The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   If Mirage and Tango was one album..... (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59139)

BLY 01-22-2021 07:45 PM

If Mirage and Tango was one album.....

Big Love
Gypsy
Everywhere
Eyes of the World
Seven Wonders
Hold Me
Book of Love
Little Lies
That’s Alright
Tango in the Night
Love in Store
Straight Back
Isn’t it Midnight
You and I pt 1&2
Wish You Were Here

HomerMcvie 01-22-2021 08:26 PM

You missed Empire State and Family Man...

Haters gonna hate. :laugh:

Seriously, I love both. Especially Empire State.

BLY 01-22-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1263534)

I do too. But this is MY best of both as a “single album” release.

SteveMacD 01-23-2021 12:00 AM

Mostly Stevie for Mirage, Christine and Lindsey for Tango.

Macfan4life 01-23-2021 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1263534)

Empire State almost seems like Tusky left overs which is why many claim the song does not fit or is their least favorite from Mirage.
I wish Smile at You made Mirage and I also wish Sleeping Angel made Mirage but not sure I would sacrifice any songs from the album. Like you, I think Mirage was the last real version of Fleetwood Mac and just want to go back in time and have them milk out every last ounce of music they could have.
That's Alright remake from Buck/Nicks era is so polished and the vocal is so good makes me want to keep the song. 1981/1982 Nicks was at her peak vocal strength. Tusk and Mirage are like book ends. One album plays anything but top 40 pop while the other embraces pop. But while Tango embraces pop, its lost in the mid 80s synth pop of the moment. When talented musicians let computers and drum machines do their playing, you lose me.

bwboy 01-23-2021 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1263533)
Big Love
Gypsy
Everywhere
Eyes of the World
Seven Wonders
Hold Me
Book of Love
Little Lies
That’s Alright
Tango in the Night
Love in Store
Straight Back
Isn’t it Midnight
You and I pt 1&2
Wish You Were Here

This shows the almost embarrassing amount of wonderful material by Christine. I even really enjoy Mystified and would be ok if that song were on here, too. Stevie’s selections were the easiest, as Seven Wonders is her only good song on Tango. Lindsey has more of a good selection than Stevie, but many of his songs don’t sound like the rest of Fleetwood Mac played on them. Family Man I hate, and Empire State and Oh Diane are not far from the bottom, either. I love your selections!

To further cloud the discussion, you should consider which outtakes or demos you would have liked to have seen on the actual Tango album. For example, Down Endless Street is one of my favorites, and I’m amazed Lindsey chose that song over Family Man for Tango. I know you mentioned That’s Alright, and I agree that take is great.

BLY 01-23-2021 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1263542)
This shows the almost embarrassing amount of wonderful material by Christine. I even really enjoy Mystified and would be ok if that song were on here, too. Stevie’s selections were the easiest, as Seven Wonders is her only good song on Tango. Lindsey has more of a good selection than Stevie, but many of his songs don’t sound like the rest of Fleetwood Mac played on them. Family Man I hate, and Empire State and Oh Diane are not far from the bottom, either. I love your selections!

To further cloud the discussion, you should consider which outtakes or demos you would have liked to have seen on the actual Tango album. For example, Down Endless Street is one of my favorites, and I’m amazed Lindsey chose that song over Family Man for Tango. I know you mentioned That’s Alright, and I agree that take is great.

I agree with you about Mystified for sure should be included.

HomerMcvie 01-23-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1263541)
Empire State almost seems like Tusky left overs which is why many claim the song does not fit or is their least favorite from Mirage.
I wish Smile at You made Mirage and I also wish Sleeping Angel made Mirage but not sure I would sacrifice any songs from the album. Like you, I think Mirage was the last real version of Fleetwood Mac and just want to go back in time and have them milk out every last ounce of music they could have.
That's Alright remake from Buck/Nicks era is so polished and the vocal is so good makes me want to keep the song. 1981/1982 Nicks was at her peak vocal strength. Tusk and Mirage are like book ends. One album plays anything but top 40 pop while the other embraces pop. But while Tango embraces pop, its lost in the mid 80s synth pop of the moment. When talented musicians let computers and drum machines do their playing, you lose me.

