The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lindsey features in new UK magazine UNCUT (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59291)

tango87 07-14-2021 03:30 AM

Lindsey features in new UK magazine UNCUT

Hello all, there's going to be an interview with Lindsey in the new edition of the UK magazine, UNCUT. It's not out over here until Thursday, but the cover quote is interesting: "I have control issues!":

https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/blo...d-more-131920/

Could be good - apparently he brought up the subject of Fleetwood Mac first...

tango87 07-14-2021 03:36 AM

Here's some more from the interview:

https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/int...m-2021-132202/

"Lindsey Buckingham steps out into the afternoon heat of west Los Angeles. Surrounded by dogs, he takes the short walk across the yard from his home to his out-house studio.
“We’ve got way too many actually,” he explains. “We’ve got one miniature poodle, a miniature Australian shepherd, a white lab and two Pomeranians. Yeah, I think one is enough…”

Based around an old reel-to-reel tape machine, the studio appears to be a fairly primitive set-up – at least for a man of Buckingham’s wealth and reputation. But then, Lindsey Buckingham has always been one to confound expectations. He hasn’t used the studio much since 2018, when the 10 songs on his new, self-titled solo album – his first in a decade – were recorded. Back then, things were different. Buckingham’s heart was doing fine, Covid was unheard of, and he was still a member of Fleetwood Mac.
In fact, the subject of Buckingham’s departure from the group in 2018 – after he requested a delay to their upcoming tour so he could release his own album – comes up early in our conversation, after Buckingham himself raises it. It is, he explains, inexorably tied in with the origins of this new album.

“Once I’d been ousted from the band – which in itself was just so absurd after all the troubles we’d been through and managed to overcome for 40-plus years – I was poised to put the album out. Then I ended up having a bypass operation, so we had to kick it down the road a little further. And then the pandemic hit. So it’s been a sort of running gag, to have so many false starts.”

Here at last, post-Macxit, the Lindsey Buckingham album has many highlights – including the chiming, propulsive I Don’t Mind and the striking and experimental Power Down – that bring into focus Buckingham’s melodic gifts as well as his hunger for unconventional thinking.

“It’s just a one-man show, me playing and engineering,” he says. “It’s like painting. It does start to become a one-on-one, like with a canvas.”

READ THE FULL INTERVIEW IN UNCUT SEPTEMBER 2021"

michelej1 07-14-2021 10:57 AM

A man with 5 dogs one day. A divorced loner the next.

sleepless child 07-14-2021 11:12 AM

I was just thinking, this must have been done while he and Kristen were still together. I can't wait to read this.

David 07-14-2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tango87 (Post 1268121)
“Then I ended up having a bypass operation, so we had to kick it down the road a little further. And then the pandemic hit. So it’s been a sort of running gag, to have so many false starts.”

Indication that Lindsey’s mindset is largely album-followed-by-tour. Unlike his earliest solo days, he now seems to insist that an album must be followed by a tour: that you can’t do one without the other (although I think he has toured once or twice without an album, and certainly Fleetwood Mac does this). Otherwise, I don’t know why the sixteen-month pandemic should delay an album. He could have released music since 2018 as often as he felt the impulse, and then followed up with a tour highlighted by his latest recorded work whenever the theaters opened back up. It’s not as if he has hit singles on the nation’s radios. He produces a body of work — and at some point tours as its own discrete statement, mixing and matching from throughout his catalogue. I call it the Kate Bush model. Her last tour — her first in decades — consisted of catalogue choices plus two major long-form statements from Hounds of Love and Aerial. I don’t think Lindsey would have any trouble operating this way if he chose.

aleuzzi 07-14-2021 08:13 PM

So the man has too many dogs and admits he has control issues.

He’s still the only member of the Rumours lineup to make new music. What he and Christine could do, given the chance!

HomerMcvie 07-14-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1268144)
So the man has too many dogs and admits he has control issues.

He’s still the only member of the Rumours lineup to make new music. What he and Christine could do, given the chance!

