o.m.g. - - - She was STUNNING when she was young! Even Hugh Grant was like - "OHHHhhh wow!" - you could "just tell." (i.m.o., of course.)

Anyway - Yeah - wow!!! :blob2:

iamnotafraid 12-03-2009 04:20 AM

I'm a little behind on my movies, but tonight I watched Paper Heart.

I thought it was very good. Unique to say the least. If you rent this Docu/Comedy
make sure to watch the extras. Charlyne Yi and Michael Cera did a good job.

EnchantedKiwi 12-03-2009 04:41 AM

I watched "The Birds" by Alfred Hitchcock for the first time yesterday! I thought it was pretty good, but not as scarey as people have said :rolleyes: lol

Oh and Paul Blart: Mall Cop, such a waste of time Zzzz

iamnotafraid 12-03-2009 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnchantedKiwi (Post 858100)
I watched "The Birds" by Alfred Hitchcock for the first time yesterday!

^
Cool movie!

The Mall cop.......I can't stand looking at that dude.

GODDESS6 12-03-2009 08:18 AM

four christmases
taking of pelham123
plain truth
the killing secret

estranged4life 12-03-2009 09:37 AM

Hmmm...

"War of the Worlds"
"Cannonball Run"
"The Final Countdown"
"The Wrestler"
"Christmas Time in South Park"