The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Post-Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   RIP George Hawkins, Jr. (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58273)

Street_Dreamer 10-27-2018 11:55 AM

RIP George Hawkins, Jr.

According to Billy on Facebook, George passed away yesterday. Terribly sad. :(

BLY 10-27-2018 12:10 PM

Thanks for posting....RIP George. I loved his album, Every Dog Has Its Day and its still on my play list and of course the work he did with Christine McVie and Mick Fleetwoods solo discs.

David 10-27-2018 12:19 PM

Very sad.

In 1984 I saw George on the Rickie Lee Jones tour in L.A. The band all played parts in Rickie Lee's performance art. George played Rickie Lee's dad in wartime, telling a weird, wondrous story about a scorpion that stings itself to death. And of course his bass playing was excellent on songs like "It Must Be Love" and "Gravity."

Later that same year, I saw George play with Christine McVie at the same venue. Lower key but . . . it was Christine, after all.

R.i.p., George Hawkins.

P.S. Do you guys remember the TV show Rock Palace, with the Zoo performing "Angel, Come Home" and "Tonight" with George on lead vocal?

BLY 10-27-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1242442)
Very sad.

P.S. Do you guys remember the TV show Rock Palace, with the Zoo performing "Angel, Come Home" and "Tonight" with George on lead vocal?

I do and so love Mick’s I’m Not Me disc.

sleepless child 10-27-2018 12:27 PM

Very sad news. Didn't Mick mention him being ill at Musicares?

I remember seeing him perform with Christine and Mick and I think he also did with Lindsey.

Street_Dreamer 10-27-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepless child (Post 1242444)
Very sad news. Didn't Mick mention him being ill at Musicares?

I remember seeing him perform with Christine and Mick and I think he also did with Lindsey.

He along with Billy, Steve Ross and Mick performed with Lindsey on SNL.

Macfan4life 10-27-2018 01:03 PM

Very sad :(
Fantastic bass player. I saw him live in 1984 with Chris.

BLY 10-27-2018 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1242448)
Very sad :(
Fantastic bass player. I saw him live in 1984 with Chris.

Me too....He was a great player.

SteveMacD 10-27-2018 01:25 PM

RIP. He was a great talent.

Street_Dreamer 10-27-2018 02:47 PM

I've been "friends" with George on Facebook ever since I created my account. Around 10 years ago or so, I was going through a rough period and he was kind enough to send some encouraging words to me in spite of not knowing me personally at all. He ended up emailing me a copy of a song of his, Love So Strong. I'll always remember him for his kindness and being awesome enough to share his music with me. Even though he wasn't a member of Fleetwood Mac, his contributions to the various solo projects from Trouble to The Visitor and I'm Not Me to Christine's solo album have been and always will be a major part of my life. I proudly own Every Dog Has Its Day on CD and was thrilled beyond belief when I obtained my copy on eBay.

Thank you George, for everything. You are missed greatly.

Murrow 10-27-2018 04:03 PM

Sad loss. He was always bassist-in-waiting for the Mac people.

bwboy 10-27-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer (Post 1242460)
I've been "friends" with George on Facebook ever since I created my account. Around 10 years ago or so, I was going through a rough period and he was kind enough to send some encouraging words to me in spite of not knowing me personally at all. He ended up emailing me a copy of a song of his, Love So Strong. I'll always remember him for his kindness and being awesome enough to share his music with me. Even though he wasn't a member of Fleetwood Mac, his contributions to the various solo projects from Trouble to The Visitor and I'm Not Me to Christine's solo album have been and always will be a major part of my life. I proudly own Every Dog Has Its Day on CD and was thrilled beyond belief when I obtained my copy on eBay.

That was so nice of him. Thanks for sharing, Street_Dreamer.

BLY 10-27-2018 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer (Post 1242460)

Very nice...and thanks for sharing. He was definitely part of the MAC family.

SteveMacD 10-27-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murrow (Post 1242461)
Sad loss. He was always bassist-in-waiting for the Mac people.

Ironically, he even sang backing vocals on John’s solo album. His backing vocals on “One More Time With Feeling” were a major high point on that album.

Street_Dreamer 10-27-2018 09:40 PM

Didn't George sub for John one time during the Tusk tour? I remember a story about John getting ill and George coming in to finish the show.

EDIT: Nevermind, it was Rocky Burnette.