But the STAR says no! Nobody buys music these days! :mad:

DownOnRodeo 07-14-2021 09:52 PM

Hounds of ex-love

Maybe the opening track "Scream" will be a symphony of barking dogs, in a misguided attempt to appeal to a wider audience who know him only from "Holiday Road."

tango87 07-16-2021 05:13 AM

It’s a brilliant interview, lots of honest and fascinating stuff about Stevie and the band, and the split. I’ll try and post some photos...

tango87 07-16-2021 11:39 AM

OK, here you go, I've put them all in this folder in my Flickr account - this should work!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisn...57719547457458

BigAl84 07-16-2021 12:28 PM

JFC...Let's push aside all the other usual Stevie bits...how about Christine:
"I'm sorry I didn't stand up for you, I just bought a house"

Christine could of said ANYTHING that would of been better than that. What a gut punch.

HomerMcvie 07-16-2021 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1268187)
JFC...Let's push aside all the other usual Stevie bits...how about Christine:
"I'm sorry I didn't stand up for you, I just bought a house"

Christine could of said ANYTHING that would of been better than that. What a gut punch.

Yeah, she's not exactly a model friend to have.

sleepless child 07-16-2021 01:30 PM

I can't believe no one stuck up for him. What has happened to these people? At this point in their lives it should be about the art, not the money. They have forgotten everything that brought them together in 1997 for the Dance.

FuzzyPlum 07-16-2021 01:48 PM

A very good interview. Pretty blunt- he's pulling no punches.
'I had so many peak moments in the show....'
'....I think she'd come of stage every night thinking she'd come in second'

:lol:

sue 07-16-2021 02:57 PM

….” Just bought a house”…
What does she mean, she s having to watch the pennies..???
Christine is worth 65 million, for goodness sake.

HomerMcvie 07-16-2021 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sue (Post 1268192)

My MOST pathetic moment in my 40+ years of Christine worship.

She ain't no better than anyone...:shocked:

bombaysaffires 07-16-2021 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tango87 (Post 1268184)
OK, here you go, I've put them all in this folder in my Flickr account - this should work!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisn...57719547457458

thanks for posting!

elle 07-16-2021 09:59 PM

enjoying Lindsey finally being frank and spilling some tea in interviews, the way he's been with fans at meet & greets and such for years now. i missed this unfiltered Lindsey in his muzzled and band-appeasing interviews, including that bs they were spilling in interviews at the time about how BuckVie was always gonna be a duet album.

at least, even though he apparently still wants to get together with that dysfunctional family of lousy humans, at least he's not trying to hold back and appease anyone (well, he is somewhat appeasing Mick). telling it like it is.

wilsonmac 07-16-2021 11:36 PM

I think this album is gonna be top notch, and interviews like this make me believe that the music industry knows it as well. Really enjoy listening/reading Lindsey being straight and telling us the truth. Should be fun seeing them on tour.

HomerMcvie 07-17-2021 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1268202)
enjoying Lindsey finally being frank and spilling some tea in interviews, the way he's been with fans at meet & greets and such for years now. i missed this unfiltered Lindsey in his muzzled and band-appeasing interviews, including that bs they were spilling in interviews at the time about how BuckVie was always gonna be a duet album.

at least, even though he apparently still wants to get together with that dysfunctional family of lousy humans, at least he's not trying to hold back and appease anyone (well, he is somewhat appeasing Mick). telling it like it is.

Why tf would he want to get back with these LOSERS? It's degrading. Humiliating. Just plain sick.

tango87 07-17-2021 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1268200)
thanks for posting!

My pleasure! It's great to hear Lindsey really speaking openly, particularly about how Stevie's ego has distorted the band from being an even faintly creative entity into purely a cash-grab machine. We all knew it, of course, but it's a relief to hear him say it at last.

I really can't wait for his album.

jeets2000 07-17-2021 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1268202)

Agreed - these answers make much more sense. The "logic" behind Stevie's move against him is exactly what I thought had happened, too. Stevie Nicks in capital letters... :rolleyes:

Sad to see the state of things between LB and John, but I'm not sure we should have expected anything else. They butted heads a bit when he and Stevie first joined, and I don't ever remember hearing about a honeymoon period thereafter. (Still, I'll never forget about LB sticking up for him when John got cancer and the rest of them wanted to keep touring).

