The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Straight Back (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=55165)

ViscountViktor 04-19-2015 03:10 PM

Straight Back

I've never really liked Mirage, but I listened to it again recently, and loved Straight Back.

Does anyone else think it's one of Stevie's best Mac vocals? Powerful, tuneful, and the added bonus of Christine!

If only they played it on tour....

DauphineMarie 04-19-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViscountViktor (Post 1164895)
I've never really liked Mirage, but I listened to it again recently, and loved Straight Back.

Does anyone else think it's one of Stevie's best Mac vocals? Powerful, tuneful, and the added bonus of Christine!

If only they played it on tour....

I think it is one of the most interesting Mac songs from Stevie. I think it's hard to put it in a category, considering the diversity of her other songs from Mirage. There also hasn't been a song like it since.. It's so atmospheric, like a dream almost.

SisterNightroad 04-19-2015 04:07 PM

It's my favourite song from Mirage, the only one from the album that's in my favourites' playlist.
There are a lot of interesting outtakes of the song on Ivory Keys, the studio demo, the vinyl mix, two alternate extended album outtake versions and even two live rehearsals: http://stevienicksivorykeys.blogspot...inning_42.html

Macfan4life 04-19-2015 07:15 PM

Straight Back is classic Mac with lyrics, vocals, harmonies, backing vocals and the way that Lindsey and Christine play off each other.

The entire Mirage album is full of great vocals, lyrics and stuff like this. I don't get how people love Straight Back but hate Mirage. IMHO Straight Back is a highlight but definitely sounds like the entire album.

KenB 04-19-2015 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1164911)
The entire Mirage album is full of great vocals, lyrics and stuff like this. I don't get how people love Straight Back but hate Mirage.

There are also a few of us who love Mirage but hate (or are apathetic toward) Straight Back.

wheart 04-20-2015 08:55 AM

LOVE Straight Back and is probably in my top of 5 of Stevie penned FM songs. When I first bought Mirage a gazillion years ago I played Straight Back non stop. My roommate at the time thought they had released a new song because she kept hearing it come out of my bedroom. I love everything about this song: vocal, lyrics, production...major air of mystery, drama, anger, romance and love!

Montclare 04-20-2015 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenB (Post 1164914)
There are also a few of us who love Mirage but hate (or are apathetic toward) Straight Back.

I like (not love) Mirage and feel Straight Back is one of the lesser songs on the album. To me, it's the song on Mirage that feels the most 80s, and I'm not an 80s fan.

Feather Blade 04-20-2015 09:35 AM

I love it too. (I also really love Mirage, with just a couple of exceptions)

soul_drifter333 04-20-2015 09:52 AM

There's still another mix too, which is my favorite. The cassette version has more vocals up-front in the mix. I had the cassette first and thought it was weird how different the vinyl version was when I finally got the album. I don't have access to it right now or I would share it. Someone else on here probably has it though. Love how the synthesizers are recorded and mixed. They almost have the Tusk approach in how they are produced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisterNightroad (Post 1164898)
It's my favourite song from Mirage, the only one from the album that's in my favourites' playlist.
There are a lot of interesting outtakes of the song on Ivory Keys, the studio demo, the vinyl mix, two alternate extended album outtake versions and even two live rehearsals: http://stevienicksivorykeys.blogspot...inning_42.html

HomerMcvie 04-20-2015 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 (Post 1164938)
There's still another mix too, which is my favorite. The cassette version has more vocals up-front in the mix. I had the cassette first and thought it was weird how different the vinyl version was when I finally got the album. I don't have access to it right now or I would share it. Someone else on here probably has it though. Love how the synthesizers are recorded and mixed. They almost have the Tusk approach in how they are produced.

Yep. I had the cassette version first, and all the guitar licks at the end, aren't on it(like they are on the CD).

sanders8323 04-20-2015 03:39 PM

Love the Mirage album, but Straight Back is my least favorite song on it. In response to the original poster's question, yes, I think the song showcases a brilliant Nicks vocal, but, unfortunately, that vocal is paired with one of the most tuneless songs in the Buckingham/Nicks lineup.

Nick 04-20-2015 07:52 PM

Have always loved this track. I like it better than SOTM. Would love if they put it in the live shows.

jbrownsjr 04-21-2015 08:46 AM

Fantastic Stevie song. One of the best songs she's ever written.

madeline 04-28-2015 04:43 AM

Straight Back has always been one of my favorite Stevie songs. I also happen to like the Mirage album as a whole as well. I like everyone's songs on that album. But last night I was listening to a bunch of different Straight Backs, and if you listen to her sing it on the Mirage rehersals, it's not great. She seemed to be struggling to sing parts of it. I think they made the right decision not to do it live, I don't think Stevie could have pulled it off night after night. And if they tried to do that song today, they would have to pull a Sisters of the moon and strip the fire from it in order for Stevie to be able to sing it. Sometimes it is better to leave well enough alone.

pauls90 04-28-2015 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madeline (Post 1165330)
Straight Back has always been one of my favorite Stevie songs. I also happen to like the Mirage album as a whole as well. I like everyone's songs on that album. But last night I was listening to a bunch of different Straight Backs, and if you listen to her sing it on the Mirage rehersals, it's not great. She seemed to be struggling to sing parts of it. I think they made the right decision not to do it live, I don't think Stevie could have pulled it off night after night. And if they tried to do that song today, they would have to pull a Sisters of the moon and strip the fire from it in order for Stevie to be able to sing it. Sometimes it is better to leave well enough alone.

Really?? I actually love the live rehearsals.

And obviously Stevie's voice is not in the shape it was then. It could still be amazing if they gave it an interesting rework and not just lowering the pitch/energy level.

I've always thought it strange that Mirage is kind of the "obscure" record of the classic lineup - in terms of people remembering an album and not just a couple songs. I have a few friends who always thought Gypsy and Hold Me were on Tango.