The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   MOVIES you watched this week? (DVD) (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=39417)

iamnotafraid 07-16-2010 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard B (Post 900437)
The Fourth Kind - garbage

^ That's in my cart.

The Book Of Eli
I'd been looking forward to this Denzel Washington and
Gary Oldman movie. Some scenes were so dark you couldn't
see what was going on (and I have my TV calibrated right).
No spoilers here - it just wasn't very good in my opinion.
Don't eat the meat.

Tenderness
I've got to rent some "happy" movies. It's weird how
without even trying, I seem to get this certain genre
of movies at once. So this Russell Crowe flick goes
along with the last few I've rented. Sad and depressing.
At least there was no cannibalism in this one!

Richard B 07-16-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMlex (Post 900440)
Anybody watched Transsiberian?

Such a weird movie... it really got to me for some reason. I think I liked it though.

I own it on blu-ray. I'm a fan of Brad Anderson films and this is no exception, however, I don't think it's a weird movie, it's pretty straight forward.

MissLadyLoki 07-16-2010 02:18 PM

Book of Eli- I'll admit that Denzel Washington is one of my favorite actors, and I do think Gary Oldman is pretty cool too, but this movie was only so-so. The action scenes, however, were good.

chelluversu 07-16-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 899121)
The Road
This Viggo Mortensen flick has made me very,
very depressed.

I thought it was My Road...anyways I saw this movie with my cousin and sister. I love how they don't go into detail about why the world is the way that it is...the end is kinda sad but Molly Parker to the rescue!!

iamnotafraid 07-18-2010 04:37 AM

The Hangover
um.......lame.

iamnotafraid 07-19-2010 02:24 AM

The Lovely Bones
What to say.....interesting, odd and
just different. Anyone else seen this?

ButterCookie 07-19-2010 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 900932)
The Lovely Bones
What to say.....interesting, odd and
just different. Anyone else seen this?

I saw it at the cinema. It fxked me up for a good 3 days.

While I was watching it I was fine and really appreciated the camerawork, editing etc but when I got home I cried for, like I say, 3 days straight. I never want to see it again.

MissLadyLoki 07-19-2010 06:45 AM

Minority Report- Yeah, an oldie, but a bit strange and left me with some questions, but the overall concept was really cool.

SapphireSister 07-19-2010 06:29 PM

I almost got Dear John on demand but fell asleep before it started...

iamnotafraid 07-20-2010 09:29 PM

The Informant
Oh, how I'd love to watch
a good movie. I should have
went with my gut on this one.

iamnotafraid 07-25-2010 03:51 AM

The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus
I gave it a try. I should have known better.

Meowi 07-25-2010 05:43 AM

Grown Ups
Great movie, great Mac reference!!!

MissLadyLoki 07-25-2010 07:46 AM

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country- I had seen and loved II-IV and, while this one was more of a political thriller, it was still very good and had plenty of action. And I'll swear up and down that this ice prison planet Kirk and Bones are sent to looked exactly like Hoth from Star Wars

Richard B 07-25-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 902079)
The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus
I gave it a try. I should have known better.

Haha. I loved it...but hey Gilliam is one my fav directors. Have you seen Tideland?

Just watched Surveillance directed by Jennifer Lynch. The apple does not fall far from the tree (David Lynch). Creepy and weird.

iamnotafraid 07-25-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard B (Post 902122)
Haha. I loved it...but hey Gilliam is one my fav directors. Have you seen Tideland?

I haven't seen Tideland. I'll have to check in to that.

chelluversu 07-26-2010 02:05 AM

The Fourth Kind: WTF did i just watch?? the hell...
2012: entertaining...I love how when the earth was falling apart it sounded like they were being chased by a dinosaur lol
Zombieland: I love this movie...and it made me want a twinkie. I got one :]
The Blindside: my favorite line is when she tells the "gangster" dude that she is a member of the NRA and that she's always packing...I sat through the whole movie and atleast 20 times I said "I love this woman..."
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: I absolutely love this movie...the musicbox scene at the birthday party (or whatever it was) is my all time favorite and will always be until the day I die :nod:

Zombie 07-26-2010 03:15 AM

Two nights ago, watched Little Children, with Kate Winslet (love her), based on the novel of the same name by Tom Perrotta. Enjoyed the book when I read it a few years ago, and the film was a fair adaptation.