The Christine stuff is just heartbreaking. That being said, I think the mutual admiration between them is real, and I'm holding out hope for some kind of fence mending.

UnwindedDreams 07-17-2021 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeets2000 (Post 1268209)
(Still, I'll never forget about LB sticking up for him when John got cancer and the rest of them wanted to keep touring).

It's quite hard to swallow that Mick and Stevie would've thought to tour without John.

Lindsey is loyal. He cancelled his UK Tour rather than get a replacement for Neal. And in 2018, he didn't get another guitar player. Neal is his bandmate.

This article is really sad. Stevie acts like Don Angelo Bruno.

elle 07-17-2021 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tango87 (Post 1268206)
My pleasure! It's great to hear Lindsey really speaking openly, particularly about how Stevie's ego has distorted the band from being an even faintly creative entity into purely a cash-grab machine. We all knew it, of course, but it's a relief to hear him say it at last.

I really can't wait for his album.

agreed and thanks for sharing! :wavey:

elle 07-17-2021 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeets2000 (Post 1268209)
Agreed - these answers make much more sense. The "logic" behind Stevie's move against him is exactly what I thought had happened, too. Stevie Nicks in capital letters... :rolleyes:

Sad to see the state of things between LB and John, but I'm not sure we should have expected anything else. They butted heads a bit when he and Stevie first joined, and I don't ever remember hearing about a honeymoon period thereafter. (Still, I'll never forget about LB sticking up for him when John got cancer and the rest of them wanted to keep touring).

The Christine stuff is just heartbreaking. That being said, I think the mutual admiration between them is real, and I'm holding out hope for some kind of fence mending.

when you read the interview, and also from what Lindsey was telling fans at m&gs back in 2018, he had no hard feelings towards Christine, John or Mick. he considered them weak, and primarily looking after their own best interests. obviously he knows these people are lousy humans and accepts them as such. he says in this interview, especially about John and Christine, that they got caught in the middle, where they didn't want to be.

Mick was the one doing Stevie's dirty work in interviews shoveling garbage all over LB during that sad mac cover tour. yes he and LB are all lovey-dovey these days.

the only person LB blamed for the whole situation was Stevie, and he is still saying the same now. Stevie waited to have enough clout to pull the power play on the rest of them, and once she got there, that's exactly what she did. i'm glad he has no problem telling it like it is now.

Macfan4life 07-17-2021 08:26 PM

Really enjoyed the interview and the honesty. Love that Lindsey went there with his true feelings. Stevie used to say how she would stand down or play it cool during Fleetwood Mac concerts as to not want to be the star. I was floored how Lindsey describes Stevie's jealousy at Lindsey's standing ovation during I'm So Afraid. Good grief, she was not even on the stage which some could say is disrespectful. Lindsey also points out what some dont want to accept in this forum is how profitable Stevie is. Her 24K Gold Tour was insanely profitable selling out huge arenas and extended 3 times. Clearly her success made her an ego-maniac. Lindsey did not say this part but it is my belief. Stevie went on with the Mac with Lindsey. When Christine came back suddenly the limelight was on Chris. This opened the wound for her to pay attention to Lindsey and it drove her insane.
One last note. If you saw Lindsey in concert you can see it in his face that he is telling the truth that he prefers to play in front of 2,000 people instead of 20,000. Also, shame on Christine for her horrible conduct and lame excuse (I just bought a house).

