The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   MOVIES you watched this week? (DVD) (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39417)

Silver Springs 04-08-2011 12:48 PM

When The Wind Blows

Following a nuclear strike, an ageing couple seek refuge in their homemade bunker, a ramshackle shed barely strong enough to withstand a grenade, let alone the fallout from a US-USSR war. Awaiting help that never comes, Jim and Hilda slowly suffer the horrifying effects of radiation poisoning.

McTrouble 04-08-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Springs (Post 961246)
When The Wind Blows

Following a nuclear strike, an ageing couple seek refuge in their homemade bunker, a ramshackle shed barely strong enough to withstand a grenade, let alone the fallout from a US-USSR war. Awaiting help that never comes, Jim and Hilda slowly suffer the horrifying effects of radiation poisoning.

Don't need to watch that one now, Bee! :rolleyes:

CreepingDeath 04-08-2011 03:44 PM

I've been watching a lot of Elizabeth Taylor movies lately:

A Place in the Sun
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Giant
Butterfield 8

God, she was stunning.

Kena 04-11-2011 02:50 PM

Watched Black Swan last night and I'm still trying to decide if I liked it or not...I mean, I like strange things and psychology/crazy people stuff but I'm not so sure about the Black Swan mess. And Natalie Portman won an oscar for that? All she did was act like a high strung obsessive person. They didn't show enough dancing scences for me to get why they decided she would be the best one to dance the swan parts.

I donno. I'm still thinking on this...

darklinensuit 04-12-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kena (Post 962742)
Watched Black Swan last night and I'm still trying to decide if I liked it or not...I mean, I like strange things and psychology/crazy people stuff but I'm not so sure about the Black Swan mess. And Natalie Portman won an oscar for that? All she did was act like a high strung obsessive person. They didn't show enough dancing scences for me to get why they decided she would be the best one to dance the swan parts.

I donno. I'm still thinking on this...

I just attended a lecture on this yesterday. I wasn't sure I'd ever see this movie anyway, but the speaker provided all the spoilers in both words & images, so now I have even less of a desire to sit through it.

- Jake

louielouie2000 04-18-2011 04:00 AM

I just finished watching An Englishman In New York. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would disagree and criticize it, but I thought the movie was one of the best pieces of art I've seen in a very long time. I found it to be extremely provocative and empowering. And I've always loved the Sting song of the same name... I never knew it was about Quentin Crisp, or who he even was. It's very neat to have the story behind a song I love... and have the story be way better than I could have imagined.

The movie also churned up the issue of art in my mind. It seems to me like the last decade where the boundaries of art were pushed were the 1980s (think Keith Haring, Robert Mapplethorpe, etc). Where is the very leading edge of art occurring these days? Where is the innovation? Music, fashion, architecture, and movies seem to be stuck in a recycling mode. I honestly cannot pinpoint a medium or movement which I would think is currently on the forefront. Like Quentin himself said: "There is no post modernism. I believe that once there was modernism and it ended. Now there is only decline and decay."

ryguy2010 04-18-2011 07:34 AM

Watched a korean film 'Old Boy" :eek: wow is it ever weird and psychologically twister. But WOW a great movie it was :shocked:

McTrouble 04-18-2011 08:27 AM

Last night I watched "Dreamcatcher" based on the Stephen King novel.

Not as good as the book, but as a BIG Stephen King fan, I loved it!

Silver Springs 04-18-2011 11:57 AM

I got the new Harry Potter for Easter in place of an Egg (I hate Chocolate) so I watched that yesterday. I did intend to watch the first one today as I'm feeling nostalgic, but as of yet it's still sitting neglected atop my television as I can't work up the will to move haha!

CreepingDeath 04-18-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Springs (Post 966821)
I got the new Harry Potter for Easter in place of an Egg (I hate Chocolate) so I watched that yesterday. I did intend to watch the first one today as I'm feeling nostalgic, but as of yet it's still sitting neglected atop my television as I can't work up the will to move haha!

I recently got that as well but haven't watched it yet. I'll always be one of those annoying fans that pick apart a movie based on a book I really love. "That didn't happen"! is usually shouted at the television.

Last night I watched Heaven & Hell: Live At Radio City Music Hall. Ah, Dio. I still miss you. :(

Silver Springs 04-18-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreepingDeath (Post 966852)
I recently got that as well but haven't watched it yet. I'll always be on of those annoying fans that pick apart a movie based on a book I really love. "That didn't happen"! is usually shouted at the television.

I'm the same. The only real plus side for the movies is the fact that they have Alan Rickman :p XD

CreepingDeath 04-18-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Springs (Post 966876)
I'm the same. The only real plus side for the movies is the fact that they have Alan Rickman :p XD

I adore him as Snape. I also really love Maggie Smith as McGonagall.

LikeAWillow 04-18-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 966723)
I just finished watching An Englishman In New York. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would disagree and criticize it, but I thought the movie was one of the best pieces of art I've seen in a very long time. I found it to be extremely provocative and empowering. And I've always loved the Sting song of the same name... I never knew it was about Quentin Crisp, or who he even was. It's very neat to have the story behind a song I love... and have the story be way better than I could have imagined.

The movie also churned up the issue of art in my mind. It seems to me like the last decade where the boundaries of art were pushed were the 1980s (think Keith Haring, Robert Mapplethorpe, etc). Where is the very leading edge of art occurring these days? Where is the innovation? Music, fashion, architecture, and movies seem to be stuck in a recycling mode. I honestly cannot pinpoint a medium or movement which I would think is currently on the forefront. Like Quentin himself said: "There is no post modernism. I believe that once there was modernism and it ended. Now there is only decline and decay."

Hmm, when I think of an art form that's actively engaging with and pushing the modern world, I think of street art right away. Of course, there were already exhibits being formed on street art in the 80s (eww, context issues ahoy), but just walking down the road today, I saw an "I want to be a doctor" ad for an online school modified to read "I want to be a street artist." The paint against the plastic of the sign against the UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX type...it was fantastic.

I'm sure someone on this board is more versed than I am in everything that's going on in the graphic novel/comic world, but that's one area that I'm actively trying to check out more. The people pushing the limits there are really going for it.

One of my best friends was also talking about the ways that our social identities online and the tools that we have at our fingers now are shaping some of what we think of as art. He spoke in particular about the GPS based art that people are trying. That sort of juxtaposition against the tangible and intangible is pretty sweet. I can ask him more about it if you like; I have to admit that I zoned out a bit.

iamnotafraid 09-10-2011 04:56 AM

Netflixing again.

The Lincoln Lawyer
Decent I guess, thought it
would be better. Mcconaughey
needs a hit.

True Grit
Finally got to see this one! Bridges
did a good job. Hard to replace John
Wayne though. Worth watching.

iamnotafraid 09-12-2011 02:27 AM

Soul Surfer
This movie was really good. I had no idea
about who Bethany Hamilton was. What an
inspirational story she has. A great movie
for the whole family.

Be sure to watch the extras at the end of the
movie. Outstanding color, it looked great even
on a regular DVD. Though it was watched on a
high-def TV.

iamnotafraid 09-13-2011 04:34 AM

The Conspirator
Very good movie. Politically
motivated truth?

mylittledemon 09-13-2011 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 1015914)
True Grit
Finally got to see this one! Bridges
did a good job. Hard to replace John
Wayne though. Worth watching.

I loved that movie!

Silver Springs 09-13-2011 05:21 AM

Open Season 2

Shadup! It's sweet. "Sthanley, it'th been ages!" XD Roger really cracks me up, I swear. I don't care if it's a child's film. It's charming.

Wayne's World

As they say themselves: Excellent! It fails if you're on the search for intelligent comedy. But if you're a fan of the simpler, more juvenile things in life then Wayne's World ticks all the boxes, in my opinion.

McTrouble 09-13-2011 06:03 AM

All four Vacation films - "Dancin' dancin' dancin' 'cross the USA" :)

iamnotafraid 09-16-2011 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 1016949)
I loved that movie!

I wish I'd seen it at the theatre.
The big screen would have made
it all the more better.

The King's Speech
I'm sure everybody already knows
that this is a great movie. Fascinating
story.

The Adjustment Bureau
I really enjoyed this movie. I hadn't
read anything about it, so I had no idea
about the turn the movie takes. Hated
for it to end.

iamnotafraid 09-19-2011 05:36 PM

The Company Men
Ben Affleck, Tommy Lee Jones and
Kevin Costner. A good cast, and they
did a good job at making me depressed.

MacFan92 09-19-2011 06:32 PM

My dad and brother drug me to the movies a few weeks ago to watch Cowboys and Aliens. It actually wasn't as completely horrible as it sounds. :shocked:

MacFan92 09-19-2011 06:33 PM

I guess if I could learn to read, I would have realized this is supposed to be about DVD's. Sorry lol.

iamnotafraid 09-26-2011 01:15 AM

Red Riding Hood
I should have known better.

Blue Valentine
So depressing. What
was the purpose of this
movie?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Prt. 1
Now I do realize this movie and the ones that came
before it isn't made for my age group. But this one
was so boring. The only entertaining part was when
the girl read the passage from The Deathly Hallows.
I like how they did that.

Christopher 09-26-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 1020132)
Blue Valentine
So depressing. What
was the purpose of this
movie?

Loved this movie. So bittersweet & painfully hard to watch or look away.
Who is the beauty? Who is the beast?? Find the answer.;)

Actually this Eminem lyric sums it up quite perfectly.

"You ever love somebody so much you can barely breathe when you with em?
You meet, and neither one of you even know what hit em.
Got that warm fuzzy feeling, yeah them chills used to get em.
Now you’re getting ****in’ sick of lookin’ at em!
you swore you’d never hit em, never do nothin’ to hurt em
Now you’re in each other’s face spewin’ venom in your words when you spit em
!"

Just gonna stand there and watch me burn? Well, that's alright...I like the way it hurts! :shrug:

beccamorrisfift 09-26-2011 01:17 PM

I watched a film called Devil that I thought was brilliant, the actual plot was very interesting and I would recommend it to everyone :D

JWS 09-26-2011 08:55 PM

Can't wait to see Moneyball with Brad Pitt.

iamnotafraid 09-27-2011 10:47 PM

Okay, I guess it was a chick flick night.

Jane Eyre (2011)
Very good. Not quite what
I expected. Even a little spooky.

Something Borrowed
Worth watching if only for
the dance scene. Kate Hudson
and Ginnifer Goodwin get down
to Push It.

McTrouble 09-29-2011 01:42 PM

Just come back off a cruise this week - was on a HUGE ship which had a "Seascreen" open air cinema up on the top deck.

I watched "Pirates of the Caribbean 4 - On Stranger Tides" under the stars.

I really enjoyed it - but I kept gazing at the beautiful skyline of Casablanca (we were sailing away from Morocco while the film was on) and I kept missing bits of it!

Silver Springs 09-29-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McTrouble (Post 1020836)
Just come back off a cruise this week - was on a HUGE ship which had a "Seascreen" open air cinema up on the top deck.

I watched "Pirates of the Caribbean 4 - On Stranger Tides" under the stars.

I really enjoyed it - but I kept gazing at the beautiful skyline of Casablanca (we were sailing away from Morocco while the film was on) and I kept missing bits of it!

I enjoyed PoTC4, but it certainly wasn't my favourite. I don't know. There was just something missing from it. But PoTC is pretty much about as much fun as you can have in a cinema :p

I re-watched Ginger Snaps for probably the thousandth time last night. It's one of my favourites. I'm not usually a fan of horror (With the exception of starring Vincent Price, who I feel mastered the genre), but I've always loved this. Because there's more to it than the gratuitous gore that we're palmed off with these days. First and foremost it's the study of a sibling relationship, and how growing up and changing can damage it without the proper care and tolerance.

McTrouble 09-29-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Springs (Post 1020850)
I enjoyed PoTC4, but it certainly wasn't my favourite. I don't know. There was just something missing from it. But PoTC is pretty much about as much fun as you can have in a cinema :p

I re-watched Ginger Snaps for probably the thousandth time last night. It's one of my favourites. I'm not usually a fan of horror (With the exception of starring Vincent Price, who I feel mastered the genre), but I've always loved this. Because there's more to it than the gratuitous gore that we're palmed off with these days. First and foremost it's the study of a sibling relationship, and how growing up and changing can damage it without the proper care and tolerance.

I've only seen Ginger Snaps once but I loved it - been waiting for it to come round again.

Regarding PotC, Captain Jack is my fave movie character of all time!

Silver Springs 09-29-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McTrouble (Post 1020860)
I've only seen Ginger Snaps once but I loved it - been waiting for it to come round again.

Regarding PotC, Captain Jack is my fave movie character of all time!

Get it on DVD. It's much quicker lol. Though I don't recommend getting the sequels. Number 2 is meh at best, and 3 is absolutely dire.

He is a great character. Though you can probably guess who will always be my favourite character. I'll give you a clue. He's a greasy git. I've been obsessed since middle school :p

McTrouble 09-29-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Springs (Post 1020862)
Get it on DVD. It's much quicker lol. Though I don't recommend getting the sequels. Number 2 is meh at best, and 3 is absolutely dire.

He is a great character. Though you can probably guess who will always be my favourite character. I'll give you a clue. He's a greasy git. I've been obsessed since middle school :p

Did you ever see "Cursed" with Christina Ricci? I liked that one too.

Hmmm, to whom are you referring? Let me see, could it be Wormtail? No, not him. Could it be Prof Lupin? Nope. I just wonder if you could be referring to the very enigmatic Prof Snape? :confused::laugh:

Silver Springs 09-29-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McTrouble (Post 1020867)
Did you ever see "Cursed" with Christina Ricci? I liked that one too.

Hmmm, to whom are you referring? Let me see, could it be Wormtail? No, not him. Could it be Prof Lupin? Nope. I just wonder if you could be referring to the very enigmatic Prof Snape? :confused::laugh:

I did see it, but I can't really recall much of it. Mustn't have made that much of an impression, lol.

Oh. Wormtail of course. He's dreamy. :nod: :laugh: :D ;)

Nah. Been obsessed with Snape forever. He's my Heathcliff or Mr. Darcy :p

iamnotafraid 09-30-2011 03:13 PM

The Mechanic
Jason Statham kicks tail again.

Just Go With It
Better than I thought it would be.
Adam Sandler's best in a long time,
though that's not saying much. Jennifer
Aniston and Brooklyn Decker waka waka!

iamnotafraid 10-04-2011 11:08 PM

BUCK
One of the best movies I've seen. Even
if you've never owned or ridden a horse,
you'll love this documentary. The world
needs more people like Buck Brannaman.
Rent or buy!

In a totally opposite direction...
Transformers: Dark Of The Moon
What a horrible waste of time. Even the
great sound (which is why I rent some
movies) couldn't make this one watchable.
Horrible, horrible, horrible.

mylittledemon 10-08-2011 07:50 PM

Insidious.

Very creepy, very umm... visually disturbing. 7/10. Worth watching.

McTrouble 10-09-2011 04:09 AM

Watched Underworld last night.

Tonight watching Underworld Evolution.

Tomorrow watching Underworld Rise of the Lycans.

I like Vampires and Werewolves! :lol:

fringed n fab 10-09-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 1022222)
Insidious.

Very creepy, very umm... visually disturbing. 7/10. Worth watching.

I was told this was a creepy film too and a must see. I need to watch it soon and it's on my list.

fringed n fab 10-09-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McTrouble (Post 1022264)
Watched Underworld last night.

Tonight watching Underworld Evolution.

Tomorrow watching Underworld Rise of the Lycans.

I like Vampires and Werewolves! :lol:

I've watched all of these with my younger brother who absolutely loves Kate Beckinsale. I actually thought they were very good films. Very dark.