The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Post-Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Were Love Is Dangerous & Hard Feelings Actually Released As Singles? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59089)

Justin Reach 11-08-2020 05:39 AM

Were Love Is Dangerous & Hard Feelings Actually Released As Singles?

So did Love Is Dangerous & Hard Feelings get full single releases anywhere? I can only seem to find evidence of a Love Is Dangerous promo 7 inch & CD. Hard Feelings did seem to get a promo & cassette single but no other format. Does anyone here actually have a proper single of either of these tracks?

greendaze5 11-08-2020 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Reach (Post 1261856)
So did Love Is Dangerous & Hard Feelings get full single releases anywhere? I can only seem to find evidence of a Love Is Dangerous promo 7 inch & CD. Hard Feelings did seem to get a promo & cassette single but no other format. Does anyone here actually have a proper single of either of these tracks?

I remember seeing 'Hard Feelings' sold as a single in the stores back then. From what I recall, the artwork was nothing special at all - just vertical colored lines.

To my knowledge, 'Love Is Dangerous' was not an official single sold to the public, though it might have been sent to radio stations as a promo.

Stevie and Rick actually did 'Love Is Dangerous' (I think at the Toronto show I went to in 1990), but the song was later dropped.

HomerMcvie 11-08-2020 12:29 PM

Love Is Dangerous should have been a hit, IMO.

It was one of my favorite songs on BTM.

Macfan4life 11-08-2020 03:51 PM

Love is Dangerous actually was the 3rd single released from BTM. Although you would not know it because it did not get much airplay. Does anyone remember the countdown show comedian Louie Anderson had in 1990? I was surprised to learn when it appeared on the countdown show. Skies the Limit did not get much airplay either except on adult contemporary channels. Top 40 radio almost appeared to blacklist Fleetwood Mac with the new members. As Long As You Follow is a great song but did not even crack the top 40. Save me barely cracked the top 40 and other singles were dead in the water.
Having said that, this is why I think BTM is actually a better album than Tango. Its not really Top 40 single friendly. Its a group effort without embracing the slick music technology of its time.

On Ice 11-08-2020 03:55 PM

You're right Greendaze 5 Love is Dangerous was definitely played at what was then the Skydome in Toronto, I was in the front row. I think a few months after its release Behind the Mask was quickly becoming a "flop" and that no amount of subsequent singles would lift the album out of that status. It was hard to deny the lead single some airplay but it could not carry the album and either could the tour. A harsh reality, oh my, I can't believe I'm saying this, 30 years ago.:eek:

greendaze5 11-08-2020 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by On Ice (Post 1261863)
You're right Greendaze 5 Love is Dangerous was definitely played at what was then the Skydome in Toronto, I was in the front row. I think a few months after its release Behind the Mask was quickly becoming a "flop" and that no amount of subsequent singles would lift the album out of that status. It was hard to deny the lead single some airplay but it could not carry the album and either could the tour. A harsh reality, oh my, I can't believe I'm saying this, 30 years ago.:eek:

I was in the 3rd row on the side (where Rick Vito usually stood).

I just looked up the tour dates to refresh my memory. The Toronto show was in Oct., so that means 'Love is Dangerous' was added to the 2nd leg of the tour (not on the first and then dropped). I saw the 1st leg in July at Great Woods in Massachusetts (where the song wasn't done).

At Great Woods, they had a fancy stage set. The stage was hidden behind a big curtain of gauzy net. It was semi-transparent, so with the lighting effects, it cast these shadows when people were behind it.

When the show started, the sound effects intro to 'In the Back of My Mind' was played, and you can sort of see the band members get into their places. When they started singing, "Well I try and I try...", the curtain was dramatically raised to the audience's applause. I don't remember this being done in Toronto.

Even though the album wasn't successful, the shows sold well. They did 3 nights in a row at Great Woods. I remember Stevie wore a mini-skirt.

I just came across this. There's actually a video for 'In the Back of My Mind', pieced together from the 1987 concert video (though it looks like some new shots of Billy B. actually singing the words were added).

HomerMcvie 11-08-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1261862)
Love is Dangerous actually was the 3rd single released from BTM. Although you would not know it because it did not get much airplay. Does anyone remember the countdown show comedian Louie Anderson had in 1990? I was surprised to learn when it appeared on the countdown show. Skies the Limit did not get much airplay either except on adult contemporary channels. Top 40 radio almost appeared to blacklist Fleetwood Mac with the new members. As Long As You Follow is a great song but did not even crack the top 40. Save me barely cracked the top 40 and other singles were dead in the water.
Having said that, this is why I think BTM is actually a better album than Tango. Its not really Top 40 single friendly. Its a group effort without embracing the slick music technology of its time.

It lacked, well.....Lindsey!

It's a decent album, but the cream didn't rise quite to the top. And they were getting long in the tooth. Even though I listened to BTM quite a bit, I too had drifted from my FM fandom. I was in college, and FM definitely wasn't cool. I remember mentioning them to people in the audio tech(recording studio) program, and I got eye rolls. I learned to never mention them again. I was supposed to mention hip people, not people that needed new hips!:p

Justin Reach 11-09-2020 04:02 AM

By the looks of it Hard Feelings does have a unique radio edit that i don't think has appeared anywhere else. Come on Mick, you could makea ton of money from a proper Fleetwood Mac singles collection compilation :]

Macfan4life 11-09-2020 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1261868)
It lacked, well.....Lindsey!

It's a decent album, but the cream didn't rise quite to the top. And they were getting long in the tooth. Even though I listened to BTM quite a bit, I too had drifted from my FM fandom. I was in college, and FM definitely wasn't cool. I remember mentioning them to people in the audio tech(recording studio) program, and I got eye rolls. I learned to never mention them again. I was supposed to mention hip people, not people that needed new hips!:p

I didn't say it was a great album. Half of it is excellent and the other half is meh. I loved hearing Christine play keyboards again. That is something almost non-existent on Tango. Stevie's songs were pretty much duds. You can hear that blues rhythm section of the band again.
I disliked the light 80s synth pop of Tango. Although there are great songs on both albums.

HomerMcvie 11-09-2020 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1261870)
I didn't say it was a great album. Half of it is excellent and the other half is meh. I loved hearing Christine play keyboards again. That is something almost non-existent on Tango. Stevie's songs were pretty much duds. You can hear that blues rhythm section of the band again.
I disliked the light 80s synth pop of Tango. Although there are great songs on both albums.

I agree with every word. I listened to half of the songs until I knew every note. The other half, NOT. Love is Dangerous was $tevie's only good song on it.

I couldn't tell you the last time I played BTM...probably at LEAST a decade ago. Maybe two!

Macfan4life 11-09-2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1261874)
I agree with every word. I listened to half of the songs until I knew every note. The other half, NOT. Love is Dangerous was $tevie's only good song on it.

I couldn't tell you the last time I played BTM...probably at LEAST a decade ago. Maybe two!

Programmed bass is such a turn off for me especially when you have legend John McVie. That is why I can never dig songs like Caroline

Stevie destroyed such an amazing song "I Sing for the things" on her RAL version with programmed bass.

Very common in the 80's but its like nails down a chalkboard for me

On Ice 11-09-2020 11:49 AM

I'm glad Justin started up this new thread on BTM, it's fun to look at with retrospect. Especially, when it comes to drilling down to Christine and Stevie's best moments. Overall, an opportunity lost to really shine, without flaw, for the both of them and while both had good moments they failed to really rise to the occasion. While it's easy to blame the bland production, the real problem lies with the mediocre songwriting. Burnett and Vito also could not fill the gap. That said, I agree that 1/2 the album is great and the other half is forgettable. Ms Nicks best moment, while she turned in a great vocal on the song of this thread, to me was the last 60 seconds of Freedom, she turned it up a notch and ditched the nasal singing that ruined the song, "all the looks that you used on me don't work now that you've fallen...Freedom, come with me". The beautiful slide guitar matched this fade out to give her her best moment on the album. Christine on the other hand did it with entire songs- the title track, while a little tinny sounding was a great track performed with conviction and feeling. Save Me continued her string of great pop songs if a little bland, was good for 1990. The guys just were not A game enough to bring BTM to greatness, besides their great playing, their songwriting is second tier. The tour on the other hand, was where this line up shone and could hold an audience for the 2 hours they played. Stevie sounded great, especially towards the end of the tour, and Christine, knowing it was her last, put on some great performances and she was in the finest live voice of her career at that point. The guys were great live and played well of the classic rhythm section. Another album or two may have corrected some of the missteps of BTM and who knows where they could have gone. Sadly, we'll never know the answer to that question.

SteveMacD 11-28-2020 01:58 AM

Lindsey’s absence wasn’t the problem. It’s not like his songs on Mirage and TITN were classics, save for “Big Love.” ITBOMM was just as good as anything Lindsey released with Fleetwood Mac in the ‘80s if we’re being honest. He wouldn’t have saved the day.

Christine was magnificent, the harmonies were superb, and Rick had one of the best solos in the band’s history. Lindsey couldn’t have done the “Save Me” solo on his best day.

The problem was subpar production, not going with better songs, and subpar songs from Stevie.

The band should have gotten Ken Caillat, Mitchell Froom, or Jeff Lynn to produce.

SONGS

Skies the Limit
Victim of Love
Freedom
Intuition
Save Me
In the Back of My Mind
-
Behind the Mask
When the Sun Goes Down
Affairs of the Heart
Do you Know
Love Is Dangerous
Game of Love

On Ice 11-28-2020 08:25 AM

Great track listing Steve Mac- infinitely better songs than the Stand on the Rocks, Hard Feelings and Second Times that dragged the record down. Not sure if Desiree was available then but boy, what a great song that one is. For all the criticism Time takes, the production was wonderful and would've changed the whole vibe of BTM and possibly made it a moderately high seller. Although the band was on the outs by the time 1990 rolled around.

As far as the Stevie songs, I think Affairs should have been replaced with the Dealer, BTM was its proper time in my view. Freedom would've been killer with a better, softer more controlled vocal along the lines of Angel or Sisters of the Moon from Tusk.

Christine songs with better production, would've been like the fine wine to match her great voice at the time. Although lacking some of the hooks of her previous work, her songs we generally all good.

For producer, I'm going to go with Keith Olsen- he would've done the necessary work to make this album great.

On Ice 11-28-2020 12:44 PM

Another "What If?" What if Stevie had not done TOSOTM and instead, the glorious Rooms on Fire became the BTM signature hit with warm tones of Olsen's production and Vito's extraordinary guitar skills?