HomerMcvie 07-17-2021 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1268216)
Really enjoyed the interview and the honesty. Love that Lindsey went there with his true feelings. Stevie used to say how she would stand down or play it cool during Fleetwood Mac concerts as to not want to be the star. I was floored how Lindsey describes Stevie's jealousy at Lindsey's standing ovation during I'm So Afraid. Good grief, she was not even on the stage which some could say is disrespectful. Lindsey also points out what some dont want to accept in this forum is how profitable Stevie is. Her 24K Gold Tour was insanely profitable selling out huge arenas and extended 3 times. Clearly her success made her an ego-maniac. Lindsey did not say this part but it is my belief. Stevie went on with the Mac with Lindsey. When Christine came back suddenly the limelight was on Chris. This opened the wound for her to pay attention to Lindsey and it drove her insane.
One last note. If you saw Lindsey in concert you can see it in his face that he is telling the truth that he prefers to play in front of 2,000 people instead of 20,000. Also, shame on Christine for her horrible conduct and lame excuse (I just bought a house).

This. This. This.

All of this.

$tevie has become a horrible person. A complete egomaniac.

And Christine isn't much better. A terrible person to have as a friend. She'd throw you under the bus for a nickel.

anusha 07-17-2021 09:37 PM

I have mixed feelings about this interview. On the one hand, I’m glad that Lindsey is telling it like it is. But on the other hand, I think it has to be said that if he really wants closure and to end things on a good note with FM, talking about how Stevie was jealous of his spotlight in concert isn’t going to do it. (It feels salty in the same way his post-lawsuit press statements about how Stevie was jealous that he had a family and all she has is her career weren’t exactly mending fences).

I don’t think he and john were ever close. It seems like Mick is really the linchpin who kept everyone connected but they don’t have all that much genuine connection to each other than via Mick. As for Christine. She’s weak and we knew that. With Mick as the hub of the band, the McVies could either stay on the ride with Stevie, Neil and Mike or not be in FM. I think that Stevie could always tour solo, and they knew from the Eagles that a band without Lindsey would sell well anyway. So while it is gross and disappointing, honestly it’s not a surprise. They trashed Lindsey in the media during the BTM press too, so it’s not even the first time. Honestly, I doubt anyone in the band besides Mick actually *likes* Lindsey as a person, and over the years Lindsey hasn’t made it easy (though he deserved far better than he’s gotten).

I’m not saying Lindsey owes anyone in that band anything. I’d just as soon he tell all the tales and share what awful people they are. Then again, I don’t want the band to reunite and will never believe anything they do as a group is genuine except for their genuine desire to make money off of fans. But if his goal is reconciliation, sometimes he would he advised to hold his fire.

DownOnRodeo 07-17-2021 09:53 PM

On the Wrong Album

Quote:

the infectious, propulsive pop of On the Wrong Side
"Infectious and propulsive pop" is not at all how I would describe the On the Wrong Side we know from the With Honors soundtrack. Must be a sped-up, reimagined approach to the same lyrics, or a completely new song altogether.

I'm impressed that the tracks were also mastered by Lindsey. I am yet to tire of I Don't Mind. Too bad the mastering of the Say You Will album wasn't left to Lindsey.

GypsyVisions 07-18-2021 02:22 AM

I liked that Lindsey said these things out loud, finally. Because if he wants to get back into Fleetwood Mac (and he does) then he has limited options. I don’t think catering to Stevie’s fantasy gaze or cowering to her “power” is going to work. I think Lindsey genuinely thinks that his last chance is to just be honest and hope Stevie hears what he says and accepts it. Yes, she is hard headed, to say the least. But you can’t blame him for wanting something enough for his legacy to let himself believe that maaaaybe he can still reach her with the truth. He wasn’t exactly mean in his comments. He was just honest. Stevie needs a reality check. Lindsey’s approach could work, fail, completely backfire or even worse. Who knows?

And it is such a relief to hear Lindsey acknowledge that albums don’t sell like they used to but that this is no reason to stop making art. That’s beautiful. He mentioned that he cut 2 songs this year (as of the time of the interview) so this tells me we are getting more Lindsey Buckingham music after the upcoming album. :]

Macfan4life 07-18-2021 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anusha (Post 1268218)
I have mixed feelings about this interview. On the one hand, I’m glad that Lindsey is telling it like it is. But on the other hand, I think it has to be said that if he really wants closure and to end things on a good note with FM, talking about how Stevie was jealous of his spotlight in concert isn’t going to do it. (It feels salty in the same way his post-lawsuit press statements about how Stevie was jealous that he had a family and all she has is her career weren’t exactly mending fences).

