The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   YMLF acapella (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59788)

dougl 12-21-2022 08:30 PM

YMLF acapella

https://youtu.be/MBtIY0jyYOc

jbrownsjr 12-21-2022 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougl (Post 1280313)

Wow, that's fantastic. :nod:

aleuzzi 12-21-2022 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1280322)
Wow, that's fantastic. :nod:

Isn’t it! Hearing that choral backing is just phenomenal. The three voices sound great together—

but it must be said that the thick vocal layering is not that different than the backing vocals on the title track to Heroes. Christine and Bob had already figured out how to create swelling textures.

I’m just glad Christine was front and center in both cases.

She did it again on “Bad Journey” decades later.

jbrownsjr 12-23-2022 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1280323)
Isn’t it! Hearing that choral backing is just phenomenal. The three voices sound great together—

but it must be said that the thick vocal layering is not that different than the backing vocals on the title track to Heroes. Christine and Bob had already figured out how to create swelling textures.

I’m just glad Christine was front and center in both cases.

She did it again on “Bad Journey” decades later.

It really does give you goosebumps. I think if Christine explored arranging a bit more, we would get more amazing blends like YMLF.

Welch/McVie
Buck/McVie
Nicks/McVie
Kirwan/McVie
Burnette/McVie
Winwood/McVie
McVie/McVie (I love hearing her with herself). *Like Bad Journey

I want more!! And I'm still waiting for that blues album. Maybe she did it without telling us. :laugh:

SteveMacD 12-23-2022 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1280360)
It really does give you goosebumps. I think if Christine explored arranging a bit more, we would get more amazing blends like YMLF.

Welch/McVie
Buck/McVie
Nicks/McVie
Kirwan/McVie
Burnette/McVie
Winwood/McVie

I want more!! And I'm still waiting for that blues album. Maybe she did it without telling us. :laugh:

Even her first solo album had some nice harmonies.

That’s why it always drives me crazy when people say that Lindsey and Stevie radically changed Fleetwood Mac’s style. Christine’s songwriting didn’t change. Most of her 1970-74 songs had harmonies. The biggest difference was having two full pop writers who complimented her works, making for more consistent pop albums. I love Bob and find that era the most rewarding, but going from “Bermuda Triangle” to “Come A Little Bit Closer” is a bit of a leap.

aleuzzi 12-23-2022 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1280376)
Even her first solo album had some nice harmonies.

That’s why it always drives me crazy when people say that Lindsey and Stevie radically changed Fleetwood Mac’s style. Christine’s songwriting didn’t change. Most of her 1970-74 songs had harmonies. The biggest difference was having two full pop writers who complimented her works, making for more consistent pop albums. I love Bob and find that era the most rewarding, but going from “Bermuda Triangle” to “Come A Little Bit Closer” is a bit of a leap.

Exactly. Welch helped her a lot with harmonies. The thick vocal layering on “Heroes Are Hard to Find” is similar in texture to the choral backing YMLF. The harmonies on “Emerald Eyes” are as impressive as the duo harmonies on IDWK (albeit in a different way).

The trio vocal blend with Stevie and Lindsey is so fascinating BECAUSE of Christine. If you hear the a capella version of “Rhiannon” on YouTube it’s the high, aching Christine notes that give me the chills...same with “The Chain.”

Penguin Emeritus 12-23-2022 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1280360)

Welch/McVie
Buck/McVie
Nicks/McVie
Kirwan/McVie
Burnette/McVie
Winwood/McVie

speaking of kirwan/mcvie ......I've been so into this Sands of Time remix lately!! The Danny/Chris harmonies are just gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz6S...EzQVg&index=35

aleuzzi 12-23-2022 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus (Post 1280399)
speaking of kirwan/mcvie ......I've been so into this Sands of Time remix lately!! The Danny/Chris harmonies are just gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz6S...EzQVg&index=35

It really is terrific. I’m surprised folk bands with multiple singers haven’t attempted to cover it.

SteveMacD 12-23-2022 09:57 PM

I actually don’t think Christine harmonized with Danny on FG or BT. I’m pretty sure that was Danny harmonizing with himself.

aleuzzi 12-23-2022 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1280401)
I actually don’t think Christine harmonized with Danny on FG or BT. I’m pretty sure that was Danny harmonizing with himself.

I think you’re right. I’m wondering if Danny harmonizes with himself on “Woman” and “Dust”, both of which have high, feminine harmony part that could be Christine or him...

SteveMacD 12-24-2022 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1280402)
I think you’re right. I’m wondering if Danny harmonizes with himself on “Woman” and “Dust”, both of which have high, feminine harmony part that could be Christine or him...

It sounds like he’s harmonizing with himself to my ears, although I can’t say 100%. The live versions sound close, but it’s hard to hear that kind of detail in audience recordings that are over 50 years old.

Penguin Emeritus 12-24-2022 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1280404)
It sounds like he’s harmonizing with himself to my ears, although I can’t say 100%. The live versions sound close, but it’s hard to hear that kind of detail in audience recordings that are over 50 years old.

i guess that's possible. On Sands of Time, that really sounds like Chris to me, though. Could Danny have gone that high? lol i suppose maybe he could have.

--Lis

SteveMacD 12-24-2022 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus (Post 1280405)
i guess that's possible. On Sands of Time, that really sounds like Chris to me, though. Could Danny have gone that high? lol i suppose maybe he could have.

--Lis

I think he actually had more range and was more consistent than Christine during those years. Think “When You Say,” “Jewel Eyed Judy,” and the demo “Love It Seems.” Danny could hit the high notes easier than Christine. Danny had perfect pitch.

Christine could be a little rough early on. She seemed to become more consistent on Penguin. Just a matter of experience.

ETA: Also check out “Purple Dancer.”

Penguin Emeritus 12-24-2022 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1280406)
I think he actually had more range and was more consistent than Christine during those years. Think “When You Say,” “Jewel Eyed Judy,” and the demo “Love It Seems.” Danny could hit the high notes easier than Christine. Danny had perfect pitch.

Christine could be a little rough early on. She seemed to become more consistent on Penguin. Just a matter of experience.

ETA: Also check out “Purple Dancer.”

yes you're right, he did have a beautiful range. and chris did have to grow into her voice a bit back then. i'm gonna go check out 'Love It Seems' if i can find it.

--Lis

SteveMacD 12-24-2022 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus (Post 1280409)
yes you're right, he did have a beautiful range. and chris did have to grow into her voice a bit back then. i'm gonna go check out 'Love It Seems' if i can find it.

--Lis

Here it is.

https://youtu.be/LRbt8K4d7qk