Just got done watching Savage Grace, with Julianne Moore (love her, too), about the murder of Barbara Baekeland by her son, Antony. I found this OnDemand, and remembered hearing about it when it was screened at Cannes. I have something of a fascination with true crime books and films, so was pleased to see it OnDemand. Disturbing movie based on an even more disturbing story - Baekeland was an unhinged wealthy socialite that allegedly began an affair with her son in order to "cure him" of his homosexuality. Her son was also mentally unstable, allegedly suffering from schizophrenia, and I guess the whole thing with dear old mom pushed him over the edge, because he stabbed and killed her. Moore was brilliant in it, as usual - she is SO good at playing unhinged types (see also Magnolia - she absolutely breaks my heart in that movie).

iamnotafraid 07-26-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelluversu (Post 902209)
The Fourth Kind: WTF did i just watch?? the hell...

I'm watching this in a few minutes. Is it going to scare me???

Zombie 08-19-2010 04:39 AM

For anyone with Charter for cable (and maybe other providers), the Sundance Channel is running a boatload of ASIA EXTREME flicks on OnDemand right now, with quite a few Korean films and yay - a couple of my boy Takashi Miike's films, Ichi the Killer and One Missed Call.

So I just got done re-watching One Missed Call since I haven't seen it in a while. Has anyone else seen this movie?

Ichi's man with the Glasgow Smile is awesome, but I think One Missed Call is underrated. It often gets bad reviews that I don't think it truly deserves. Yes, it's very commercial, and yes, it's obvious that Miike had to do some catering to the producers, but I think a lot of it flies right over the heads of people that aren't really familiar with Miike's special brand of awesome. Because despite all of that, the film still definitely has Miike's personal stamp alllllll over it, making what might otherwise be a standard j-horror "grudge" flick (you know the ones - the creepy long-haired angry dead chick things getting revenge on the living after their horrible deaths) into a subtle commentary on the alienation of youth, child abuse, and the media's voracious appetite for the pain of others at any cost. There's also a lot of interesting commentary playing with the idea that we are so extremely reliant on modern communication technology now that it might be taking over our lives or ruining them. I bet Stevie would agree.

I'm just sayin.

So if you have OnDemand and it's running the Sundance ASIA EXTREME stuff, definitely give some of them a go, particularly the Miike offerings. Cos he's da man.

chelluversu 08-19-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie (Post 906423)
For anyone with Charter for cable (and maybe other providers), the Sundance Channel is running a boatload of ASIA EXTREME flicks on OnDemand right now, with quite a few Korean films and yay - a couple of my boy Takashi Miike's films, Ichi the Killer and One Missed Call.

So I just got done re-watching One Missed Call since I haven't seen it in a while. Has anyone else seen this movie?

Ichi's man with the Glasgow Smile is awesome, but I think One Missed Call is underrated. It often gets bad reviews that I don't think it truly deserves. Yes, it's very commercial, and yes, it's obvious that Miike had to do some catering to the producers, but I think a lot of it flies right over the heads of people that aren't really familiar with Miike's special brand of awesome. Because despite all of that, the film still definitely has Miike's personal stamp alllllll over it, making what might otherwise be a standard j-horror "grudge" flick (you know the ones - the creepy long-haired angry dead chick things getting revenge on the living after their horrible deaths) into a subtle commentary on the alienation of youth, child abuse, and the media's voracious appetite for the pain of others at any cost. There's also a lot of interesting commentary playing with the idea that we are so extremely reliant on modern communication technology now that it might be taking over our lives or ruining them. I bet Stevie would agree.

I'm just sayin.

So if you have OnDemand and it's running the Sundance ASIA EXTREME stuff, definitely give some of them a go, particularly the Miike offerings. Cos he's da man.


Sundance has had that for a while I guess lol
I absolutely love Miike
One Missed Call = AWESOME...
he also did an episode of Masters of Horror called Imprint. It got banned in the US because of this torture scene. It was... O.O

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 902353)
I'm watching this in a few minutes. Is it going to scare me???

How incredibly late I am...lol
Some parts might be a little freaky, but it's not that scary.

GODDESS6 08-19-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelluversu (Post 902209)
The Fourth Kind: WTF did i just watch?? the hell...
2012: entertaining...I love how when the earth was falling apart it sounded like they were being chased by a dinosaur lol
Zombieland: I love this movie...and it made me want a twinkie. I got one :]
The Blindside: my favorite line is when she tells the "gangster" dude that she is a member of the NRA and that she's always packing...I sat through the whole movie and atleast 20 times I said "I love this woman..."
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: I absolutely love this movie...the musicbox scene at the birthday party (or whatever it was) is my all time favorite and will always be until the day I die :nod:


i adore this movie too, i have my entire life~ my hubby found me a copy on dvd & i watch it more than i'd like to admit~ the candyman/bad guy still freaks me out to this day~

GypsySorcerer 08-19-2010 03:31 PM

I saw Eat Pray Love in the theatres over the weekend. I am not sure what compelled me to see this, considering I am not a Julia Roberts fan and haven't read the book. (See the film affirmed my decision). Barf. What a waste of two hours. Julia is the same as always, and even did her patented "crying Julia voice" FIVE minutes into the film.

On the plus side, Richard Jenkins gave a nice performance in a limited role. "Dreams" is featured on the soundtrack, and the placement of "Harvest Moon" was genius.

Zombie 08-19-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelluversu (Post 906499)
Sundance has had that for a while I guess lol
I absolutely love Miike
One Missed Call = AWESOME...
he also dead an episode of Masters of Horror called Imprint. It got banned in the US because of this torture scene. It was... O.O

It only just showed up on my OnDemand here a couple of weeks ago. But yeah, Miike is awesome. Whenever I introduce him to someone unfamiliar with his work, I always start with Imprint - I think it's the one that manages to showcase why he is so damn brilliant while still remaining accessible enough to someone unfamiliar with his work.

I'm pretty sure the fetuses had a hell of a lot more to do with Showtime banning Imprint than the torture scene did, though.

Oh, and Yumi's mom in One Missed Call is Miss Blue Hair's mom in Imprint - I like when Miike uses actors repeatedly. Because I am a nerd. ;)

chiliD 08-19-2010 04:13 PM

INVICTUS

I'll watch anything with Morgan Freeman in it. And, if there ever was a role that suits Morgan Freeman, Nelson Mandela is IT!

Matt Damon's pretty good in it, as well.


Looking forward to the new Coen Bros remake of True Grit with Jeff Bridges playing Rooster Cogburn...."The Dude" plays "The Duke".

Betsy 08-19-2010 06:32 PM

Date Night - Tina Fey & (what's his name from The Office)
Dinner with Schmucks - (what's his name from The Office)
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST - Charles Bronson as "Harmonica" with Jason Robards and Henry Fonda...I love that movie. I caught it on cable (again). I think it's my favorite western.

chiliD 08-19-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsy (Post 906531)
Date Night - Tina Fey & (what's his name from The Office)
Dinner with Schmucks - (what's his name from The Office)
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST - Charles Bronson as "Harmonica" with Jason Robards and Henry Fonda...I love that movie. I caught it on cable (again). I think it's my favorite western.

"what's his name from The Office" is Steve Carrell. ;)

Nice to see you posting again.

chelluversu 08-20-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GODDESS6 (Post 906501)
[/B]
i adore this movie too, i have my entire life~ my hubby found me a copy on dvd & i watch it more than i'd like to admit~ the candyman/bad guy still freaks me out to this day~

Oh hell...that guy lmao. I also love when the king (or whatever) and his wife were singing and he repeatedly tried to kill her, but she kept coming back :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie (Post 906512)
It only just showed up on my OnDemand here a couple of weeks ago. But yeah, Miike is awesome. Whenever I introduce him to someone unfamiliar with his work, I always start with Imprint - I think it's the one that manages to showcase why he is so damn brilliant while still remaining accessible enough to someone unfamiliar with his work.

I'm pretty sure the fetuses had a hell of a lot more to do with Showtime banning Imprint than the torture scene did, though.