I don’t think he and john were ever close. It seems like Mick is really the linchpin who kept everyone connected but they don’t have all that much genuine connection to each other than via Mick. As for Christine. She’s weak and we knew that. With Mick as the hub of the band, the McVies could either stay on the ride with Stevie, Neil and Mike or not be in FM. I think that Stevie could always tour solo, and they knew from the Eagles that a band without Lindsey would sell well anyway. So while it is gross and disappointing, honestly it’s not a surprise. They trashed Lindsey in the media during the BTM press too, so it’s not even the first time. Honestly, I doubt anyone in the band besides Mick actually *likes* Lindsey as a person, and over the years Lindsey hasn’t made it easy (though he deserved far better than he’s gotten).

I’m not saying Lindsey owes anyone in that band anything. I’d just as soon he tell all the tales and share what awful people they are. Then again, I don’t want the band to reunite and will never believe anything they do as a group is genuine except for their genuine desire to make money off of fans. But if his goal is reconciliation, sometimes he would he advised to hold his fire.

I disagree. Lindsey has been quiet and taped his mouth shut for decades. When he left in 1987, he could have thrown Mick and Stevie under the bus for the reasons he was leaving. But he was not petty and just moved on.
I am happy that finally he speaks his mind. Did he do things to purposely annoy Stevie. Yes of course. Did she counter? Probably. They have always had this kind of tit for tat relationship. What changed? IMHO it was the jealousy Stevie had between Chris and Lindsey. They went and recorded without her and even toured without her. This is one of the few times the boss did not get her way. She controlled the band at every level. She gets the highest percentage of tour proceeds and sets the band's recording schedule of when she is free. Christine coming back suddenly they had interest in making new music. Stevie's reaction: NOT ON MY WATCH. Her ultimate revenge was not to just leave Fleetwood Mac. She could have done that and walked away. She went for the ultimate kill. She used the power she has in the band to tell Mick, its me or Lindsey. A Sophie's choice. Stevie realized Mick would cater to her because of money. If she really did not want to make new music or tour with the band she could have said "I'm going to sit this one out." But she came for the jugular.

John Run 07-18-2021 07:33 AM

I agree with what MacFan4Life writes. Lindsey speaking real and raw about his view of the demise of the Rumours era band is his prerogative, and by most rationale, past due. I also don't find it particularly inflammatory. I actually think for Stevie the issue was that she did not have as much control as she wanted or believed she was entitled to. Increasingly since 1997 Lindsey was the on stage leader of the band and drove the energy of the show. He already had been the studio leader of the band. As she said in 2013, Fleetwood Mac is a democracy, we all get a vote, but Lindsey gets two. That was likely figurative and not literal, but it is insight into her perception of Lindsey's power within the band. Then he produced a good album with 4/5 of Fleetwood Mac and mounted a tour with Christine that didn't include her. Yes, Fleetwood Mac could be a viable entity without her. Of course clearly not the cash machine without her. That's when her essential nature to the value of the franchise likely became obvious to her, she saw it as her path to assume control, and stick a knife into Lindsey for all the slights, real and perceived, that he had foisted upon her over the past 45 years.

Lindsey has now chose to peal away the BS and let the public know what motivates the most recent version of the band, which is keeping the touring machine (aka the income stream) going. For one go around most ticket buyers could have cared less if Lindsey was there. I still think the 2022 angle to one more cash run will be the return of Lindsey and the Rumours 5 and Lindsey will be a good little compliant soldier.

