The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   DISCUSSION: Lindsey's songs from Mirage (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=44920)

MacShadowsBall 10-16-2010 08:10 PM

DISCUSSION: Lindsey's songs from Mirage

Here's the 2nd discussion thread for Mirage - all about Lindsey Buckingham's songs.

Songs up for discussion
1. Book of Love
2. Empire State
3. Oh Diane
4. Eyes of the World
5. Can't Go Back

Unlike Christine and Stevie on Mirage, I guess one could say Lindsey didn't have that stand out "hit" like he did for Rumours, Tusk, and Tango in the Night. :shrug:

jcalzaretta 10-16-2010 08:24 PM

Lindsey - Mirage

Eyes of the World
Can't Go Back
Oh Diane
Book of Love
Empire State

TrueFaith77 10-16-2010 08:51 PM

Eyes of the World probably stands out because of its three versions, all of which are awesome. But Can't Go Back is the prettiest. Oh Diane is underrated. Book of Love is gorgeous pastiche. Empire State is delightful lark.

michelej1 10-16-2010 10:21 PM

You know, all of these songs are nice to bop to, but I can't say there's one in that bunch that I really love or that I find to be more than "pleasant." Probably Can't Go Back is the one I like the most, due to the Melodies awaken sorrows from their sleep lyric.

Michele

louielouie2000 10-16-2010 10:59 PM

With the exception of Eyes Of The World, I find all of these songs to be terribly banal. The whole '50s throwback theme was so unimaginative and safe to the point it was insulting to the listener. It's like Lindsey was saying:

"Tusk was too out there for ya? Here! I'll give you a heaping dose of EXACTLY what you want!"

In spite of all that, i think Eyes is a pretty terrific song. I usually find myself hitting repeat with that one! :D

tilthefirefades 10-16-2010 11:42 PM

I love all of these songs so much! Except Oh Diane :laugh:. Can't Go Back is easily my favorite. But Book of Love is great to me too.

Kayli 10-17-2010 12:11 AM

I love love love love Eyes of the World, especially live. The rest of Lindsey's Mirage songs I find unexciting. Can't Go Back and Book of Love are pleasant enough. I like Oh Diane, however, the 1950's sound is unfitting with the rest of the album :shrug: Ha, I enjoy it to a degree. The music on Empire State is pretty cool.

GypsySorcerer 10-17-2010 08:06 AM

Much like Christine's work on this album, I don't think Mirage represents Lindsey's strongest material. However, I don't mind his tunes here. I've always really liked Book of Love, and Eyes of the World is probably my favorite (I love how Canon in D fits into the song). I even enjoy the much-maligned Oh Diane, for what it is. I will say that Empire State is one of my least favorite Lindsey songs ever. Yes, it's interesting musically, but it annoys me to no end. :shrug:

Silver Springs 10-17-2010 08:20 AM

I don't find anything offensive at all about Lindsey's work on this particular album. It's pleasant, if a little untrue to him as an artist. I do enjoy each song individually, that being said.

1. Eyes Of The World (I prefer this performed live as he gives himself more leeway to have fun with it. Part of the enjoyment of Lindsey's work is watching him "act up" to it.
2. Book Of Love (One of the songs that's most played on my Fleetwood Mac section of my iPod. I'm one who focuses on lyrics more than music for the most part, and these lyrics ring true as a narration).
3. Empire State (A fun song, if a little gaudy and "avant garde".)
4. Oh Diane (I never quite understood why it was places on Mirage as it doesn't really seem to fit. But as a song approached singularly I do enjoy it. It's unlike most of what Lindsey has ever done. Kind of an experiment. Some would say it backfired but personally it's one of those that will always place a smile on my face and have me singing along).
5. Can't Go Back (I placed this last purely because it's one of those that doesn't immediately spring to mind. Each time it's mentioned, I have to have a listen to it again just to refresh my memory as to what it even sounds like).

MissLadyLoki 10-17-2010 09:21 AM

Sorry, but Bucky was way off this time. Hell, he made me wanna put a drill in my ear. Of all the songs, Eyes of the World is the least painful (though Oh Diane is fun too)

aleuzzi 10-17-2010 10:05 AM

Beyond Eyes of the World, none of these songs interest me.

holidayroad 10-17-2010 10:20 AM

I love all of Lindsey's songs on Mirage. The whole album is great. I don't get why so many people dislike it. I know it's a lot different than Lindsey's work on Tusk. I'm sure he wanted his songs to be more 'out in left field'. I don't think he was given a lot of choice.

Artemis 10-17-2010 11:04 AM

1. Book of Love - It doesn't really do anything for me really. I think it plods on a bit too much. It's a pleasant song... but that's all it is.
2. Empire State - I actually LOVE this song. I don't know why, it's just so... bouncy and fun. Empire State - Straight Back - Hold Me is a really strong run of songs. I like to stick Empire State on repeat quite often >_>
3. Oh Diane - I don't quite get the levels of hatred this song sometimes receives. It's not wonderful, but, it's fun and catchy.
4. Eyes of the World - It's a fun song, but I don't have strong feelings either way for it.
5. Can't Go Back - I had to go listen to it just to remember what it sounds like. It's fun while it's on... but it doesn't have a lasting impression on me.

On a whole, I think Lindsey's songs on Mirage are just... nice. They're not spectacular, but they're not god-awful either.

Sleepless-Child 10-17-2010 11:28 AM

I don't really care for his songs on Mirage, i like them all (except for Oh Diane) though. Book of Love and Eyes of the world are the best to me.
I actually love this album, it's fun and catchy, and there's not one song that is deeeep and dark, maybe except for Straight Back. It's joyful, I'm joyful, and then we're joyful together. Mirage :thumbsup:

HomerMcvie 10-17-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilthefirefades (Post 915330)
I love all of these songs so much! Except Oh Diane :laugh:. Can't Go Back is easily my favorite. But Book of Love is great to me too.

What.you.said.

Me too, exactly. And Oh Diane is easily the worst song on the album.:mad: