The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Chain cover - Highwomen - Howard Stern (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58742)

Les 05-15-2004 10:53 AM

Billboard reviews Tantric's cover of The Chain

Billboard
May 15, 2004

Tantric - The Chain
by Keith Caulfield

TANTRIC The Chain (3:28)
PRODUCER: Toby Wright
WRITERS: various
PUBLISHERS: Now Sounds Music, ASCAP; Fleetwood Mac Music; Welsh Witch Music (adm. by Sony/ATV Songs), BMI Maverick 101329 (CD promo)

Following the success of "Hey Now" on mainstream rock radio, perhaps Tantric is aiming for a broader audience by covering this Fleetwood Mac chestnut. The cut is the second radio single from the group's sophomore album, "After We Go." Tantric's rendition retains the rollicking spirit of the original, but punches it up a notch with crunchy guitars, growling vocals and heavy bass. Frontman Hugo Ferreira delivers the song's classic chorus ("And if you don't love me now/You will never love me again/I can still hear you sayin'/You would never break the chain") with angst and urgency. Such powerful stuff makes you want to reach out and touch somebody's hand. Heritage and mainstream rock radio should latch onto the track immediately.

DownOnRodeo 05-15-2004 11:35 AM

I LOVE this cover! I really do. I always play it. It ROCKS, but is loyal enough to have all the atmosphere and pathos of the original. It just takes it up a notch in the 'grrr' stakes, sonically.
Hehe, look at the publishers ;) Money for all! :P

winnona Call 05-15-2004 02:39 PM

I love it

I have to say its a pretty good cover, however I get the feeling from a thread on the BuckinghamNicks board that most people dont like it. Obviously, it cant out do the FMs version, buts its a pretty good listen anyways.

xx

wondergirl9847 05-15-2004 03:19 PM

I like it

I think it's pretty cool. Very jarring, but I'm assuming that's the groups sound. NOTHING can touch the original tho. :)

Livia 08-27-2004 10:57 AM

Tantric's cover of The Chain - all over TV

From MTV News:

"Guster, Travis and Sixpence None the Richer's Leigh Nash are among the acts who have recorded covers of '70s songs for the soundtrack to the WB series "Everwood." Due October 19, the album will also feature previously released covers from Jason Mraz, Throwing Muses' Kristin Hersh and Stereophonics. ... Tantric had been wanting to record a cover for months but were undecided on a song. Singer Hugo Ferreira suggested turning on the radio and doing the first tune they heard. That was Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain," and now Tantric's cover has become the theme song for HBO's new series "Family Bonds," about bail bondsmen and bounty hunters, premiering September 19. Tantric, meanwhile, are hitting the road next month to promote their recently released album, After We Go. ..."

I've heard it on the commercials for Family Bonds, which looks like a great show, btw. :o

DownOnRodeo 08-27-2004 11:51 AM

I love the cover. :nod: Good to hear that it's doing well.

Gypsy3 08-27-2004 11:55 AM

I hate that cover of "The Chain". The singer's voice is too much for me. Don't scream the damn song! :distress:

mylittledemon 08-27-2004 12:01 PM

Yeah when I heard it I just cringed. Much like the Wilson Philips cover of GYOW.

shackin'up 08-27-2004 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsy3
I hate that cover of "The Chain". The singer's voice is too much for me. Don't scream the damn song! :distress:

They're screaming it? Cool. I'm gonna listen to the snippet then.....

edit:
Hmm, on amazon only the first five tracks are active.....our song is number 6.

sh*t happens.

Livia 08-27-2004 12:33 PM

I like the screaming - I like their angry spin on it. :nod:

CarneVaca 08-27-2004 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up
They're screaming it? Cool. I'm gonna listen to the snippet then.....

edit:
Hmm, on amazon only the first five tracks are active.....our song is number 6.

sh*t happens.

Got to barnesandnoble.com. They do all the songs.

shackin'up 08-27-2004 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Got to barnesandnoble.com. They do all the songs.

Thanks.

Sounds cute. Not really my thing but at least there's a Cock-Rock version of the Chain now.

the only thing that's a pity is that they sing it. I hoped for a real screaming version. well, sh*t happens. :D

cliffdweller 08-27-2004 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia
I like the screaming - I like their angry spin on it. :nod:

Me too.

I always like to hear new spins on old songs, but more importantly, I like to see F.M. getting their props :thumbsup:

Lala 08-27-2004 02:07 PM

Awesome! Too bad I don't get HBO though :(

amber 08-27-2004 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up
Thanks.

Sounds cute. Not really my thing but at least there's a Cock-Rock version of the Chain now.

the only thing that's a pity is that they sing it. I hoped for a real screaming version. well, sh*t happens. :D

uh, I thought the Chain WAS one of the Mac's yelling, cock rock songs... :laugh: sure, Stevie & CMV are singing, but it's mostly Lindsey yelling....
AMber

DeadliestPoison 08-27-2004 03:31 PM

Awr. I like the cover. :(

Gazza 08-28-2004 07:45 AM

Come on, Stevie and Lindsey used to scream this song at each other! I probably miss that more than I miss Stevie's screaming at the end of Rhiannon.

Gypsy3 08-28-2004 08:33 AM

oh well but Lindsey's voice is pleasant
this is..... definitely not :sorry:

MikeVielhaber 08-29-2004 11:03 PM

i love tantric and was pleasantly surprised to hear that the new album was gonna have the chain on it. just something more to look forward too since all i've had to listen to from them is their first album the past few years. anyway i'm going to see them next week here in houston.....its like ....13 bucks a pop....i'd be stupid not to go.....especially since i;ve always wanted to see them.

my take on the song is that it's an interesting spin on it.....i like it.....but the guitarist doesn't do anything very imaginative on it really. he waters down much of lindays parts. not saying he's bad....hes come up with plenty of cool things but thats what i hear on that song.

Janet 09-06-2004 11:10 PM

glad they are fans.....*sarcastic grimace*

GoldDustOrphan 02-03-2009 04:35 PM

Pin Me Down - The Chain (new pop/electronica cover)

Pin Me Down - The Chain
http://www.mediafire.com/?y0mnnznj1jh

Pin Me Down is a pop/electronica/rock side project of guitarist Russell Lissack, of the British band Bloc Party and guitarist/singer Milena Mepris, formerly of the electro-punk band Black Moustache.

Zombie 02-05-2009 01:45 AM

That was pretty interesting. I can't tell if I like it or not, though. I like the actual music, but I think it's the vocals that are putting me off.

Thanks for the up.

Villavic 02-05-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie (Post 796867)
I can't tell if I like it or not, though. I like the actual music, but I think it's the vocals that are putting me off.

Don't like it enough, but it's better than the Everywhere mix I downloaded weeks ago.
and yes the vocals sound like Chrissy Hynde with pneumonia:laugh:

Doctor 02-06-2009 01:33 AM

I've listened to this song several times thus far. The bass is pretty massive; I enjoy it.

shackin'up 02-06-2009 03:01 AM

I think it's a total cheap dump.

TrueFaith77 02-06-2009 07:15 AM

In what manner did they release this song? I looked them up on itunes usa but there's only one EP of one song "Cryptic" that's avaialble.

GoldDustOrphan 02-09-2009 05:42 PM

They released it on their myspace page - where it's still available - but it's also featured on the Rewind II compilation, which was released Jan. 1, 2009. Last year, they covered Pretty in Pink.

shackin'up 05-04-2009 09:17 AM

great a capella Chain cover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdHdjpwUl2c

David 05-04-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up (Post 818759)

Smokin'!

Creative arrangement that really understands the vibe of the studio cut. Listen to how the voices replicate not only the percussion but the Hammond B3! Whoever composed the arrangement has an excellent ear.

Livia 05-04-2009 06:17 PM

That was awesome!

AliceLover 05-04-2009 07:40 PM

Wow! That was incredible.

LiamMcConville 05-04-2009 08:27 PM

Oh god. :l

trackaghost 05-04-2009 08:37 PM

Is it wrong that I found it difficult to get through that? :laugh:
I'm sorry Gerald :(

GypsyJas 05-04-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trackaghost (Post 818877)

No, you're not wrong, I thought the same thing! It's not that the group isn't talented...I just didn't think The Chain was a great fit for them.

I dunno, I just have a hard time with anyone covering the Mac anyways...it never sounds right to me...

BTFLCHLD 05-04-2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Is it wrong that I found it difficult to get through that?

you did better than me...
I clicked out at :26

:shrug:

carrie721 05-04-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

the concept is better than the execution.

ontheEdgeof17 05-04-2009 11:30 PM

The verses were really good. :shrug: I didn't like the beginning at all.

shackin'up 05-05-2009 07:39 AM

Quote:

Ofcourse not, and don't be sorry. I just bumped on it and liked to share it. I liked to hear a complete different take on the song and it is done amazingly well, if you like it or not: that arrangement is very original and complex, even if you don't like the outcome. I know it's forced and very un-rock'n'roll, but I usually puke on these kind of things and this time I was impressed. :shrug:

soul_drifter333 10-10-2014 09:14 PM

The Chain - Cover

I keep my opinion to myself...:rolleyes:

http://www.shewired.com/television/2...chain-will-mak

secret love 10-10-2014 09:33 PM

I think it's better than the original :shocked: