The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Come A Little Bit Closer (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=51285)

Ulpian 01-20-2013 03:00 PM

Come A Little Bit Closer

I had never listened to this track until tonight, and right now it has me close to tears. It's just beautiful. Can't believe I overlooked this one, hidden away on my Chain box set!

:D

michelej1 01-20-2013 04:11 PM

Do you mean you don't have Heroes are Hard to Find? Even if you only follow Christine, it's worth getting (Prove Your Love), but I also love Bermuda Triangle.

Michele

Ulpian 01-20-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1073044)
Do you mean you don't have Heroes are Hard to Find? Even if you only follow Christine, it's worth getting (Prove Your Love), but I also love Bermuda Triangle.

Michele

I don't have it. I ordered Bare Trees a while back, then realised I had nothing to play the cd on! So, my acquisition stopped for a while.

FierySequences 01-20-2013 11:41 PM

One of the best albums, imo...I rated it only second to MTM.

Love Chris' songs here...that's why I'm so baffeled by her low-key, downplaying of her writing abilities pre BN.

Ulpian 01-21-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FierySequences (Post 1073067)
One of the best albums, imo...I rated it only second to MTM.

Love Chris' songs here...that's why I'm so baffeled by her low-key, downplaying of her writing abilities pre BN.

I completely agree. I think she deserved way more credit for those earlier pieces, particularly 'Why' which I have always thought is sublime.

holidayroad 01-21-2013 09:25 AM

Come A Little Bit Closer is a wonderful song. Still, I have to say that Prove Your Love is probably my very fave Christine song!

Blueletter18 01-21-2013 03:31 PM

Yes, Come a Little Bit Closer is amazing! Def in my Christine top 5, along with Why, Think About Me, Prove Your Love, and Spare Me A Little.

aleuzzi 01-24-2013 09:14 PM

Come a Little Bit Closer is a fine, pretty song that is overproduced. I think it would have been far more effective if it were just done with her singing to a light accompaniment on acoustic guitar, bass, and brush drums. The arrangement in Heroes is overblown.

Prove Your Love is wonderful as it is. And Bad Loser is fantastic.

jbrownsjr 01-26-2013 01:41 AM

Beautiful song..

blinker12 01-26-2013 12:41 PM

Yeah, I've always thought the HAHTF album is maybe Chris's finest moment as a songwriter. :)

Are there live recordings of any of her songs from this album? Especially "Prove Your Love" or "Come a Little Bit Closer"? Apologies if I'm showing my ignorance -- I'm not that well-versed in the pre-BN live catalog.

jbrownsjr 01-26-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinker12 (Post 1073607)
Yeah, I've always thought the HAHTF album is maybe Chris's finest moment as a songwriter. :)

Are there live recordings of any of her songs from this album? Especially "Prove Your Love" or "Come a Little Bit Closer"? Apologies if I'm showing my ignorance -- I'm not that well-versed in the pre-BN live catalog.

You're doin just fine so far! I agree with you. Not a lot of live performances; however, there are some boots floating around of this tour.

ryan4136 01-29-2013 08:05 AM

If you are a Christine fan, you really need to purchase the pre-Rumours era stuff. I'd argue 1/2 of her top notch work came before that formation.

Heros, Bare Trees, Mystery to Me, and Penquin all have some Christine gems.

Fannymac 02-06-2013 07:20 PM

GREAT song! Can't believe someone hasn't covered it and had a hit with it!!

WatchChain 02-07-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1073437)
Come a Little Bit Closer is a fine, pretty song that is overproduced. I think it would have been far more effective if it were just done with her singing to a light accompaniment on acoustic guitar, bass, and brush drums. The arrangement in Heroes is overblown.

Prove Your Love is wonderful as it is. And Bad Loser is fantastic.

I LOVE this song. Thank you for reintroducing it to me. I haven't listened to it in years. I like the lush layered arrangment, BUT, I would ALSO love to hear a stripped down arrangement of "Come A Little Bit Closer".....I think it would be great acoustically. Also, is that a steel guitar that I hear near the end? (LOVE IT)........

I am reminded here that Chris was a VITAL PART of Fleetwood Mac. I miss her dearly! I am a huge fan of Buckingham/Nicks, but Fleetwood Mac is just not the same without Christine. Sorry...... I would walk on glass to see her perform live with the band again. Also, if she ever did, I would like her to add to the set list one of her fine songs from "Heroes" or "Mystery to Me"..........