I really don't have any Lindsey songs I hate(like Storms or OH DADDY:lol:). Empire State is typical Lindsey quirkiness. I love it. If I had a worst Lindsey song, I suppose it might be Family Man, but I find the guitar solos redeeming of the Popeye chorus.

Mirage was the peak of their voices, looks, and energy. Why cheap bastard Mick has never managed to get the Mirage video released in it's entirety is criminal.

And yes, Tango blows goats. HORRIBLY dated by the computers taking over. None of it sounds like a band playing.

FuzzyPlum 01-23-2021 02:37 PM

BLY- I agree with you in the main, though albums of the era only generally had 12 tracks.

In that regard:

Big Love
Gypsy
Everywhere
Seven Wonders
Hold Me
Cant Go Back
Little Lies
Tango in the Night
Straight Back
Isn’t it Midnight
You and I pt 2
Wish You Were Here

...though it pains me to leave off That's Alright, Mystified and Caroline.

Tango in the Night is brilliant... warts and all.

BLY 01-23-2021 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1263548)
BLY- I agree with you in the main, though albums of the era only generally had 12 tracks.

In that regard:

Big Love
Gypsy
Everywhere
Seven Wonders
Hold Me
Cant Go Back
Little Lies
Tango in the Night
Straight Back
Isn’t it Midnight
You and I pt 2
Wish You Were Here

Good call and I couldn’t agree more except it must be You and I pt 1 & 2

johnnystorms 01-24-2021 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1263548)

In that regard:

Big Love
Gypsy
Everywhere
Seven Wonders
Hold Me
Cant Go Back
Little Lies
Tango in the Night
Straight Back
Isn’t it Midnight
You and I pt 2
Wish You Were Here

Good sequence, tho replace Straight Back with That's Alright, as Tango and IIM are both rockers as is Straight Back

aleuzzi 01-24-2021 02:08 PM

I could never try to cut and combine these records. Each one is very much its own album with its own sound and its own aesthetic. Unlike most rock-pop bands, the non-hits are as important as the hits. The less commercial “filler” strengthens the key tracks. So, I need “Can’t Go Back” and “That’s Alright” after “Love in Store” and I need “Book of Love” preceding “Gypsy.” Songs like “Only Over You” and “Eyes of the World” are important time pieces, showing us where the band was in 1982.

Tango is such an intentional album, each track carefully placed in the sequence. I couldn’t imagine any of them falling out of the running order (with the exception of “Welcome” which is like a fart that will not clear out of the room.)

HomerMcvie 01-24-2021 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1263559)
(with the exception of “Welcome” which is like a fart that will not clear out of the room.)

I've been saying that about $tevie being in FM for the past decade!

aleuzzi 01-24-2021 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1263547)

And yes, Tango blows goats. HORRIBLY dated by the computers taking over. None of it sounds like a band playing.

It does sound dated. But the one exception about a band truly playing together is “Little Lies.” The way the bass surges through that, the three voices, the delicate guitar harmonics. It is classic Mac a la “Say You Love Me” only with synths and fairlight rather than acoustic piano.

The title tune, “Seven Wonders,” and “Midnight” also SUGGEST band interaction, though not as unified.

UnwindedDreams 01-24-2021 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1263559)
I couldn’t imagine any of them falling out of the running order (with the exception of “Welcome” which is like a fart that will not clear out of the room.)

You should win a Nobel for writing with that sentence; you're brilliant.

However, Welcome to the Room is actually my favorite song. I love all of the sounds on that song and I think that song actually matches the album cover. It's like a Rainforest Cafe song!

The instrumental during the "Oooh downstairs where the big old house is mine" is purfect!