Oh, and Yumi's mom in One Missed Call is Miss Blue Hair's mom in Imprint - I like when Miike uses actors repeatedly. Because I am a nerd. ;)

How did I forget about the fetuses??? <--- ok that plus the torture scene = :shocked:
Does anyone know the name of that movie with Bai Ling where she serves this chick a bowl of dumplings and it turns out that they are aborted fetuses (the woman still came back for more!!!)

Zombie 08-20-2010 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelluversu (Post 906586)
How did I forget about the fetuses??? <--- ok that plus the torture scene = :shocked:
Does anyone know the name of that movie with Bai Ling where she serves this chick a bowl of dumplings and it turns out that they are aborted fetuses (the woman still came back for more!!!)

Haha, yeah. I mean the torture scene is pretty brutal and all, but this am be A-MER-ica, and we frown upon fetus shenanigans.

But lookit you with the awesome Asian cinema! That movie is called Dumplings, directed by the badass Fruit Chan. Everyone knows cannibalism helps you keep your girlish figure. Did you see it as part of Three Extremes, or the expanded solo version?

Silver Springs 08-21-2010 07:25 PM

I seem to have had a thing for Alan Rickman movies this week, as I seem to have watched nothing but him. Hmm...I wonder why. Couldn't possibly the luscious, silken voice or the commanding presence. I must say that I'm stumped ;)

Blow Dry
Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince
Snow Cake (Not many films touch me deeply but this film never fails to leave me without the need for a tissue)
Galaxy Quest
Truly Madly Deeply

chelluversu 08-21-2010 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie (Post 906595)
Haha, yeah. I mean the torture scene is pretty brutal and all, but this am be A-MER-ica, and we frown upon fetus shenanigans.

But lookit you with the awesome Asian cinema! That movie is called Dumplings, directed by the badass Fruit Chan. Everyone knows cannibalism helps you keep your girlish figure. Did you see it as part of Three Extremes, or the expanded solo version?

oh wow, I failed lol. Nooo I didn't see Three Extremes or the expanded solo version. Is it on netflix??? (no onDemand for me :mad:)

There was another movie that I watched about this kid who inherited (??) like 10,000 bucks, and he friggin announced it to this whole crowd at a train station (he didn't mean to) that he was carrying it. So these two thieves were escorting him on the train and throughout the whole ride all the thieves tried to still the money....

I just love how I never remember the names of these movies.

Another favorite = My Sassy Girl :thumbsup:

iamnotafraid 09-12-2010 11:39 PM

A few months ago I watched Let The Right One In and thought it
was pretty good except the English overdubs. So I can't wait to see the
remake Let Me In. I hope it's as good as the original.

Anyone else going to see it? I think it opens soon, maybe October.

Silver Springs 09-13-2010 12:59 PM

Ginger Snaps - Adolescent but it's one of my favourite, Indie chique movies. I think most women could relate to the themes covered in this movie, or at least the symbolism lol (Don't recall ever barking at the moon during my monthly lol).

Into The Wild - When I saw this movie I seriously considered fleeing into the woods. It is in fact still somewhat of a dream of mine, to live in the woods away from society and surround myself with the beauty of nature and life simplified.

The Science Of Sleep - WTF? Waste of 3. My head actually hurts from the amount of scratching involved. Maybe it's alot more simple than I could comprehend, because all I understood it as was an overblown egotrip of a movie that thought itself better than it was.

tilthefirefades 09-13-2010 01:13 PM

American Beauty-Wooowwwww. What a great movie! I can't believe I had never seen it. So...who shot him? That part confused me.

Almost Famous-Underwhelmed me. Kate Hudson was the only thing keeping me entertained. Still good movie though.

I Can Do Bad All By Myself-I could have done without the singing every ten minutes, I could have done without the predictable cliche plot, I could have done with out seeing a flop Medea joke every ten minutes. I could have done without this movie. And Teraji Henson is one of my favorite actresses.

GypsySorcerer 09-13-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilthefirefades (Post 910117)
American Beauty-Wooowwwww. What a great movie! I can't believe I had never seen it. So...who shot him? That part confused me.

The Colonel and neighbor, Chris Cooper.

It is a good movie (I'll always love Spacey and Benning's performances) but after repeated viewings, it kind of lost its luster for me.

estranged4life 10-01-2010 06:45 PM

Clerks II
Twilight (Since 'someone' mentioned our relationship can somewhat be seen in this movie franchise...So I'll watch the whole saga to see if she's right...But the question remains - Am I Edward or am I Jacob?)
Cannonball Run
Inu Yasha (Season 1 Episodes 1-5)

Silver Springs 10-01-2010 06:48 PM

This list shames me in some ways lol :

* Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs (STEVE!)
* Naked
* Shock
* My Girl (One of my all time favourites)
* Unconditional Love (My favourite along with 28 Days)

HejiraNYC 10-01-2010 08:24 PM

Since I've been on a bit of a "permanent vacation" lately, I have had lots of time to catch up on watching movies/documentaries...

The Cove - A shocking but tragic documentary about the dolphin industry in Japan and one man's crusade to end it. Definitely worth checking out!

The Lovely Bones - Definitely one of the most overhyped movies in recent memory. I think the movie was absurd and implausible on every level; there are some elements of the plot that are just impossible to overcome. The one saving grace is Stanley Tucci. I love him. He is in practically every movie these days, good or bad, and he can make a bad movie into a not-so-bad movie.

A Town Called Panic - An over-the-top, fun claymation movie from France involving the antics of a cowboy, an indian and a horse that live together. It's so absurd that you can't help but laugh at it.

Einaym Pkuhot (Eyes Wide Open) - Perhaps one of the best movies I have seen in years. It's about a married orthodox Jewish man taking over his late father's butcher shop in the most orthodox neighborhood in Jerusalem, where he falls in love with his new (male) apprentice. You can kind of liken it to the Israeli Brokeback Mountain, but it is much subtler and more tenuous as it unfolds within the dark cloaks of the secretive orthodox Jewish world. There is little dialogue (in Hebrew), so much of the story is conveyed through expression and body language. Perhaps that's why I find it all so haunting...

Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City - Okay, this is technically a mini-series that was broadcast on PBS in 1993, but if you haven't seen it or heard of it, you MUST watch it!!! You have no excuse not to watch it since you can watch the entire six hours online here for free:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106148/...Full%20Episode

I hadn't watched this in 15 years, but once I started watching it again, I got sucked right back in- through all six hours in one sitting. This is simply the best thing ever made for the small screen. Ever.

Armistead Maupin's Further Tales of the City - As the name implies, it is the sequel mini-series to More Tales of the City, which was the sequel to Tales of the City. I watched More Tales... on Showtime eons ago but never got around to watching this one. All I can say is... meh. I still really liked it because I believe anything starring Laura Linney is worthwhile. But it really lacks the cohesiveness, quirkiness and chemistry of the original Tales. It's a shame that they didn't get around to making more mini-series from the Tales of the City books immediately; now all of the original actors are way too old to play their characters today.

Kinsey - I really liked this!

Whatever Works - I believe this is Woody Allen's most recent movie which starred Larry David instead of Woody Allen, even though he basically played Woody's character. It's amazing that after all these years and after all these movies, Woody can take the same basic premise and make it hilarious and relevant over and over again. One of the funniest Woody Allen movies in years.

Black Dynamite - It's a modern take on 1970s Blacksploitation movies... and it didn't involve any of the Wayans brothers surprisingly! Okay, Tommy Davidson makes an appearance... Anyway, I really liked it... it masterfully plays the balancing act of paying homage yet poking fun at the genre. It's absurd and over-the-top... but they're just sincere enough to prevent the whole thing from being a one-dimensional parody.

Vegetarian - A bizarre movie from Korea about a woman who has a nightmare and suddenly only eats vegetables. Hmmm... okay... But then for some reason she also develops a sexual fetish for flowers and her brother-in-law is oh so willing to help feed into this fetish. It's not for everyone... but it is definitely one of the stranger movies I've seen.

Metropia - A bizarre animated science fiction movie set in 2024 Europe where, after the great financial collapse, the continent has been unified physically via a single underground train network called "The Metro." It's a dark and brooding movie with some strange plot twists. I liked it, but I also found it rather dull in places. The number one thing that irked me was that all of the characters spoke English with American accents... including the main character who is supposed to be living in Sweden!

Nikolaj 10-01-2010 09:49 PM

Watch On The Rhine, 1943 Best Actor Academy Award winner Paul Lukas, with Bette Davis and Lucile Watson. Really excellent, takes it's own sweet time, so it's not fast-moving, but it's an engrossing story about the fight against Nazi Germany and an excellent study of several different European cultures with an old-money English-American mother (Watson) chewing the scenery in an appealing way.
Adam's Rib, 1951, Tracy and Hepburn and Judy Holiday, in a great movie, witty and ahead of its time with an Oscar-nominated Screenplay by Ruth Gordon and Garson Kanin. I wonder if Hepburn's characters name 'Amanda Bonner' was a slightly dirty joke that got past censors, along with Tom Bonner's comment gifting her with a new hat- "A great hat" she says, - he replies: "for the great head". The movie was directed by George Cukor who was responsible for some of the best movie classics ever made, way back when.
There's a not-so-closeted gay but supposedly straight but not (!) character infatuated with Amanda, and Spencer Tracy gets in a few digs at his effete manner. Cukor was openly gay in the 30s and likely enjoyed getting over on the Hays Office, and the film is really funny, still, and holds up.
It occurs to me that the title, 'Adam's Rib' might have been considered an audience grabber because of the previous year's smash 'All About Eve' -- Bette Davis' big comeback- So, the following year there was an 'Adam' movie which gave Hepburn a big hit that she was in need of, at the time. Maybe an "Adam" movie following "Eve" was just a co-incidence, maybe not.
1940's movies are always my favorites. Though 'Eve' was in '50 and 'Adam's' in '51, they still have a residual touch of the 40's style of filmmaking that was soon gone as the decade progressed.
Besides the superior character studies that vintage films offer, with amazing dialogue and performance-driven stories (versus mili-second camera cuts with zillions of senses-numbing action special effects, as seen in the past 20 years)-- if you ever need ideas about how to furnish rooms and have a classic and classy looking home, there's nothing as good to absorb as the Warner Brothers and MGM films of the 30s and 40s. The sets in themselves are fascinating to observe and learn from. There are great tables, lots of mirrors, -angularly shaped, amazing furniture, chaises, art deco and Asian touches, grand staircases, small accent pieces, gorgeous lamps not unlike the 'blue lamp' favored by one certain Ledge subject- there's so much artistry in the sets, and so much to take in all of the old classics.
If I can't sleep tonight, it will be 'Double Indemnity' from 1944, perhaps.
I haven't noticed many other 'classic film' lovers in this thread- but should anyone ever need recommendations, I own more than 100 films from the 1930s and 1940s. Perhaps more than that, with all the box sets. 'Baby Doll' from 1932 w Stanwyck- wow. Excellent, and not really dated.
The TCM website message boards also have a wealth of informed viewers who can tell you just about anything you'd want to know about the truly great years of Hollywood filmmaking. I think most everyone here, though, would rather not go back some 70 years in what they choose to watch, but you really would be surprised at how excellent many of the movies are if you haven't watched many.

LiquidDiamonds 10-01-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Springs (Post 910108)
Ginger Snaps - Adolescent but it's one of my favourite, Indie chique movies. I think most women could relate to the themes covered in this movie, or at least the symbolism lol (Don't recall ever barking at the moon during my monthly lol).

Into The Wild - When I saw this movie I seriously considered fleeing into the woods. It is in fact still somewhat of a dream of mine, to live in the woods away from society and surround myself with the beauty of nature and life simplified.

The Science Of Sleep - WTF? Waste of 3. My head actually hurts from the amount of scratching involved. Maybe it's alot more simple than I could comprehend, because all I understood it as was an overblown egotrip of a movie that thought itself better than it was.

:laugh: The Science of Sleep is in my Netflix instant queue...I will skip it . Into the Wild is ****ing amazing.

Nikolaj 10-02-2010 01:34 AM

Hejira wrote: Eynam Pkutoh (Eyes Wide Open) - Perhaps one of the best movies I have seen in years. It's about a married orthodox Jewish man taking over his late father's butcher shop in the most orthodox neighborhood in Jerusalem, where he falls in love with his new (male) apprentice. You can kind of liken it to the Israeli Brokeback Mountain, but it is much subtler and more tenuous as it unfolds within the dark cloaks of the secretive orthodox Jewish world. There is little dialogue (in Hebrew), so much of the story is conveyed through expression and body language. Perhaps that's why I find it all so haunting...


