The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Top 5 Christine McVie/Perfect Songs (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59454)

Macfan4life 02-12-2022 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1272725)
None of her solo albums are wholly satisfying but each of them has fine moments. Of the three, I think ITM the most consistent and enjoyable. The production is clean and spare. I don’t think it bland; rather, I sense its very spaciousness is meant to allow her voice and songwriting to take center stage.

The 1969 record is like a lot of records made by women singers at that time—a hodgepodge of styles, a buffet of genres. I wish that record had more minor-key blues tunes like “I’m On My Way” and more stax-inspired R&B tunes like “No Road.” I dig half of it a lot.

I dig half of the 1984 record, too, though the middle of side 2 falls flat for me, redeemed only by “Smile.” The California gloss of most of the record blunts her hook-writing edge. Still, “One in a Million” and “Ask Anybody” are incredibly appealing.

I agree. They are all solid songs and enjoyable. When 1984 was released, I loved it of course but the Sharpe collaboration almost made some of the songs sound country like Love Will Show Us How, I'm So Excited, etc. It was an odd sound for her I thought. But I really enjoyed it. I know she loved working with Sharpe and she did a good job with him. Looking back however, I wish she would have stuck to her guns and did only her songs and brought in a different producer. While I praise the album for not having any 80's schtick, the album could have improved with a few bouncy beats. Love Will Show Us How is a key example. While great in its final form, I think a good producer could have turned it into a much bigger hit. But then again, Chris was not looking for commercial super stardom. She was almost forced to do a solo album and wanted partners to do it with. She is the only member of Fleetwood Mac that I don't dislike any of their solo work. Nicks and Buckingham have plenty of solo stuff I am not crazy about. Some of her work may not be stand outs, but they are good songs and I think that is what she was going for.

macpai 02-28-2022 07:12 AM

At this moment:
I Would Rather Go Blind
Keep on Going
Love in Store
Got a Hold on Me
Temporary One

All-time:
I Would Rather Go Blind
Over My Head (Live)
Hold Me (Mirage)
Love Will Show Us How
Everywhere

Tried to make the medicine go down easier with an all-time five, but it didn’t work. I’d have to return to this thread five times with different songs for that.

nicepace 03-06-2022 10:33 AM

Impossible to choose five out of so many great songs. So I thought I'd list five from my favorite era, the Bob Welch years, because I love promoting that overlooked era of the band. In alphabetical order:

Dissatisfied
Homeward Bound [a song that features great piano and is criminally under-rated by most fans]
Just Crazy Love
Spare Me a Little
Why

I could also do a top five from the post-Bob Welch era, from her pre-FM era, and from the solo albums, but those are different lists altogether.

macpai 03-07-2022 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 1273164)
Impossible to choose five out of so many great songs. So I thought I'd list five from my favorite era, the Bob Welch years, because I love promoting that overlooked era of the band. In alphabetical order:

Dissatisfied
Homeward Bound [a song that features great piano and is criminally under-rated by most fans]
Just Crazy Love
Spare Me a Little
Why

I could also do a top five from the post-Bob Welch era, from her pre-FM era, and from the solo albums, but those are different lists altogether.

Solid list! So much so that I kinda want to see the others you mentioned.

Macfan4life 03-07-2022 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 1273164)

Dissatisfied
Just Crazy Love
Spare Me a Little
Why

I too love the Chris/Bob era. Surprised your list has no songs from Heroes. IMHO Chris got better with every Mac album during the early 70s. She hit a peak on Heroes. Incredible album.

nicepace 03-13-2022 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macpai (Post 1273173)
Solid list! So much so that I kinda want to see the others you mentioned.

I'll give it some thought and post those other lists soon.

nicepace 03-13-2022 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1273175)
I too love the Chris/Bob era. Surprised your list has no songs from Heroes. IMHO Chris got better with every Mac album during the early 70s. She hit a peak on Heroes. Incredible album.

Oh, I completely agree. It's just that I could only pick 5 songs and there just wasn't room on the list.