I do believe it's fan myth, particularly since the return of Christine, that Stevie got a bigger percentage of the touring revenues. The lawsuit filed by Lindsey and his attorneys make it pretty clear the 5 were equal financial partners. His demand for $12-14 million in lost touring income damages from the agreed upon dates, as well as an on going equal percentage of ancillary revenue streams is further evidence he was entitled to an equal income share. Stevie has talked in prior years that Lindsey made way more than everyone else. Likely this is from producer income, but still she could not have been gaining vastly higher touring income from band shows for that belief to have any factual relevance to her. His public net worth has been reported to be higher than Stevie's, though that could easily be incorrect information. Also a divorce settlement will reduce Lindsey's personal asset value, but that's another story.

This was all about control, mixed with a little revenge. Stevie saw the opportunity and seized it.

But in my opinion they will return on stage again no matter what you read and hear them saying about each other. These five people are very adept at sleeping with one another, hating each other, lying about, shunning and ignoring each other for years, only to find their way back to holding hands on a soundstage in Southern California. It is who they are and history repeats itself with them over and over.

BLY 07-18-2021 08:32 AM

But in my opinion they will return on stage again no matter what you read and hear them saying about each other. These five people are very adept at sleeping with one another, hating each other, lying about, shunning and ignoring each other for years, only to find their way back to holding hands on a soundstage in Southern California. It is who they are and history repeats itself with them over and over.[/QUOTE]

Yes all true but now all of them are in their mid and late 70’s with voices that don’t translate well live……Sad but done.

John Run 07-18-2021 08:38 AM

BLY - I agree with you. Lindsey is the youngest one at 71. But if they are all still alive in 2022 the known and continuing demise of their voices will be the last thing that stops these 5 people from hitting the stage.

HomerMcvie 07-18-2021 09:44 AM

I won't be going to any more tours(although I'd still do a BuckVie).

Because THEY HAVE POISONED THEIR OWN BRAND. It's too late now. Game over.

UnwindedDreams 07-18-2021 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1268225)
I won't be going to any more tours(although I'd still do a BuckVie).

Yuck. Let her do FinnVie and keep singing Hold Me, Don't Stop and World Turning with him.

As much as Mick was a dirtbag with all of this going down, if Lindsey were going to play with someone again, I'd rather it be Mick.

I don't recall Mick actually saying anything bad about Lindsey other than we weren't happy with him in the band, but he was speaking for Stevie.
Mick seemed to not want to burn any connection to Lindsey. Stevie had Mick by the b***s so he probably was given talking points by Karen.

Christine was saying it's better without Lindsey and she was bringing up Lindsey pulling the jacket over his head to impersonate Stevie... s**t that's 40 years old. To me, she'll go where the wind blows.

It's odd to me that Lindsey didn't think he and John were close considering John played on solo stuff. I never thought of Stevie being close with John other than their nose tap moment in GDW.

HomerMcvie 07-18-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1268226)
Yuck. Let her do FinnVie and keep singing Hold Me, Don't Stop and World Turning with him.

As much as Mick was a dirtbag with all of this going down, if Lindsey were going to play with someone again, I'd rather it be Mick.

I don't recall Mick actually saying anything bad about Lindsey other than we weren't happy with him in the band, but he was speaking for Stevie.
Mick seemed to not want to burn any connection to Lindsey. Stevie had Mick by the b***s so he probably was given talking points by Karen.

Christine was saying it's better without Lindsey and she was bringing up Lindsey pulling the jacket over his head to impersonate Stevie... s**t that's 40 years old. To me, she'll go where the wind blows.

It's odd to me that Lindsey didn't think he and John were close considering John played on solo stuff. I never thought of Stevie being close with John other than their nose tap moment in GDW.

Like I said, they have poisoned their own brand.

BLY 07-18-2021 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Run (Post 1268224)
BLY - I agree with you. Lindsey is the youngest one at 71. But if they are all still alive in 2022 the known and continuing demise of their voices will be the last thing that stops these 5 people from hitting the stage.

John Run- Sad but probably true. My live shows days are over. Great memories of many concerts band and solo tours.

michelej1 07-18-2021 04:15 PM

This is brutal in places. Thank you so much for sharing.

michelej1 07-18-2021 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sue (Post 1268192)

I know. She is hoarding a fortune and why? For her nieces and nephews? I just don’t get it.