^^^ or 4 posts above, not just the small excerpt above, but all of it was great to read, Hejira. 'Eynam Pkutoh' especially sounds really worth investing the time in to watch. I still have not seen 'Brokeback Mountain' but this sounds like it could be more socially and culturally rewarding than 'BM' which I'd heard enough about from people I respected to know I wasn't going to feel uplifted by watching a negative depiction of what could have been a positive, life-affirming film. I was curious to see the peformances in it, which I'm sure are excellent but I knew the story's outcome, and didn't want to support the film's ulitmately negative premise, though I know the director is brilliant. 'Eyes Wide Open' (easier to type) seems like it will be more of something I'd enjoy, than another account of a gay guy destined for promiscuity and death or hiding behind a wife while really in love with a man. Hmm, guess I figured out why I haven't seen it!
"More Tales" --as you wrote, really couldn't compare to the first 'Tales of The City'- the grandmother brothel owner was kind of too painfully homely to ever really let your eyes not hurt watching her, though her acting was fine, she was just too freaky. The second actor to play 'Bear' -in 'More Tales' - was likeable enough, I guess, but the actor in the first 'Tales' really seemed to be missed, by everyone I knew and in every review I read, at the time.
What stands out now,besides how Laura Linney showed such ripe talent so long before she went mainstream and had the Oscar nominations, is how brave it was of Thomas Gibson to take on some of the male-on-male scenes he played as the bisexual married to a woman man. I respect his talent even more now, because there was no 'Harry Hamlin stigma' for him afterwards. He just has worked steadily ever since 'Tales,' refusing to believe or accept that portraying homosexual or bisexual or, really, maybe just a homo-erotic character should leave him unemployable for long stretches. He's remained a working actor ever since. Hamlin had a promising film career way, way back (I remember 'King of The Mountain' fondly, but vaguely) then along came 'Making Love' and there went his film career. Hamlin didn't even put up a fight, but surfaced nearly a decade later on 'LA Law' but didn't really fulfill the promise of what his career could have been. Gibson either has more talent or more balls and just wouldn't accept being dismissed. The talent may be it . I'm not a big 'CSI' watcher, at all, I think I have seen it twice-- but I caught an episode months ago and Thomas Gibson was Oscar-caliber, even, in his performance, and didn't get an Emmy nominaton. His character was tracking down a elderly male child molester, of boys, 2 of whom now were in their 40s, and rescuing a kidnapped child and dealing with the mass-murdering son of the rapist.
Gibson was unbelievably good in really complex scenes with layers and layers of "reserve"- I guess it would be called. So much behind the eyes, and under the surface, as well as right there about to explode, but not exploding. He really has considerable range as an actor, and maybe an inner strength that wouldn't let him accept he'd be forever typecast after 'Tales'. It's like he wouldn't give in to it, as perhaps Hamlin and Michael Onktean did give in to it, accepting that they were labeled as the stars of 'that gay movie'- Gibson cruises a bathhouse wearing just a towel and has implied sex scenes with men in 'Tales', Now 50-ish, his acting seems stronger than ever. Harry Hamlin's on a reality show with that peculiar wife of his. Good job.
I liked the 'Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman' references in 'Tales Of The City', too.
To me, 'MHMH' is an example of television that is on the level of 'Tales'-- Youtube has a clip of Louise Lasser in what Norman Lear called 'the greatest performance ever given by an actress in the history of television'-- its a very long scene where 'Mary' has a nervous breakdown while on The David Susskind Show, and by the end of the clip, it does seem that Lasser took television acting to an entirely new level- she's brilliant. That very episode isn't even available on DVD, and there doesn't seem to be any followup dvd releases beyond the MHMH dvd that's been out for years .
Suddenly feeling nostalgic for the 7os, between 'Tales Of The City' and 'MHMH.'
Will track down the movie of the Israeli duo Hejira mentioned. It sounds promising, even if one of the guys is married. It happens.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved